Simmons Beautyrest Dakar as "base"?
Jul 17, 2008 2:56 PM
so (as per my other thread) it looks like my tempurpedic is not going to work for my back. :( so, i'm gonna try the whole firm coil spring + foam topper to taste approach. my wife actually likes sleeping on a carpeted floor with minimal padding, and i don't mind it if i added a few layers of blankets or a foam pad on top, so maybe we can try to emulate that in a bed...

i was trying to find a decent coil spring that had minimal foam. i like the simmons pocketed coils because they do seem to provide better isolation, which is one of my favorite things about the tempurpedic. any opinions on this one?

http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-beautyrest-dakar-firm.html

the quilt is pretty simple, the coil gauge is thicker than their higher-end 980-count models (13.25 gauge vs. 15.5) but it's still 800 coil, and it just has a couple think payers of 3/8" "PurFoam," whatever that is - looks to be be crappy quality (1.20 density polyurethane) but at least there ins't a ton of it.

cheers,
marc
Re: Simmons Beautyrest Dakar as "base"?
Reply #2 Jul 17, 2008 7:44 PM
hi jankdc,

thanks for your reply - that's disappointing to hear. do you know offhand what size/# of coils are in your Beautyrest? and are the dips due to shot springs not covered under warranty? i guess if they are not more than 2", which seems awfully extreme...

cheers,
marc

jankdc wrote:
I am currently replacing my Beautyrest. We loved the bed - for the first 4 years. It is 7 years old and needs to go. We got one with minimal foam and even that has dips. the springs are also shot.   If you really want the pocketed coil springs, look at some of the other manufacturers also.
Reply #3 Jul 18, 2008 3:05 AM
I wouldn't buy anything with pocketed coils (Marshall). I have LuraFlex coils which also are made to act more independently and are much more stable than the pocketed. Here is the Leggett & Platt website. You can check out their coils there. They also have the Marshall, but I feel there are others better out there, including my LuraFlex. Good luck!

http://www.beddingcomponents.com/innersprings.asp

nabby wrote:
hi jankdc,<BR><BR>thanks for your reply - that's disappointing to hear. do you know offhand what size/# of coils are in your Beautyrest? and are the dips due to shot springs not covered under warranty? i guess if they are not more than 2&quot;, which seems awfully extreme...<BR><BR>cheers,<BR>marc
Reply #4 Jul 18, 2008 10:11 AM
Queen mattress, I don't remember what the coils are, we were pretty uninformed when it came to buying a bed then. The issue was not just the foam but also the coils. Before I moved to our extra bed (futon), I found myself sleeping on either the edge or center of the bed for comfort. I don't know if it would be covered by warranty.  We bought the bed in a different state and I don't know if we could find the receipt.  It was our first new bed, I hope we will do better with our next one.
This message was modified Jul 18, 2008 by jankdc
Reply #5 Jul 23, 2008 5:20 AM
If you bought the mattress in another state you might have a hard time getting an adjustment under warranty. Most mattresses are made in regional factories and have to be returned to the one that made it--at the customer's expense. Not worth it.
Reply #6 Oct 6, 2008 1:33 PM
I like mine. I have had it about a year, and I started with some toppers for it, which were very comfortable. (I got the CuddleBed from Costco and the 1" latex topper from Brylane Home.) The toppers were too soft for my bad back, so now I just sleep on the mattress. Good luck!
Reply #7 Oct 17, 2008 12:20 PM
I have read that their springs are not tempered! The weakest part is the pillow tops. Try a latex kit bed some where!

Recent Posts