What exactly is so bad about PU foam?
Jul 21, 2011 11:29 AM
I get that its not natural but to get a mattress that is truly ALL natural costs a pretty penny. I also understand the resentments towards the S brands selling "Latex" mattresses with PU cores and latex tops with deceptive marketing and at a massive mark up . But there are many non S company brands out there selling PU foam core w/ latex beds at a quarter of what a full latex setup would cost - unless one has been fortunate enough to discover the wonders of the foam by mail all latex DIY bed.

Does it come down the fact that PU foam just doesn't last? Is that the essence of the aversion that people seem to have? Surely there are variations wthin the class that would allow for some to be superior to others. When assessing foam top layers or cores is there a density or an ILD to look for? Like is 2.0 lb density not enough ?

Given $600 wouldn't it be wiser to get a foam bed than a lower end S brand?  (Just for the sake of the argument)

I do wonder...

Re: What exactly is so bad about PU foam?
Reply #9 Apr 5, 2015 3:26 AM
FYI: Just to point out the difference between exposure to TDI and the final product of PU, unless they are actually manufacturing PU in their living room, the TDI is not chemically active in the final product. Polyurethanes are chain molecules in which the individual molecules are linked via a urethane bond. The polyurethane bond is chemically relatively inert, which means: once the bond is established it can be broken only with relatively high effort (like if you burn it and breathe in the fumes). Thus it is correspondingly stable, even in an organic environment. If your source of poly is from the U.S. there are regulations that control against unsafe manufacturing. Foam can also be certified through Certi-pur (a not-for-profit independent, accredited testing program) that ensures these standards: • Made without ozone depleters• Made without PBDE flame retardants• Made without mercury, lead and other heavy metals• Made without formaldehyde• Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission• Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
-river
This message was modified Apr 5, 2015 by river

Recent Posts