Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme vs. Costco Ara 13" Pillow Top Visco Foam
Jun 13, 2010 10:26 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. My husband and I are about to buy the third mattress of our 10-year marriage :-) I have been doing a little "light reading" on this forum beforehand and I thought I would share our experience so far. I will also report back after we purchase and test-drive.

I had spinal fusion surgery for scoliosis when I was 13, and have had back issues (shoulder, neck, and low back/hip areas) off and on ever since. I see an excellent chiropractor about every month or so (Gonstead school) to manage flareups. I cannot sleep on any kind of air mattress or sofa without feeling wrecked - I'm better off on a padded floor. My husband doesn't have back trouble and can sleep pretty much on anything. I weigh about 105 lbs and he weighs about 170.

Ten years ago we bought a Sealy Posturepedic Camillo Plush. It was among the last crop of SCo flippable mattresses and we have really liked it. After traveling we're always happy to be back home on our own bed. It's not as if it ELIMINATES my back and neck troubles... but they're far worse on other mattresses. Plus, it's a double and we just bought a new queen-sized bed.

About six months ago, we went to a local company that makes double-sided mattresses (Original Mattress Company) and got a new double mattress. I felt like I should err on the side of hard rather than too soft. It wound up being too hard for me to get used to, even with a 2" cheap-o memory foam topper to try to soften it, it was the princess and the pea. Rather than return it, we gave it to our five-year-old daughter.

We are strongly considering the Tempur-pedic Cloud series, or similar. I don't like the feel of the other Tempur-pedics I tried, and our "mental" $$ limit is $1800 anyway.

I went to mattress stores twice this weekend and kept going back and forth between Cloud and Cloud Supreme. I liked both... I think the Cloud may be a little TOO hard for my husband to be comfortable. It's $1800 locally with free delivery. The Supreme is $2400 locally with free delivery.

On Costco.com I found the Ara 13" Pillow Top Visco Foam. Comparing its basic description, it SEEMS to be similar to the makeup of the Cloud Supreme. $1399 with base.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11307563&whse=BC&Ne=5000127+4000000&eCat=BC|93&N=4018920%204294899766&Mo=10&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Ara:

3" of 5 lb. Visco Foam - then 3 5/8" 5 lb. Visco Foam

Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme:

2" of 4.1" Tempur-ES Foam - then 2" 5.3 lb Tempur-ES Foam

So I'm wondering... are these comparable?

(The other route is to go with the "devil I know" and get another Sealy Posturepedic Plush, or a Simmons Beautyrest Cushion Firm. But he and I both feel it's the perfect time to see if memory foam/Tempur-pedic is a better choice.)

The Cloud (regular) seems like it might be similar to Costco's Sleep Science 10" .... although the Sleep Science doesn't say what density their visco foam is here. Hmmm.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11472257&whse=BC&Ne=5000127%204000000&eCat=BC|93&N=4018920%204294899766&Mo=10&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Re: Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme vs. Costco Ara 13" Pillow Top Visco Foam
Reply #6 Jun 16, 2010 6:41 PM
We bought a mattress at 5 PM this afternoon, and it is already set up in our bedroom!
We decided on.... (dramatic pause)

...the Tempur-Pedic Cloud!

Not the Supreme ... I definitely thought that would be too soft. Just the regular. We got free delivery, two free Tempur-pedic pillows, and a free thin waterproof mattress topper, and they took away an old mattress. With tax, the total came to just over $1900.

I know the Cloud isn't for everyone but it's the one I kept returning to in the stores. Just felt right.

As promised, I will update and review.

Reply #7 Jun 16, 2010 6:50 PM
gaddygirl wrote:

We bought a mattress at 5 PM this afternoon, and it is already set up in our bedroom!
We decided on.... (dramatic pause)

...the Tempur-Pedic Cloud!

Not the Supreme ... I definitely thought that would be too soft. Just the regular. We got free delivery, two free Tempur-pedic pillows, and a free thin waterproof mattress topper, and they took away an old mattress. With tax, the total came to just over $1900.

I know the Cloud isn't for everyone but it's the one I kept returning to in the stores. Just felt right.

As promised, I will update and review.

Gaddygirl: If you don't mind and please tell me from which place di dyou but the cloud?

what size is it? King size?

did you also buy the foundation too?

what method did you us eto pay them? Check?

good luck

Thanks.

Reply #8 Jun 16, 2010 6:55 PM
It is a queen size, we did buy the foundation, and it was from a company called Factory Mattress.

http://www.factorymattressusa.com/

Not sure why you want to know how we paid, but if you must know, it was by credit card.

Reply #9 Jun 16, 2010 7:36 PM
Ouch
What ype of credit card, Visa? 

And, did you have to sign a little piece of paper, or did they have one of those touchscreens?

What were the delivery guys wearing?

Reply #10 Jun 16, 2010 7:38 PM
garypen wrote:

What ype of credit card, Visa? 

And, did you have to sign a little piece of paper, or did they have one of those touchscreens?

What were the delivery guys wearing?

Good questions. thanks gary.

Also what were the ladies wearing? Lipstick color? haha...

Reply #11 Jun 23, 2010 8:02 AM
Update on the Tempur-Pedic Cloud we bought last week, as promised...

Right after we bought it, we were at the beach for three nights on a springy older coil mattress. Last year on this same mattress, I had a hard time. This year, I brought along the Tempur-Pedic pillow that came with our new mattress, and my sleep was MUCH better. I don't think I will leave the house without this pillow again! yes

OK, so we're back home, and have spent three nights on the new mattress. The name "Cloud" is a misnomer - to me, it feels more like sleeping on Play-Doh. I have been waking up a little stiff; but on the plus side, my vertebrae don't need to "pop" in the morning as with other mattresses. Also, I don't toss and turn as much. But I do not LOVE my new queen mattress... in fact I am having thoughts of sneaking back into the guest bedroom and cheating with the Sealy Posturepedic double mattress that we do both love.

The problem I'm having right now is that my husband seems to really hate the new bed but is too nice to come out and say it. This morning he reported that his lower back (small of his back) hurt. This man NEVER has back trouble, so that concerns me. He has mentioned several times that the bed "seems kind of hard" and "I guess I'll get used to it after twenty years."

Unless something happens in the next 10 days and we both adapt, I gotta try something different.

If we return the mattress, we will get zapped with about a $200 restocking fee, plus buying the pillows (expensive but I'll do it!) and waterproof mattress cover (which is fine with me but again, expensive, maybe $50+) We paid $1800 so I will guess we will have about $1400 in store credit. That would buy another Sealy Posturepedic Plush (the aforementioned "devil we know") that is very comfortable to us.

The first thing I am willing to try is putting a thin layer of something softer on top. Don't know what... and don't know if that would completely negate any positive effects of having a Tempur-pedic. I guess I will check out Sleeplikeabear. I know a lot of people put latex toppers on, but I'm not sure what the best "softening" layer would be to try on a Tempur-pedic. Memory foam from Overstock or Costco?

This is the second mattress I have bought within a year that is turning out too firm for comfort. frown

Reply #12 Jun 23, 2010 11:04 AM
I am surprised you, and especially your husband, are finding the Cloud too firm.  I weigh 105 lb and when I tried it out I found it too soft - the first bed I have ever found to be too soft.  Since you both like your Sealy, if you can still get the same model, that would seem to be a serious contender.
Reply #13 Jun 23, 2010 12:22 PM
This is weird. Cloud is firm - first time heard this!
Reply #14 Jun 23, 2010 12:49 PM
Correction - it was the Cloud Supreme I rejected because it was too soft.  I did not try the Cloud Not-Supreme.
Reply #15 Jun 23, 2010 2:58 PM
Yes - this is the regular Cloud ... not the Supreme which is billed as a "Pillowtop" model.

If we know that it will soften up or that we are likely to adjust to it over a matter of days or weeks, we will stick with it, but it is just a little disheartening to not LOVE your new mattress right away, especially when we could have gotten a cheaper one and maybe been happier ... ?

I think we signed something at the mattress store that said we would give it the old college try for 30+ days or something before giving it back... I'll have to check it out. In the meantime, I think we'll try throwing a 2" memory foam topper on it and see what happens.

Recent Posts