New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Dec 1, 2009 9:33 PM
Hi, I have been looking for a new mattress and when I was researching Latex mattresses I found this site. I had already decided to try a latex mattress before coming here and from what I have read I am more convinced that is what I want. My husband noticed a new latex mattress listed on the Costco site and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I know it is new, but I thought maybe someone might have some comments that might help. Here are the highlights of the bed components - we would be getting a King size with the foundation and at $1499.99 it seems like a steal. I know we would be sacrificing the ability to customize the firmness on each side but is it worth $1000.00 for that??? Here are the list of latex layers - Four layers of 100% natural latex for unsurpassed comfort: Layer 1 – 1” 19 ILD natural latex – soft layer Layer 2 – 2” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Layer 3 – 4” of 32 ILD natural latex – support layer Layer 4 – 3” of 24 ILD natural latex – medium layer Two mattresses in one! Due to its unique construction, the Sleep Science Natural Comfort Latex Mattress allows you to sleep on either the top or bottom of the mattress. Each side has been engineered for a slightly different feel, one softer than the other. The Sleep Science Natural Latex Mattress is two high quality mattresses in one. The mattress is delivered with layer 1 (softer sleep surface) on the top. For a firmer sleep surface, remove the mattress from the cover, flip the mattress, put the cover back on and enjoy a firmer sleep surface. 100% Natural Latex. Certified by the ECO-INSTITUT as 100% Dunlop processed natural latex. Sleep Science Natural Comfort 10” Latex mattress fits the dimensions of your bed Meets the requirements of 16 CFR Part 1633-Federal flammability (open flame) standards Limited Warranty: 20 years against manufacturer defects Hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and dust mite resistant This luxurious, health promoting mattress comes with a beautiful silk blend and micro-suede mattress cover Sleep Science Softness Scale – Soft/Medium on one side and Medium on the other Here is the link if you would like to look at all the info - http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11496053&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|4914|4916&N=4001838&Mo=39&pos=0&No=31&ViewAll=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4916&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC850-Cat4914&topnav= Thanks again for your help! I am so glad I found this forum! Brenda
Re: New Natural Latex Beds on Sale Now at Costco
Reply #71 Jan 13, 2010 10:50 AM
It is interesting to hear you say that the latex bed might be warmer (than the Tempurpedic?).  Makes me think I am not totally crazy.

If it is softer, and you are sinking in more, that will make it sleep warmer.   I have found that an extra thick mattress pad helps a bit (they sell some at overstock and possibly costco).   It does change the feel somewhat, so that is the downside.  There is no miracle cure.  The firmer side might sleep slightly cooler.

Reply #72 Jan 13, 2010 6:59 PM
sandman wrote:
It is interesting to hear you say that the latex bed might be warmer (than the Tempurpedic?).  Makes me think I am not totally crazy.

If it is softer, and you are sinking in more, that will make it sleep warmer.   I have found that an extra thick mattress pad helps a bit (they sell some at overstock and possibly costco).   It does change the feel somewhat, so that is the downside.  There is no miracle cure.  The firmer side might sleep slightly cooler.

I am surprised that you think this latex mattress sleeps hot. I have had mine for several weeks now and it is definitely not hot. We don't "sink" down in the mattress like you do with foam. We had ordered a Memory Foam and it was terrible. Very hot and you do sink way down. We took it back after the second sleepless night. I did a lot of research and spoke with a lot of people regarding latex and the overwhelming consensus seems to be that one of the big advantages is that it does NOT sleep hot. I did not find many comments about it sleeping hot on the internet but on the contrary many people were happy that it was not like the foam. I would be interested to hear if after the second night Randy still feels that it sleeps hot? Also, on latex you really don't sink down at all. It has a very elastic feel similar to a normal innerspring.
Reply #73 Jan 14, 2010 10:12 AM
it does sleep hot, worse than the tempurpedic, the mattress pad we had on it made it worse

dont know what to buy to put on it to counteract it
Reply #74 Jan 14, 2010 5:01 PM
I have an awesome dog waterbed that I used when I was going through men-o-pause. I know, that's really dumb but I did use it! Worked like a charm.

I am awaiting my own Costco latex bed, within the hour. I am so excited to see if this will, at long last, enable me to get the sleep i need so badly.

My neck hurts so bad from sleeping on memory foam, what is up with that?

I have had a ton of different beds the best being the old fashioned water bed. Now, THAT bed never gets hot!!

Reply #75 Jan 14, 2010 5:34 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
I have an awesome dog waterbed that I used when I was going through men-o-pause. I know, that's really dumb but I did use it! Worked like a charm.

I am awaiting my own Costco latex bed, within the hour. I am so excited to see if this will, at long last, enable me to get the sleep i need so badly.

My neck hurts so bad from sleeping on memory foam, what is up with that?

I have had a ton of different beds the best being the old fashioned water bed. Now, THAT bed never gets hot!!

dont put a mattress pad on it, ours made it hotter...also, remember that if you need to return this to costco for any reason, call them costco.com and they will have it picked up and shipped back, free of charge

curious to hear your report on your new mattress
Reply #76 Jan 14, 2010 8:18 PM
Only at my house would a delivery like the one I just recieved fly. I really should write a book about my buys online, they are comical at best. The mattress actually got dropped on the street. I cringed but did not over react, I am so proud. When it did get unwrapped in was well protected from the fall (only a foot or so) from thick cardboard and then two layers of plastic. The guy's helper was sick and this poor man was trying to do this himself, no way Jose. I actually asked a man walking down the street to help him and then paid the guy $20 to do it. Best 20 I ever dropped on someone. I had found that 20 the day before, lying in the street.

Did I read this bed weighed 88lbs? Ha! More like 888!! I feel like I've been ten rounds and at this point am laughing so hard I could split. 

Randy, I really need a mattress pad, I have 3 pugs who like to get "under covers" that's me as they all three crawl under......

I just had a romp on it with the dogs and while they like it fine I think it's too firm and am already looking for a topper on Overstock. It seems like I can feel lumps......

I weigh a lot. 

Reply #77 Jan 15, 2010 3:29 AM
you can always count on any mattress that's too firm for some, that very same mattress being too soft for somebody else.  & apparently the same with heat, vs. even a tempurpedic?!  i was actually surprised at how cool dunlop latex (not this one) sleeps.  even compared to spring mattresses, mine gets almost cold.  but i don't really sink into it either.

a nyway i wouldn't put a thick mattress pad on it, or there's not much point in a latex mattress in the first place with a thick pad eliminating or at least dampening its unique surface response. then it feels more like just like any other mattress.  sleeping hot is no good though. 

Reply #78 Jan 15, 2010 9:16 AM
Most esteemed experts: do I stick with this bed for a few days or work on it today? It's been nights since I haven't slept well and if it wasn't for yoga and medation I'd be balling right now. The bed was hard, my hands and arms were still falling asleep if I didn't change postion often. When someone writes they feel like they bottom out does that mean it feels hard? For me, this mattress was a small foutune and I could just take the advice of buying a firm mattress and soften it up. I will be going to the local Get A Bed store, it's almost all high end, way out of my budget but then again, so was this. This mattress was the best I was going to get if I went latex and from what I've read here it sounds like the way to go but not maybe if you weigh 300 lbs?

It was not hot, in fact I thought it was cool. Much different than memory but I just might put a slab of that stuff on tonite.

To say I am bummed is an understatement but life moves forward, never back, so on I go. Thank goodness I work in a health club and have access to Hydro massage each and every day.

Makes me laugh when some say this is written by sales people, count me as just another fat lady looking for the "right" bed, if there is such a thing.

Reply #79 Jan 15, 2010 2:36 PM
so it is too hard? alice, you are speaking of the latex from costco, right?

the way it is delivered it is on the softer of the two sides, you didnt switch it i assume
Reply #80 Jan 15, 2010 5:25 PM
Yep, it's on the soft side. I went to the local high end mattress store and a guy there told me to go home and walk all over it. He also said it would soften up. Not even sure I want to mess with a $1100 bed. I am one bummed cookie BUT they do have the NexGel bed on clearence at this store. I am really thinking about it. I go and lay on all the beds, one has already been sold. This bed is $1400 out the door, no warrenty, no return, I'm stuck if I buy this bed. The company is changing hands, making new covers and the price will triple. It is so nice, exactly what I need/want----or is it? I'm about to start reading more about weight and the correct bed. So far no one has asked me what I weigh and while I stated such it is turning out to be the challenge!! I guess I just squish everything.

Recent Posts