Soliciting feedback on Vi-Spring and Hypnos
Aug 23, 2010 3:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been digging into the archives on my research for my next mattress.  Both my fiance and I prefer the feel of spring mattress over latex and that's what we are considering at the moment.

So far, I have learned from here is to avoid the plush/pillow tops as they tend to break down over a relatively short time.  Also, the 3 "S" brands were not what they used to be.  I have also get to learned about lesser known brands like Vi-Spring and Hypnos.  These brands seem to be mythical and have no review at all anywhere.  Are there any owners here who would like to share their thoughts?

Re: Soliciting feedback on Vi-Spring and Hypnos
Reply #16 Sep 15, 2010 2:07 PM
Green Sleep S200 Base

It's definitely a functional base system, dowels and slats placed on natural rubber (that is encased in organic cotton).  I am just hesitant to call it a boxspring as there is no traditional coil spring, but it does contribute to the same bottemless feeling that a proper coil mattress should have. 

As far as the coil system goes I would say its reasonably conforming, more so than any offset or bonnell coil.  The Bonnell coil in the Green Sleep beds would be more comparable to the Offset used in a Royal Pedic.  Yet because of the finer gauge steel and higher spring count used in a Vi-Spring or Hastens bed they will be more able to conform to body shape...I think particularly the Vi-Spring coils is pretty amazing how they have to honeycomb nest everything and tie it by hand.  Thats a labour intensive job to be sure. 

Reply #17 Sep 15, 2010 3:09 PM
Thanks, I thought it was just a solid wood foundation.  I didn't realize it had some give to it. 

I only see the latex mattress on the Green Sleep website, so they are a bit confusing. 

Looks like Vi-spring is only in Chicago at this point. 

Forgetting the comfort layers for a moment, it sounds like you are saying that the Green Sleep coil system and foundation might provide a more comforming and comfortable base level than the Royal-Pedic? I assume both would last a long time.

Reply #18 Sep 15, 2010 3:41 PM
GreenSleep's website is really out of date right now.  The coil beds are new and have yet to be added, they are planning on re-launching everything pretty soon.  Yes excluding some differences in upholstery you would be right.  As far as durability its hard to say...the Royal Pedics all use more upholstery in the cores of their mattresses (even the ones with removable tops)....I personally am always of the approach that the less polyurethane and the less fibre used, the better a mattress will hold its shape.  But as I have been quick to admit rubber itself has some limitations....all materials truly do. 

My recommendations for a mattress with no consideration given to cost and unlimited budget assumed:

If someone likes anything firm to medium soft, rubber and or rubber with a quality spring core is simply the most practical. Holds its shape better, still very breathable.  The problem with really low ILD talalay latex's is that they tend to dish out and people will still hammock in bed, I have experienced this first hand on the softest latex bed Natura makes, it might work well for some, but it may not be good for other peoples posture.  This mattress I am speaking of had some 14" of latex, 6" firm dunlop core, 8" of progressively softer layers on top. 

If someone absolutely needs or desires an incredibly soft mattress and needs good posture and alignment, then their chances of acheiving both are better with a Hastens or a Vi-Spring.  The really fine gauge of wire allows people to sink into the coil core more which is a more precise type of contouring than ANY variety of foam will acheive, they will also be marginally more breathable.  The downside is that these beds do have a fair bit of settling of the materials. 

In my immediate neck of the woods there is no one selling Hastens, there is one Vi-Spring dealer and a couple Hypnos dealers.  And then there is myself carrying Green Sleep.  Based on the criteria I outlined above I wish I carried Vi-Spring or Hastens because there is the odd customer (id say 1 or 2 out of 10) that tries a Green Sleep, likes the concept, but doesn't quite find it soft enough.  This is going to be a little less frequent in the future because some of their new models are getting a little bit softer feeling to them.  On the flip side of the coin, I have convinced quite a few people that for them a Green Sleep was a better match for them than a Vi-Spring or Hypnos.  One of these couples simply tried a Vi-Spring and didn't like how soft it was. Another couple loved how soft the initial feeling of the Vi-Spring was (I believe it was the Regal Supreme) but they were really worried about the compression of all that fibre, they have given me an update recently and they are still very happy with their Green Sleep.  Because Hypnos has been around in my area longer, quite a few of these people are actually previous Hypnos owners that found the beds too hard and within several years of ownership were left with a bitter taste in their mouth (the Hypnos beds are all quite firm).   The delivery company I deal with is ran by a husband and wife team...they got a Hypnos bed in their guest room free of charge as the customer that ordered a Green Sleep had no desire for it anymore.  There are no Royal Pedic dealers near me (they approached me to see if we would sell it, and I would if I only had more room to do so).  So I have no real experience comparing a Green Sleep to say a Royal Pedic, to get any feedback on the comfort difference from multiple people.

Reply #19 Sep 15, 2010 5:16 PM
Thanks Budgy.  At some point down the road I might be upgrading to a larger mattress, and move what I am currently using to a spare bedroom.  I am a side sleeper and like it on the medium to soft side.  From what I have tried,  I think I prefer the spring+latex+something else soft  combo to all latex.   I am also liking the concept of having a good base coil / box spring system, with a seperate/customizable comfort layer. 

Vi-spring is not anywhere close to where I live, and does not have a seperate top layer (from I know).  Might be too expensive as well.  Hastens is at least nearby, and the very top layer might have some flexibility.  A lot of built in fibre though and probably the most expensive option (although I don't know what a Vi-spring costs).   Still, I will probably at least try a Hastens at some point to see what I might be missing.  Maybe I can find a hotel that uses them.

Royal-Pedic is nearby.  They have a lot of cotton built into their basic model, so not sure how that will hold up over time.  Still this might be a decent option.

Green Sleep seems to have the least fibre, as you say.  I viewed it not having the traditional high quality box spring as a possible negative, but sounds like it is better than I thought.   I like the pocketed coil concept as more conforming, but not sure if fatigue on the most used coils would reduce the longevity.

I have been told that they don't sell it without the pillow top layer, and I am not sure if theirs would work for me (if it is essentially dunlop).   Still, I could not use it at all or possibly augment it with something.  I think they have some retailers in
California, but not sure how close.

I am not worried about using softer talalay, as long as it can be replaced.  That will work better for me than dunlop.

Reply #20 Sep 15, 2010 5:38 PM
sandman, is there a Carpe Diem dealership in your area?  They basically have a spring system very similar to the Hastens (both Swedish companies) but use a Talalay latex topper instead of the horsehair/cotton. I liked them better than the Hastens but to import one into Canada was just out of the question for my budget.
Reply #21 Sep 15, 2010 6:26 PM
DianeK wrote:

sandman, is there a Carpe Diem dealership in your area?  They basically have a spring system very similar to the Hastens (both Swedish companies) but use a Talalay latex topper instead of the horsehair/cotton. I liked them better than the Hastens but to import one into Canada was just out of the question for my budget.

Yes, they are nearby.  How is their pricing compared to Hastens?

Reply #22 Sep 15, 2010 7:24 PM
sandman wrote:

Yes, they are nearby.  How is their pricing compared to Hastens?

Comparable.  What I liked about them compared to Hastens was (1) a latex topper doesn't need to be massaged, (2) I think I reacted badly to horsehair the one night I slept on a Hastens.

I fell dead asleep for over an hour in the Conneticut showroom on a Carpe Diem, and as you know from my posts here, I haven't had a lot of success with latex yet their latex topper was just fine - maybe something to do with the spring system underneath??.

Reply #23 Oct 29, 2010 3:36 PM
I have owned a Hypnos Eminence for quite some time and love it ! It is the best bed I slept on, and before I purchased this bed 

I did extensive research on others ( hastens, Vi spring, natura, green sleep ) 

This is a well made product and has Royal warrants from the Queen to prove it ! 

we love ours !

Reply #24 Jul 13, 2015 12:42 AM
I bought a Vispring Masterpiece bed in 2006 and I have to say it is the best bed I have ever slept on. It envelopes your body and provides you with the most comfortable sleep you'll ever have. And this is coming from a woman who has 2 different forms of severe degenerative scoliosis as well as a large piece of my L4 vertibrae missing from an accident.

It is quite simply worth the money and if I ever choose to purchase another bed it will be another Masterpiece.
Reply #25 Jul 16, 2015 3:38 PM
I wonder if they are made the same way today.

Recent Posts