Pain with new Tempurpedic
Feb 9, 2012 12:45 PM
My husband and I purchased a tempurpedic Allura bed and we have been sleeping on it for a week.  We have been walking on it daily to help break it in.  My husband who is 5'10" and 165 pounds is sleeping fine on it.  It felt firm to him at first, but he feels like it is softening nicely.  I don't mind the feel, but I am having awful lower back pain through the night and during the days.  I am 5'8" and weigh 122 and am a side sleeper.  I have always suffered with back pain from running and we bought the Allura thinking the HD foam would be the most supportive.  However, I feel like I am not sinking in at all and so am not benefitting.  I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?  I was thinking that I might do better with the softer Cloud series but I still want it to be supportive enough for my husband.  We are going to give it at least 30 days to see if softens anymore but I am in a lot of pain.  The website says some pain is normal as your back adjusts but no one at tempurpedic can tell me how long that should last.  I wondered if anyone here had any advice or feedback.  Thanks.
Re: Pain with new Tempurpedic
Reply #1 Feb 9, 2012 2:03 PM
Being an owner of the Allura, I can relate to what you are going through.  I experienced the same thing.  I thought I may have made a mistake with a very expensive bed.  However, after a month and conditioning it, it got better and better.  Now everything else flat out sucks to sleep on.  I've had it for three years now and it seems to be getting even better over time.  I came off a latex mattress that was far less supportive, so I think that was part of the rough transitioning process.  You have a long trial period, I suggest you use as much as you can before you give up.  You may be making a big mistake.  I also have the adjustable base which makes my bed the closest thing to a miracle bed.

This bed has a lot of the Tempur foam in it and takes a lot longer to condition than the Cloud series.  Once conditioned and your body gets used to it, you'll forget about any other bed out there.

Good luck.

Reply #2 Feb 9, 2012 2:17 PM
I have been on a Tempurpedic Cloud bed (the base model) for 5 months now and I absoutely adore it!  For reals.  Nothing fake here, I'm a real customer.  This cloud had a firmer feel on day one.  I could tell it was a brand new mattress.  It started to soften up a give each night, and I became very used to it within a week.

I've never experienced a sore lower back from a very firm bed, then again, i've never slept much on an overly firm bed.

I recall the Allura having a very dense feel in that pillow top top layer.  That's HD foam, very dense.

I have experienced problems sleeping on a memory foam bed that was too soft from the get go.  I had an iComfort Revolution for 4 weeks and my neck was really tweaking from that.  It was popping when turning head side to side in the morning.

I can tell you that Tempurpedic quality (and price) easily exceeds that of iComfort.  There is not an hint of comparison even between the foundations - the Tempurpedic foundation is a solidly built piece of wood with sturdy, reinforced top.

iComforts come with low-grade 'box spring' foundations doled out with most conventional mattresses.

IComfort also had a problem putting in the actual amount of memory foam they advertised.  I clearly caught them in mistaken advertising of having actually an extra 1 inch of memory foam within the mattress, something I didn't want.  That helped to explain why the mattress was overly soft.

I stopped in at Sleep Train recently and noticed they brought iComforts in.   I'm not worried.  I checked out icomforts heavily, Insight, Genius, Prodigy .... they don't compare to TP.

Reply #3 Feb 13, 2012 12:36 PM
allura is like a rock. but my hips buttocks sank deep in it and that part was inside the mattress and rest above those parts. as a result I was misaligned and experienced pains.
Reply #4 Feb 13, 2012 12:50 PM
It took about a month and a half for the allura to soften for me.  I found it is definitely softer when the weather is warmer and there shouldn't be any kind of barrier between you and the foam.  Remove any kind of mattress pad and bed protector and just put the sheets directly over the pillow top.  I still get a little bit of stiffness from the bed but once it softened I didn't have any lower back pain.  It is a firm bed for sure, but definitely not the firmest that tempurpedic has.  I tried the cloud luxe and felt there just wasn't enough support.  If you are still experiencing pain after a month and a half I would probably try the cloud supreme or even the regular cloud.
Reply #5 Feb 15, 2012 3:18 AM
adamb wrote:

It took about a month and a half for the allura to soften for me.  I found it is definitely softer when the weather is warmer and there shouldn't be any kind of barrier between you and the foam.  Remove any kind of mattress pad and bed protector and just put the sheets directly over the pillow top.  I still get a little bit of stiffness from the bed but once it softened I didn't have any lower back pain.  It is a firm bed for sure, but definitely not the firmest that tempurpedic has.  I tried the cloud luxe and felt there just wasn't enough support.  If you are still experiencing pain after a month and a half I would probably try the cloud supreme or even the regular cloud.

My hips and buttocks sank in it too much. It felt like my hips and buttocks were in some kind of sinkhole.

Recent Posts