Sams Club 100% natural latex mattress???
Feb 23, 2010 11:21 PM
Hello all, first post here but I've learned very much from researching here! Was wondering if anyone has any info/thoughts regarding this mattress. It seems like a good price and besides not being able to change layers out, it is exactly what I'm looking for. The cotton cover is removable but not the wool covering. The latex is made by latexco and is Dunlop according to the guy I spoke with at specialty sleep services. It also comes non rolled up when white glove delivered which I think is a plus. Also made in USA. Considering Sams excellent return policy it seems worth a shot. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=457122&pCatg=6804 The naturally contouring and long-lasting resilience of 100% Natural Latex has been combined with the soothing comfort of 100% Organic Cotton and the all season warming & cooling characteristics of 100% Organic Wool to create a heavenly sleep environment like no other. The American Sleep Collection Organic Mattress features a full 9” core of 100% Natural Latex. A 1” Layer of Ultra-Plush (18 ILD) 100% Natural Latex conforms to your body while a 2” Medium-Firm (24 ILD) Cushioning Layer and 6” Ultra-Form 5-Zone (28-32 ILD) Posture Support Layer comprise the High Resilience 100% Natural Latex Progressive Support Substrate Layers for outstanding comfort. Surrounded by a temperature neutral comfort layer of 100% Organic Wool, that naturally wicks away moisture, The American Sleep Collection Organic Mattress is completely covered with 100% Organic Cotton. Foundation optional. The comfort of Cotton is well known and loved. Organic Cotton is cotton that is grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides from plants which are not genetically modified which makes for a healthier sleep environment. And as Cotton is the only fiber that becomes stronger when wet, it's the preferred choice in hospitals, since it can endure high temperatures and be sterilized. For people concerned with environmental issues, Cotton makes a lot of sense as it is a biodegradable and a renewable resource. Organic Wool is extremely long lasting. It can bend thousands of times without losing form and can evaporate moisture in either a warming or cooling manner allowing it to maintain warmth in the winter and coolness in the summer.
This message was modified Feb 23, 2010 by EBIN
Re: Sams Club 100% natural latex mattress???
Reply #10 Aug 9, 2010 6:18 PM
For bert76 and kimberlyh:

The original all-latex mattress is still there at Sam's Club - just try a search for "American Sleep Organic". For example:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod865236

which is still the same as

http://www.innomax.com/index.php?crn=243&action=show

The "American Sleep Eco-Green" mattress seems to be the rebranded Allura line also from Innomax:

http://www.innomax.com/?crn=229&action=show

According to the descriptions (they are identical at Innomax and Sam's) this one is a 3" Talalay latex topper with HR foam core. It's also $560 cheaper than the all-latex mattress ($1338 vs. $1898 for King). Is the HR foam core really much worse than the latex core?

Also, the Costco's current price of $1599 for the all-latex King is $300 lower than Sam's - is this really a fair reflection of difference in quality? (putting foundation issues aside and comparing just the mattresses themselves)

I'm just starting my quest for a new mattress, and found this forum with so much useful info - thank you all!

Reply #11 Aug 10, 2010 10:52 AM
Yes, I think the price difference is worth it at Sam's Club, and yes, an all-latex mattress is going to be better than a combination latex/memory foam mattress (imo).

Here is why I think the differences in the two mattresses are worth $300 (worth more than $300):

1) The foundation is much superior.  The Costco foundation is just a terrible piece of junk, based on my reading of what people have said about it.  If you carefully look at the description of the Sam's Club foundation, it looks like a quality piece.

2) The Sam's Club latex is manufactured in the US by Latexco.  The Costco latex is manufactured by who knows who in China, and who knows what the quality is or how many fillers have been used. Also note that one of the layers of the Sam's Club mattress is zoned - which might be a more comfortable situation for side sleepers who need a little more resiliance at pressure points - hips and shoulders.

3) The cover of the American Sleep Organic is organic cotton and wool.  The cover of the Costco mattress is a single thin layer of something - rayon?  The difference in the cover alone is worth the price difference.

Mind you, I have not seen either of these products in person or tried them.  But my opinions are based on a careful reading of the components of each mattress and foundation, and on reading user reviews (of the Costco mattress - I still haven't seen anyone report that they bought the Sam's Club mattress - which still amazes me).

Based on these differences, if I were in the market for yet another latex mattress, I would be willing to pay more for the Sam's Club mattress than the Costco mattress.  BTW, when I was researching mattresses, I phoned Innomax, and the price they quoted was considerably higher than what Sam's Club is charging.  By all means, if you have questions about the Sam's Club mattress, call Innomax, but don't buy it from them - go to Sam's Club :)

This message was modified Aug 10, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #12 Aug 13, 2010 10:48 PM
Thank you for the detailed reply, Kimberly!

I agree - the Sams Club mattress looks nicer. Yet it's really quite surprising that nobody on this forum has tried it yet, and the price is rather high for me to just take a plunge. I think I'm leaning more and more towards the FBM offering, given many positive reviews that were posted here recently. I think I can take the risk for half the price compared to Sam's Club.

Reply #13 Aug 18, 2010 9:44 AM
I called and got some info about this mattress in case anyone is interested. I called the specialty sleep number on the Sams product page and it went to Innomax.

The rep was very polite, helpful and chatty and seemed knowlegable about the product... definitely more of a customer support tone than a sales person.

He said the mattress is what he would describe as "medium" firmness. He said he is also a side sleeper and finds it to be very comfortable and claims excellent feedback from customers in the 8 months they have been producing this product.

I was curious about the wool comfort layer and found out that it is a layer approximately 1/4" - 1/3" thick between the cotton cover and the latex all the way around, top and sides.

The wool layer is attached to the latex with an organic adhesive of some sort and the cotton cover zips around that.

Reply #14 Aug 18, 2010 3:00 PM
Thanks for the info. The more I hear about this bed the more I like it.  Part of me even says I should have went this way instead of the FBM route surprise But then again, the grass is always greener :]
Reply #15 Aug 18, 2010 4:13 PM
It seems a bit pricey to me though... 2054.00 shipped (king) for a mattress with virtually no first hand reviews available.

The upside is that if it doesn't work out I could return it directly to the Sam's that is 5 minutes away from my house.

Still... that kind of money will get you a lot of mattress (and adjustability) from SleepEZ.

Reply #16 Aug 19, 2010 12:41 AM
^ Their website says $1338 shipping included for a king size.  Are you not a Sam's Club member or are the taxes killing you here?
Reply #17 Aug 19, 2010 9:19 AM
Relaxo wrote:

^ Their website says $1338 shipping included for a king size.  Are you not a Sam's Club member or are the taxes killing you here?

The "American Sleep Eco-Green" model is 1338.00... not 100% latex.

The one I'm talking about is the "American Sleep Organic" (Innomax White Night). This model is 1898.00 + TX sales tax.

Reply #18 Aug 19, 2010 12:13 PM
Ganderson wrote:

The one I'm talking about is the "American Sleep Organic" (Innomax White Night). This model is 1898.00 + TX sales tax.

This may seem expensive to you, but actually it is a very reasonable, even low, price for a quality latex bed.  You should also keep in mind that your latex bed will last years beyond what a traditional innerspring or a memory foam mattress will.  On an amoritzed basis, I feel this is much less expensive than a traditional innerspring bed made by an "S" company.

Reply #19 Aug 19, 2010 12:46 PM
KimberlyH wrote:

This may seem expensive to you, but actually it is a very reasonable, even low, price for a quality latex bed.  You should also keep in mind that your latex bed will last years beyond what a traditional innerspring or a memory foam mattress will.  On an amoritzed basis, I feel this is much less expensive than a traditional innerspring bed made by an "S" company.

Oh yeah... definitely in the range I would expect to pay for a nice latex mattress.

I just meant that for me it's a lot to spend on something that would be a total roll of the dice as far as no previous latex experience to help me interpret the specs, and no real reviews available.

If I were to choose a non-kit mattress, this would be the one as of right now. Being able to return it directly to my local Sam's is almost enough incentive to give it a try.

Recent Posts