Soliciting feedback on Vi-Spring and Hypnos
Aug 23, 2010 3:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been digging into the archives on my research for my next mattress.  Both my fiance and I prefer the feel of spring mattress over latex and that's what we are considering at the moment.

So far, I have learned from here is to avoid the plush/pillow tops as they tend to break down over a relatively short time.  Also, the 3 "S" brands were not what they used to be.  I have also get to learned about lesser known brands like Vi-Spring and Hypnos.  These brands seem to be mythical and have no review at all anywhere.  Are there any owners here who would like to share their thoughts?

Re: Soliciting feedback on Vi-Spring and Hypnos
Reply #1 Aug 23, 2010 4:48 PM
I do not own either but have checked them out quite extensively, and spent a night on a Hypnos.  As a 100lb female side sleeper this is how I would rate them:  Hypnos - very firm, Vi-Spring - firm to medium-firm.  I would recommend adding Green Sleep to your list as they make a high quality spring bed and use latex as the comfort top which won't compress like some of the other fibres used in Hypnos and Vi-Spring upholstery.  They would all be in a similar price range.
Reply #2 Aug 23, 2010 9:14 PM
also check out the shifman handmade van gogh mattress. absolutely perfect. to me, the best bed I have ever slept on. not available at bloomingdales, stickley furniture in nyc sells them, as do many top end furniture stores on the east coast. Unless you are going to build your own, of course
Reply #3 Aug 24, 2010 12:05 AM
DianeK wrote:

I do not own either but have checked them out quite extensively, and spent a night on a Hypnos.  As a 100lb female side sleeper this is how I would rate them:  Hypnos - very firm, Vi-Spring - firm to medium-firm.  I would recommend adding Green Sleep to your list as they make a high quality spring bed and use latex as the comfort top which won't compress like some of the other fibres used in Hypnos and Vi-Spring upholstery.  They would all be in a similar price range.

Thanks for your reply, DianeK.  I share the same impression as you regarding both brand with my brief visit to a retailer over the weekend.  They have on the floor Hemsley and Sherbourne from Hypos Castle series, The Signatory, Regal Supreme and Baronet Supreme from Vi-Spring.  Having able to try them side-by-side, I prefers the Vi-Spring over the Hypnos.  I don't have a limitless budget but I see this as an investment for a long term.  I truly believe in getting the best I can afford will save me time and money in a long run.  If the price truly reflects the quality and durabilty of the mattress, I am willing to stretch my budget.  But I can hardly find any reviews from owner for either brand.

I thought Green Sleep made latex mattress only?

Reply #4 Aug 24, 2010 12:06 AM
olenska wrote:

also check out the shifman handmade van gogh mattress. absolutely perfect. to me, the best bed I have ever slept on. not available at bloomingdales, stickley furniture in nyc sells them, as do many top end furniture stores on the east coast. Unless you are going to build your own, of course

Shifman is on my list but they don't have any dealer here in Vancouver, BC.

Reply #5 Aug 24, 2010 12:48 AM
Besides their all latex models, Green Sleep also makes a mattress with hand-tied pocket coils which is topped with latex.  Their foundations are either slat-based, or dowel based, both of which have quite a bit of give.  I'm giving these serious consideration.  I have to say that the one night I slept on a Hypnos at a B&B was even more uncomfortable as the 3 nights I once slept on a tempurpedic!  Even my husband, at almost double my weight, found the Hypnos way too firm.  I don't doubt that they are excellently made beds but you really have to want a firm bed to get on of these.
Reply #6 Sep 14, 2010 2:04 PM
I went to a store yesterday that had both Hypnos and Vi-Spring. I agree Hypnos was WAY too firm...solid like a rock. Sleeping on the floor would be less expensive option with the same feel. The Vi-Spring beds were much more comfortable, I like their philosophy...price points are nice and all natural materials are amazing. I love the guarentee and the promise they offer too. Have you heard of Hastens? You might consider that as an option as well if you are looking to invest and staying away from Latex. People have a funny way of thinking latex is natural, but unless it comes out of the tree (it is in it's original form a sap) in the shape of a mattress... it is not natural. They add fun things like amonia to it to make it soft and supple. Sticking with a company that uses zero synthetics is going to be better for you in the long run. There are TONS of companies out there that claim to have natural materials, however most of these have a certain percentage of poly content...thats the only way they can keep their "natural materials" together... just really investigate every company you are looking into.

Best of luck!

Sincerely, Bed Snob

Reply #7 Sep 14, 2010 3:03 PM
Dear Bedsnob,

Ammonia is added to most latex that is shipped long distances to prevent vulcanization.  It is not added to make the product softer.  GreenSleep processes their latex without the use of ammonia as whatever they harvest in the morning is turned into rubber cores later the same day the need for ammonia as a stabilizing agent is simply not required...its not like when rubber is processed in the US or in Europe there is a large amount of aqueous ammonia added into the rubber during shipping.  Only a  small amount of ash is added to turn the product into a foam.  The end result for them is about 97% natural rubber content and some sulfur ash residual (also natural).  If you literally mean it isn't natural if it doesn't occur in nature in the shape of a mattress then nothing is truly natural.  On the poly content....yes most "latex" beds use polyurethane in the construction...not all...but it is never actually part of the latex foam itself...these are two completely different materials, typically this is S brand practice to still use large amounts of polyfoam in the construction.  All that being said, Hastens and Vi-Spring make a great truly natural product if you do like a softer feel.  I would agree that Hypnos mattresses are all typically very firm. GreenSleep does not make their beds the same way as Vi-Spring or Hastens, however they do produce some of the purest mattresses in the world and have the certifications to back it up.  Pro's and con's to both types of beds in reality. 

Reply #8 Sep 14, 2010 4:54 PM
bedsnob wrote:

I went to a store yesterday that had both Hypnos and Vi-Spring. I agree Hypnos was WAY too firm...solid like a rock. Sleeping on the floor would be less expensive option with the same feel. The Vi-Spring beds were much more comfortable, I like their philosophy...price points are nice and all natural materials are amazing. I love the guarentee and the promise they offer too. Have you heard of Hastens? You might consider that as an option as well if you are looking to invest and staying away from Latex. People have a funny way of thinking latex is natural, but unless it comes out of the tree (it is in it's original form a sap) in the shape of a mattress... it is not natural. They add fun things like amonia to it to make it soft and supple. Sticking with a company that uses zero synthetics is going to be better for you in the long run. There are TONS of companies out there that claim to have natural materials, however most of these have a certain percentage of poly content...thats the only way they can keep their "natural materials" together... just really investigate every company you are looking into.

Best of luck!

Sincerely, Bed Snob

Unfortunately, no one carries Hastens in my city.  The closest retailer would be south of the border, 200km away in Seattle, WA.  Also, if I am not mistaken, Hastens are way more expensive than the lower end Vi-Spring I am considering.

Reply #9 Sep 14, 2010 6:16 PM
budgy, what do you think about the new lien of Greensleep coil mattress? 
Reply #10 Sep 14, 2010 7:30 PM
Yeah there are millions of ways to process latex. http://www.sleepezbeds.com/latex-buyers-guide.html The point is, if it is in sap form is is natural latex, once you CHANGE it, it's not natural. Adding sulfur, ammonia, ash doesn't in any way convince me that latex is the way to go. Side note: I did sleep on a nice latex/spring bed for many years that was a hand me down. It was from a small company in Idaho that makes all their mattresses. That is neither here nor there...the person I was addressing who is looking for a bed specifically said they were looking for brands that had springs vs. latex. I own a Hastens. I am for sure a living testament to how amazing it has been and life transforming. I have had my bed for 3 years now, and it is better now than it was originally. My boyfriend loves it too...pretty sure he might be dating me for my bed. ;-) It's like a dowry...I found this video online of a Hastens vs a non Hastens bed burning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G6Bwa9nFEQ . If you are really interested in investing in your next bed, you should get to know the brands, the reviews, the companies and what they stand for as well as how long they have been around. To me, it says something when a company has a 100+ year history making beds. I wish you luck in your bed search! Depending on how much you want to be in your bed or on top of your bed, I would really compare Hastens,Vi-Spring and Savoir (another UK brand)...let us know what you think.

Take care!

Bed Snob

This message was modified Sep 14, 2010 by bedsnob

Recent Posts