Two more days left to exchange my Simmons Mattress (didn't like it)
Mar 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Some of you may have seen my first thread that explains my story:

So after months and months of researching, going from mattress store to mattress store, I finally made a promise to myself that for my new year's resolution I'd finally pick a new mattress.
I had been sleeping on a old, innerspring, sealy posturpedic hand me down from parents. That mattress is probably twenty yrs old

Never had any serious back issues though but that's probably because I'm still young (27) and workout (lift weights) religiously (5 days a week) and eat healthy foods.

So In my search of mattresses I narrowed down my options to Simmons beautyrest, Sealy posturpedic, and Serta perfect sleeper. My old boss whose a Chiropractor has a Simmons so he recommended that brand for me. I ended up going with the Simmons because of his recommendation and the price was great for a king, pillowtop ($800).

I've had the bed since Jan 3rd and I like the new mattress, but don't love it. I've had numerous nights where I toss and turn all night and can't fall asleep. I've also woken up with low, achey back pain that I've never experienced before. I am a stomach sleeper so I know that's bad for your back but I didn't use to feel this with my old, worn out, hand me down mattress.

I have a little over a week left of my 60 day exchange policy and I'm considering exchanging the mattress for a different one. I just get scared I'll choose another mattress and will not even like it as much as the Simmons and I'll be screwed lol! The other mattress I'm considering (went back into Sleep America where I bought the mattress and layed on more beds) is a Serta. This is supposedly there "higher end" model that has a 20 yr warranty and more supportive foam in the hip areas and what not. I think the label says Serta perfect day "morning sunrise" or something like that.

The sad thing is the serta is around $1600 so I'd have to pay  a lot more to switch to that mattress. It would be worth it though if I can sleep a lot better.

Just needing some opinions please to help with my decision. I'm stuck here :(

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Ok, so by March 3rd, I have to choose my new mattress to exchange my Simmons with. The recommendation you guys gave me was to buy a firm mattress and put a latex topper on it.

For a king sized mattress around 1,000, I really only have a few choices. A Sealy non pillowtop, a serta perfect sleeper, and a Europa firm bed. I had never heard of Europa but the sales lady says they just don't advertise like the big "S" brands. She said there good beds though (individual pocketed coils, 10 yr warranties).

Which of these would be the smart pick? I'm deciding tomorrow so please help!

Thanks...
Re: Two more days left to exchange my Simmons Mattress (didn't like it)
Reply #24 Mar 5, 2010 10:31 PM
sandman wrote:
The estate I liked was the luxury firm no pillowtop.  Is that the one you tried?   If you want really firm, they have an Ultra firm estate that felt rock solid.  Too firm me to sleep on.  The luxury firm (one step softer than the ultra firm) estate felt firm and supportive, yet probably sleepable without a top.  Who knows if in 6 months it would be sagging.

I believe the price of a queen estate was around $1275 on sale at Macy's.  Right now it looks like they increased the price a bit to around $1500

The estate has a different coil system.  It is coil in a coil.  The salesman told me that the estate was much better, but he may have been blowing smoke.  I had trouble getting info. on exactly what was in the S&F, so that made me a bit nervous.

In the end I decided that I wanted to be able to customize myself.  I tried a flobed that I pretty much liked, but I ended up getting a good deal on a Sealy Reserve that I cut open (you would not believe the junk foam inside) and put in my own latex and 1" of memory foam.  I am pretty happy with that right now. 

The firmer one (with the least foam) still might be your best bet, but you may need to add 1-2" to make it comfortable enough.  If you end up doing mattress surgery, you don't want to pay up a lot for the foam they put in.

Yep, that's exactly it Sandman. The guy quoted me 1361 for that mattress in a king, "firm", no pillowtop. Sounds like a great deal.

Yeah, he showed me the coil in coil system (they had a display) and how it works. I layed on both mattresses for a few minutes with a pillow. The estate has more of a "foamy" feel to it. It would easily feel softer than the luxury firm I chose.

I'm still debating on just sticking with the luxury firm, or paying a few hundred more bucks and getting the best (the estate firm). The estate firm would NOT need a topper because it has plenty of memory foam on top.

Heeeeeelllllppppp :)
Reply #25 Mar 5, 2010 10:51 PM
Anytime you buy a mattress with memory foam or any foam in it you are asking for trouble.  It never lasts, you can't replace it, unless you do mattress surgery.

Read all of our complaints here regarding that.... JMHO.
Reply #26 Mar 5, 2010 10:55 PM
Also, the estate mattress compared to the luxury is much taller. Does that mean anything? Does that mean it's that much better?
Reply #27 Mar 5, 2010 10:56 PM
Leo3 wrote:
Anytime you buy a mattress with memory foam or any foam in it you are asking for trouble.  It never lasts, you can't replace it, unless you do mattress surgery.

Read all of our complaints here regarding that.... JMHO.

Good point, so maybe the luxury would be the better option....
Reply #28 Mar 5, 2010 11:13 PM
woofman81 wrote:
Also, the estate mattress compared to the luxury is much taller. Does that mean anything? Does that mean it's that much better?

Taller is probably worse, because that means more foam that can go bad.  If possible, you should try to find out what foam is above the springs for both choices.

If you look on the Macy's website for the estate (I have a link above), there is one review that said it seemed fine at first, but after 8 hours it was like a sinkhole.  Yikes.  That would be my fear. That is a sign of too much foam.  You can't take one review too seriously, but my guess is the luxury has less foam since it is firmer and shorter.  That is probably less risky.  The estate coil system might be better in theory, but who knows in practice.  

There is the Estate Ultra Firm which was very firm.  Hard to see that cratering in too much, but one never knows until you sleep on it.   If you go to a Macy's you might be able to try it.  Not sure if you have that option though.

I would probably go with the luxury one, if it indeed feels firmer to you.  It might be too firm at first, but you can always make it softer with a topper.  If it too soft you are pretty much in trouble.

This message was modified Mar 5, 2010 by sandman
Reply #29 Mar 6, 2010 12:00 AM
sandman wrote:
Taller is probably worse, because that means more foam that can go bad.  If possible, you should try to find out what foam is above the springs for both choices.

If you look on the Macy's website for the estate (I have a link above), there is one review that said it seemed fine at first, but after 8 hours it was like a sinkhole.  Yikes.  That would be my fear. That is a sign of too much foam.  You can't take one review too seriously, but my guess is the luxury has less foam since it is firmer and shorter.  That is probably less risky.  The estate coil system might be better in theory, but who knows in practice.  

There is the Estate Ultra Firm which was very firm.  Hard to see that cratering in too much, but one never knows until you sleep on it.   If you go to a Macy's you might be able to try it.  Not sure if you have that option though.

I would probably go with the luxury one, if it indeed feels firmer to you.  It might be too firm at first, but you can always make it softer with a topper.  If it too soft you are pretty much in trouble.

Yeah I just went to the Macys website and read some reviews. The reviews for the luxury firm weren't great either but there were only 3 reviews. 2 bad and 1 good so who knows.

I agree about the luxury being less risky since it is firmer than the estate.

As of right now, unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'll cross my fingers and keep my exchange order for the S&F Luxury Firm.

It gets delivered this Sunday
Reply #30 Mar 6, 2010 12:35 AM
Some info I found online comparing the Luxury and Estate collections.....

The Chestnut St. is S&F's starting model...the "H" grade and in their Luxury Collection. The Luxury Collection models have 825 (queen count), individually pocketed coil with one coil in each pocket. The Governor's Palace is the "P" grade in the Estate Collection. The Estate models have 651 (queen count) individually pocketed coils with a dual coil in each pocket. Besides being their stronger unit, the "P" grade has a layer of latex in it, which the Chestnut St does not have.
Every level in the S&F line is available in a Luxury Plush or Luxury Firm...with or without a pillowtop. The "H" grade lux. plush is 13" the "P" grade is 15.25" thick.
All the S&F models are well made. If you are of average weight, it really only comes down to personal comfort. If you are heavier, the dual coil in the Estate models are more durable. And while there are a higher grades, the "P" grade has the best spec.

This message was modified Mar 6, 2010 by woofman81
Reply #31 Mar 7, 2010 7:35 PM
New mattress in :)

Much firmer compared to the Simmon's obviously. Would it be bad to start with one of those basic egg crate foam pads to soften it up a little?
Reply #32 Mar 8, 2010 12:13 AM
woofman81 wrote:
New mattress in :)

Much firmer compared to the Simmon's obviously. Would it be bad to start with one of those basic egg crate foam pads to soften it up a little?

Been there and done that, I didn't care for the simple eggcrate,  I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, they don't make those good either, thats in my closet.  Then I got one at Target, it was so bad I took it back, it wouldn't even expand.

Try memory foam or latex, or featherbed (tried that too, it is in my closet).  Featherbed was really nice, but you had to fluff it every single day.

Is it miserable without anything so far? 
Reply #33 Mar 8, 2010 12:31 AM
Leo3 wrote:
Been there and done that, I didn't care for the simple eggcrate,  I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, they don't make those good either, thats in my closet.  Then I got one at Target, it was so bad I took it back, it wouldn't even expand.

Try memory foam or latex, or featherbed (tried that too, it is in my closet).  Featherbed was really nice, but you had to fluff it every single day.

Is it miserable without anything so far? 

I haven't slept a full night in it yet (got it delivered today) but took a nap on it and I could easily stand it the way it is.

I just thought a cheap topper could make it feel a tad more comfy.

Recent Posts