Serta Perfect Day or Aireloom The Preffered or what?
Dec 24, 2007 4:17 PM
I am new to this Forum and this is probably an open ended Question, I need to buy a new Mattress and kinda lost.

I didnt look at Seally since that one i own (which cost me 1100 in 2002) now has a DIP in it (I do blame myself since i am a big guy) anyway I went to a serta store and had a look at their perfect day (Uplifting) and had a talk with the owner and he gave me a price that cant even be matched by online retailers. I tried to checkout other local stores and came accress a brand called aireloom which is hand stiched and feels even better than the perfect day (the one i liked was called the preffered and it is the top of the line mattress they have, the store sells it for 5999 I looked arround i found it for 4900 which is double the price of the perfect day. btw it looks like the same one being sold by macys.com for 18,000).

I cant find reviews of feedbacks on them, I had some sales people telling me I shouldnt even compair the serta to the aireleoom since "its like compairing a Ferrari to a Toyota".

is the aireloom really that good? What else should I check out?  What is the best in terms of materials used and expected life? (the aireleoom say they offer a  20 years Garanty"

Thanks

Re: Serta Perfect Day or Aireloom The Preffered or what?
Reply #6 Feb 16, 2010 11:36 AM
A Hastens....how much did you pay for that bed? It is suppose to be the real deal!!

Alice

far better than a serta.............:)

Reply #7 Feb 16, 2010 2:30 PM
IMO the best coil mattresses are built with the idea of not having the largest spec sheets and including many different kinds of materials.  it should be about the EXCLUSION of certain materials. 

obviously this Aireloom in question is a much better build quality and uses far better materials than a perfect day overall, however everything I have read about their mattresses makes me think they are really selling at this price point because of their name and reputation, not from the quality of the materials used.  A bed @ the $4000 and up range (if not a Tempur-Pedic) really has no business using polyurethane foam of any kind in the construction.  There are beds for less money than this that are of similar build quality and do not use polyurethane in any amount. 

I believe that these guys are still using some polyurethane because it makes the mattress significantly softer than just cotton and wool batting alone would do (both of these materials are pretty firm if they are tufted down properly).  So the beds do feel fantastic, but will still change significantly after break in. 
Reply #8 Feb 16, 2010 3:20 PM
First of all, surely an Airelooom would have to be of higher quality than a Serta, which is considered by many to be the bottom of the barrel of S company mattresses.
However, as Budgy mentioned, there are other brands that are probably better than Aireloom for a better price. Budgy mentioned one mattress he thought was better in another thread. If you ask him he may tell you that one (though not sure if it was in your price range.)

You could always buy the lowest priced mattress you can find with good springs, and replace the foam inside, with latex, as I and others have done. Seems to work for most people who try it. Oh, and you can build a king like this for probably $800 with pure latex over springs.

Recent Posts