Savvy Rest - our first week and I will never sleep on anything else!
Feb 8, 2009 5:25 PM
After obsessive research, I settled on a Savvy Rest mattress, Dunlop Latex.

I share a bed with my 2 sons, 6 and 4, who are in no mood to go to their own bed yet. So we needed room, and as I've past 40 several years ago, I needed comfort.
Up until now I've been sleeping on an Aireloom inner-spring with a 1" latex layer built in. I realized that since the Latex was the only thing still comfortable about this too expensive mattress (I paid 2k about 7 years ago for a full) I wanted to search for Latex
I very quickly narrowed down to organic latex because the kids and I sleep in a loft bed, and anything that outgassed would settle directly over our heads for the night.

I found Savvy as it was one of the best rated on line, with the additional information that the customer service could not be better. They have lived up to this reputation. In the end I ended up with a custom cut mattress --
our loft is just narrower than a california king. I thought I'd go for the standard firm, medium, soft, with splits, but after several conversations with Michael Penny -- Savvy's founder -- I went softer with a medium/soft/soft configuration. All dunlop. This is the three layer serenity mattress

I am only about 5'0 and about 40 lbs overweight at 150. The kids are both less than 50 lbs. We are all thrilled with the result.
The mattress has a sense of elasticity or give but is also completely supportive. It is like sleeping on a yummy marshmellow. It catches you and gives and as a side sleeper/back sleeper I am always comfortable. No heat issues at all. 
I love this mattress. I never want to sleep on anything else.

The kids love it too.

Oh, and gone are the sniffles, which I woke up with every morning for years.I thought it was just something that happened to me in sleep. now i realize... yuk...
I went with 2 Savvy mattess pads, one wool and one cotton, because the four year old is well, a four year old and I wanted a layer that was easy to wash and a layer that was ultimately water proof.

I got great sheets on the cheap by going to smartbargains.com

It took about 45 minutes to put the mattress together, but that was probably because I had to sit on it while creating it -- loft beds are like that. Thank Goodness for splits. You would never know they are there.
It comes uncompressed, and the trick to handling it is to move it in waves instead of pulling at it. The Latex smelled gently of warm vanilla but I don't notice it thru the bedding at all.
happy to answer any other questions, but the bottom line is that I am in bed heaven.

Sherry
Re: Savvy Rest - our first week and I will never sleep on anything else!
Reply #1 Feb 8, 2009 6:04 PM
I had never heard of "Savvy Rest" so I looked at their website but they don't say how long they have been in the mattress business.  The testimonials sound a lot like yours - all from recent buyers.  Looks like several "green" sellers are selling the Savvy Rest products.

Natural latex is touted at the best of breed of foam mattresses by a lot of folk.  You didn't say what you paid and it looks like the Serenity Cal. King sells for around $2600 for mattress only and $3200 for mattress with foundation package which, to me, sounds like a LOT of cash to pay for a mattress but that's just me.

I'm sure you will continue to be happy with you mattress and this is not intended to be in any way a negative post but it would be helpful to know how your satisfaction holds up after six months and then after a year so please keep us posted.  If you know how long Savvy has been making mattresses and if you have found testimonials from owners after at least two years of ownership during your research that would be nice to know.

Best Wishes

Re: Savvy Rest - our first week and I will never sleep on anything else!
Reply #2 Feb 8, 2009 7:47 PM
   The company is about 5 years old, and fortunately I did not need a foundation as this was going on a loft bed. What I did need was a mattress that would last. I understand your point that most of the testimonials are in the last couple of years, but dunlop latex itself has been around for a lot longer. Given that these guys are selling as pure dunlop that exists with as few additives as possible I feel confident about my purchase.
I also have spent a lot of time on the phone and Email with Michael. He is of a different sort than any person selling anything I've ever met. I truly think he is in this business because he believes he can do some good -- and of course support his family doing it. I believe he will stand behind his product.

So I will happily update this forum as the months go by. But for now I can tell you that these folks treated me like gold, sent everything they promised, went out of their way to accommodate my very strange buying schedule -- I was working around getting a small bonus from work -- and I love the product. I was very nervous about buying over the internet and trusting my 1 inch of latex in an old mattress and a 30 minute period hanging out and talking to a salesman in store on a Sealy to confirm I'd like latex at all. (mostly sitting up btw).

I agree that this was a huge leap of faith in the end. I was  very moved by the other reviews I had read that backed up what I was learning both about Latex and Savvy Rest itself. I am just thrilled that I love this bed as much as I do. It really has exceeded all of my expectations.

This message was modified Feb 8, 2009 by sherry

Recent Posts