Natural Latex Questions
Dec 30, 2015 11:59 AM
I am shopping around to essentially build my own mattress to replace my 6" dollar store mattress that I never sleep on. I currently sleep on my sunken in couch that I will also be replacing with a DIY platform sofa. Years ago I purchased a 4" natural latex topper with organic cotton cover for my child and it has been a great investment. I put this topper on a metal slatted frame and never thought about it again, until now. Now I am interested in doing something similar for a sofa and bed for myself, but I'm at a loss for all of these ILD, firm this, inches, and etc. My plan is to buy the latex toppers in pieces and then encase them in an organic cotton cover I found online or just using a duvet cover with zipper. In fact, I already purchased a full 2" talalay soft topper for $66, b/c it had some dirt spots and bubbles.

Questions:

1. How many inches of foam is truly necessary, if I use a wood sheet as a base? I'm 5'5" and 135 lb with no back problems (hence why I sleep on my couch nightly) and as a child I would climb out of bed to sleep on the floor.
2. Does natural latex really need a "cover" or can it be covered by just a cotton sheet? My child had her cover off for about 6 months and I never noticed drying or cracking. I am considering forgoing the mattress "cover"/case and just using a simple cotton duvet cover with zipper. Is this sufficient?
3. Has anyone actually ever found mold on their natural latex items?
4. Has anyone used a sheet of wood as a base, without holes or slats?

My goal is to create a comfortable cost efficient all natural sleeping surface and sofa.

*I'm not a smoker and not concerned about open flames and fire resistance.
Re: Natural Latex Questions
Reply #1 Dec 31, 2015 2:10 PM
Iamnotsam.  

1- You might be able to get away with 6-8 inches since you are an easy sleeper.

2- It needs a cover if you like the feel of it with a cover.

3- Some have reported mold.  Best guess is that these people are in a non air conditioned environment and everything gets mold on it.

Please keep us posted.  Mattdud

Quote:

I am shopping around to essentially build my own mattress to replace my 6" dollar store mattress that I never sleep on. I currently sleep on my sunken in couch that I will also be replacing with a DIY platform sofa. Years ago I purchased a 4" natural latex topper with organic cotton cover for my child and it has been a great investment. I put this topper on a metal slatted frame and never thought about it again, until now. Now I am interested in doing something similar for a sofa and bed for myself, but I'm at a loss for all of these ILD, firm this, inches, and etc. My plan is to buy the latex toppers in pieces and then encase them in an organic cotton cover I found online or just using a duvet cover with zipper. In fact, I already purchased a full 2" talalay soft topper for $66, b/c it had some dirt spots and bubbles.

Questions:

1. How many inches of foam is truly necessary, if I use a wood sheet as a base? I'm 5'5" and 135 lb with no back problems (hence why I sleep on my couch nightly) and as a child I would climb out of bed to sleep on the floor.
2. Does natural latex really need a "cover" or can it be covered by just a cotton sheet? My child had her cover off for about 6 months and I never noticed drying or cracking. I am considering forgoing the mattress "cover"/case and just using a simple cotton duvet cover with zipper. Is this sufficient?
3. Has anyone actually ever found mold on their natural latex items?
4. Has anyone used a sheet of wood as a base, without holes or slats?

My goal is to create a comfortable cost efficient all natural sleeping surface and sofa.

*I'm not a smoker and not concerned about open flames and fire resistance.
Re: Natural Latex Questions
Reply #2 Jan 1, 2016 3:13 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I am going to feel some different latex densities today and then will make a final decision, but will likely go with 6" to start. I will update after I finish the projects.

Recent Posts