Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #167 Aug 28, 2011 9:29 PM
Thanks guys, this thread is useful.

Planning to buy one of Serta icomforts soon...!!! Will write a review asap... 

Reply #168 Aug 28, 2011 10:34 PM
Wow, there is a lot of info about this bed on this thread - thank you everyone. I am here because my husband and I want to get a new bed and we happened upon the Sealy iComfort Revolution and really liked it...

Then we came home and read all of the problems that people have posted: bent foundations (boxspring), body aches and pains, inconsistent firmness...

I'm left with one basic question - if there is a 120-day in-home trial period and a 25 year warranty - and people are having problems with this new technology - How has Serta been on the complaint line? Has anyone had trouble exchanging their mattress for a different model? 

And for all of you who have purchased a Sealy iComfort Revolution Mattress - what's the feeling now, months later? Did the mattress soften up? Are there areas that are more squishy than others? Have you been flipping and spinning the mattress regularly? Etc. 

Also - it seems like a Luna cover is the best way to go protection wise - breathable and waterproof. (http://www.lunamattress.com/Luna-Premium-Mattress-Encasement-13quot_p_16.html)

The sales guy told us that the prices are pretty much fixed (so we shouldn't expect any sales) but that he could give us $200 in freebies (pillows, frame, delivery, etc.)

We also liked: Simmons Beautyrest Calma, Serta Natural Start

Reply #169 Aug 29, 2011 10:15 AM
doublerainbow wrote:

Wow, there is a lot of info about this bed on this thread - thank you everyone. I am here because my husband and I want to get a new bed and we happened upon the Sealy iComfort Revolution and really liked it...

Then we came home and read all of the problems that people have posted: bent foundations (boxspring), body aches and pains, inconsistent firmness...

I'm left with one basic question - if there is a 120-day in-home trial period and a 25 year warranty - and people are having problems with this new technology - How has Serta been on the complaint line? Has anyone had trouble exchanging their mattress for a different model? 

And for all of you who have purchased a Sealy iComfort Revolution Mattress - what's the feeling now, months later? Did the mattress soften up? Are there areas that are more squishy than others? Have you been flipping and spinning the mattress regularly? Etc. 

Also - it seems like a Luna cover is the best way to go protection wise - breathable and waterproof. (http://www.lunamattress.com/Luna-Premium-Mattress-Encasement-13quot_p_16.html)

The sales guy told us that the prices are pretty much fixed (so we shouldn't expect any sales) but that he could give us $200 in freebies (pillows, frame, delivery, etc.)

We've had the Revolution I Comfort for almost two months and love it, It is just as comfortable as the first day. We purchased the waterproof pad that our sales person said is necessary for a return, if needed. Well I spilled some liquod and really glad we had the pad, No leakage. We now have ordered the adjustable foundation, whiich will only make a great mattress better.  As I understand it, there is a Serta manufacture sale on now, until the end of the month. You should be albe to get some $$$ off.  

Reply #170 Aug 30, 2011 11:30 AM
doublerainbow wrote:

Looked at a lot of beds in the past month . Dr Breus , Simmons Comfor Pedic , Tempurpedic , Costco bed in a box . Vera Wang etc . 

Really liked the plush feel of the Revoloution . We actually found it in Sears and opted to buy it on tax free weekend .On tax free weekend the Rep advised it was going on sale in a week or two and he crunched the numbers ,. It came out cheaper . 

For a Queen Revoloution  the price came to 1980.49 with a new 90.00 frame delivery /  set up . Bed was supposed to be here on Monday but due to inclement weather .... blah , blah . Here is the Hmm part . .

Re advised we can return it in  30 days but Serrta advises to keep the bed for 30 days on their 120 day no risk trial . No iinterest   with Sears if paid within 24 nonths , 

Here is the kicker ,......Receipt say's item is suject to a a 15% restocking charge on all 3 components . frame , bs and mattress . 

I am a hot natured person so we'll see. if this works out . 

In a nustshell the beds are not fixed priced . Many will have a price tag in the store but that means nothing . Don't fall for it . I am referring to Sleepy's as an example . 

Serta Icomfort Insight
Reply #171 Aug 31, 2011 12:20 AM
Hello,

I purchased the full size Serta iComfort Insight Low Profile Set.  It was delivered on Friday August 26th, 2011.  I don't think I am quite used to the matress yet,  It also seems to be shorter than my other mattress (a twin size spring) where my feet dange over the edge when lying on my stomach.    Tonight will be my 5th night sleeping on this mattress.   

My last matress was causing me some severe back pain due to the fact that it was so firm.  I know this because if I was to lay on the floor for any extended period of time my back would go out (spasm so bad I could hardly stand up straight).  After slepping on this mattress for 4 days, my back still is hurting throughout the day, however the pain has not been as severe as when I was sleeping in my old bed.  Furthermore I did have a queen size Stearns and Foster spring mattress with a Novaform memory foam mattress topper from Costco.  I purchased the memory foam topper because I could feel the springs hitting my rib cage when laying sideways.  The topper stopped the springs from poking and made the bed much more confrotable but I did experience the issue wit the bed be hotter than it was previously (and it did get some tears in it as well over time).  The new Serta iComfort with its Gel Foam is definatly a cooler than my old queen mattress with its non gel memory foam topper.   

I will post back in a few days on my thoughts and any more back pain releif I may (hope) I experience by sleeping on this new mattress.  

Paul

Reply #172 Sep 2, 2011 2:16 AM
Hi folks, just tagging this thread with the first of what'll be a series of occasional check-in reviews.

I purchased an iComfort Insight; it was delivered about nine days ago. I spent several hours across two days comparing mattresses at a local store, comparing back-to-back various spring and memory foam options from Serta, Tempurpedic, and Simmons. I was drawn at first to the Revolution but realized it'd be far too plush, given that for the past five years I'd been sleeping on an inner-spring King Koil. (Background aside: I'm in my late twenties and have no obvious back problems, except tightness without pain in my lower back in the mornings that can be solved with a good stretch. I've been lucky so far, and my previous mattress had seemed to serve me well enough. Before buying this mattress, I'd spent two weeks traveling, during which I'd used a sleeping bag with a Therm-a-rest inflatable sleeping pad.) I wanted something firmer than the Revolution to make sure that I didn't unbalance whatever equilibrium I'd reached with my back on my old mattress—maybe whatever felt most like how that mattress had been worn in. I ended up with the Insight for the simple reason that it felt best given the position I sleep in. Without having used a memory foam mattress before, I was concerned about the transition, and I was sold on the iComfort series because of the express representations the salesman made about Serta's 120-day guarantee, including about their willingness to eat exchange costs (like restocking fees), minus a return delivery fee. I figured the return delivery fee was equivalent to a reasonably valued put option on exchanging something about which I was optimistic but skeptical. I felt this reduced most of the risk on the part of the consumer (to the extent that, after the exchange, you're still able to get a deal from the retailer as good as if you'd bought it originally instead of the iComfort).

At this stage, I'm cautiously optimistic. I fall asleep a little quicker than on my old mattress, because I feel more comfortable once I've gotten into my usual side sleeping position without needing to move around a bit to find the right balance. The first two nights I found I woke up once each night to turn over, getting used to the feel of sleeping on the bed. It might be that I was (and maybe still am) waking up more often but I'm not noticing or remembering it anymore. I also haven't noticed any aches or pains, but that may change over time (we'll see). I'll try to check in sometime after thirty days.

Reply #173 Sep 2, 2011 10:59 PM
Just a real quick heads up about the standard 'box spring' matching foundations with the iComforts - the twins* used for twin mattress and king foundations have an 8" gap between vertical support rods, right down the center of the bed.  The two thin rods that run between, head to toe IMO, will probably sag down.  They did on mine.  I'm only 190 lbs.

* Sears Newpark had an iComfort twin box spring with the sturdier pattern below, not like mine.  How they deliver a different box spring to me than that store, I don't know.

FWIW,  Sealy and Stearns and Foster use a different pattern of vertical support rods - they are evenly spaced about 4" apart.  With that arrangement, it seems there will not be a sag down the middle in hips area.

So, if it seems your mattress is sagging, might be wise to do string test atop the foundation, look for dip. 

FWIW, I was able to get a 3 week old S&F box spring, twin for $169 at Sears Outlet. 

Don't work there, nor do I work for Sealy, just a heads up. 

This message was modified Sep 3, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #174 Sep 6, 2011 9:27 AM
Hi,

We purchased the Revolution three months ago and LOVE it!  It is perfect in every way.  We have not felt any heat issues and the day we  installed it, we left it unmaid,  opened the windows, shut the door for two night and the smell disappeared. We both love the comfy medium firmnes.  $2000 sounds like a great buy, I think we paid $3100 from Sears.  Good luck!

firehawk343 wrote:

Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Reply #175 Sep 7, 2011 8:38 PM
vkaushal21 wrote:

Thanks guys, this thread is useful.

Planning to buy one of Serta icomforts soon...!!! Will write a review asap... 

We just got back from the store and bought the Revolution with the adjustable frame and I bought a pillow. I suffer fromFibromyalgia along with some other issues and a Tempur-Pedic was recommended to me. But I liked the icomfort revolution better and my husband and I purchased that one. I will be back on with a review but this was very helpful.

Reply #176 Sep 7, 2011 10:34 PM
What I don't like about the Revolution is it has 5.75" of memory foam in 2 layers.  I'm pretty sure all sign boards advertise it is only 4.75" memory foam, but it is not.  An easy measure with a ruler - feel sides of mattress for foam seam, measure thickness of each.  You'll find a 6" core foam.  Mattress is 11.75" in Revolution, so 5.75". 

The 2.75" gel foam doesn't feel all that dense to me.  Not like a Cloud Supreme support foam layer which feels very dense.  I dunno, Rev has a lot of sink, too much for me.  But that was hampered by the cheesy twin box spring that bows in the middle.

btw, the resale on the iComfort was lousy.  I had the twin XL priced at a mere $250 for a while and no calls.  I ditched the set for $175 measly dollars.  Cost me $1500 originally.

This message was modified Sep 7, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts