What is the best foundation for latex mattress?
May 2, 2011 2:34 PM
Anyone have recommendations for a foundation for a latex mattress that will fit into a regular bed frame? I'm looking for maximum motion suppression, minimum noise - I guess good build quality will accomplish this. A slats-only base wont work since the bed frame is only 6" off the ground and I like too add some height.

Thanks!

Re: What is the best foundation for latex mattress?
Reply #7 May 6, 2011 1:20 PM
I'd think there would be any number of Co's that offer platform foundations that look like traditional box springs.  We bought a new foundation with our latex mattress last fall.  Looks, fits into a traditional bed frame just as a box springs would.  Ours is covered in same material as the mattress.  Offered in 2 different heights and no noticable give to it.  It is supported full length along both sides by the bed frame as a box spring would.  One requirement that the Co required was for a qween was the foundation needed to be supported in at least one place on the center all the way to the floor.  Top surface is fairly thick slats on about 5-6" centers.  Don't recall the specific cost as we bought as a set but think the cost was close to $200.
Reply #8 May 10, 2011 3:35 PM
budgy wrote:

I probably wouldn't recommend the above foundation if its exactly as pictured.  Not because it would damage the mattress but I think the type of slats (curved) used will bend significantly under weight and possibly make the mattress feel uneven, especially if it is a thinner latex mattress.  

I am indeed using bent wood under my latex mattress and I have the same concern as Budgy about it. I thought from the beginning, "this isn't going to last". It provided an excellent feel for my latex mattress. But now that excellent feel is beginning to deteriorate. I cannot be sure it's the frame/foundation. It could just be me. But I am concerned which is why I want to buy something with a similar feel but more substantial. See my thread on foundations and the suggestions given me there.

Reply #9 May 10, 2011 5:06 PM
That's good feedback on those adjustable frames - I had wondered about that too.

Here's another slat frame option I found on amazon. Seems sturdy from the reveiws.

Reply #10 May 11, 2011 6:48 AM
Is there any reason that a plywood platform would not be suitable for a latex mattress? Does latex need to "breathe"?
This message was modified May 11, 2011 by Phoebe2011
Reply #12 May 11, 2011 9:34 PM
proof1st wrote:

That's good feedback on those adjustable frames - I had wondered about that too.

Here's another slat frame option I found on amazon. Seems sturdy from the reveiws.

Yes latex should breathe, and this frame at amazon looks like it would be fine. I want something like this but adjustable in terms of firmness/softness (not adjustable in terms of raising or lowering).

Reply #13 May 15, 2011 10:17 AM
Here is the foundation we bought for our latex mattress. Make sure if you order one that you tell them you want the EZ-Sleep foundation with the nicer cover. I should mention that I went to Home Depot and purchased a couple 1" X 4" X 8' and made up 4 or 5 extra slats so I could make the space between each slat about 2 inches.

http://www.bedinabox.com/product/52.html

Reply #14 May 15, 2011 10:47 AM
Well, the Goodrich 4" latex mattress placed on a plywood foundation that we have been sleeping on for 47 years has never had any condensation or mold problems. We have used a thin rubber pad, covered with some kind of soft material over the part of the bed where the trunks of our body were all those years. Maybe that or the fact that the latex was only 4" were the reason we had no problems. One person at Savvy Rest said that we could use a plywood foundation. Didn't ask anyone else, but will ask that question again.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Reply #15 May 15, 2011 1:09 PM
Phoebe2011, that is good to know that your mattress lasted so long on a plywood foundation.  Maybe it has to do with the covering of your mattress and the location where you live. What state do you live in?
Reply #16 May 15, 2011 1:31 PM

Lynn2006, 

Yes, I meant to say that we live in Kentucky where it there is a lot of humidity. The cover on the mattress is the same type of ticking that used to be found back in the 60's, a heavy gray and white striped canvas, at least it feels like canvas. I have the rubber pad on top of that, then a fairly thin mattress pad under the sheets. I doubt if many people still have that type ticking on their mattresses these days, because most people don't keep their beds this long. Friends and family think we are crazy for still sleeping on this old mattress, but it seems to be doing what it aways did. It is firm, but has some "give" to it also. I  have been spending the last few night thinking about how it feels while I am trying to go to sleep.

I may go with the Flobed mattress, but think it is Talalay, which may not hold up as well as Dunlop. I also like the fact that the mattress can be returned. I am checking out SleepEZ too.

Thanks again!

Recent Posts