NEED HELP. Please recommend a extermely high quality mattress.
Apr 26, 2009 11:25 AM
I have been looking for a extremely high quality mattress. Here are my requirements

Size: Queen size
Features: Must be able to comfortably + independently support sleepers, one rollover/movement would absolutely not disturb the other.
I am open mind to any new mattress technologies as long as it can independently support each sleeper (i.e. 5000+ separate/pocketed coils..etc)
Location: Ideally Canada location (Toronto, Ontario). If my ideal mattress is for sale only in US, I am open mind.
Budget: None at the moment.

I know next to nothing about the current mattress brands or mattress technologies. Any info would be grateful
Thanks.
This message was modified Apr 26, 2009 by zollen
Re: NEED HELP. Please recommend a extermely high quality mattress.
Reply #4 Apr 27, 2009 4:16 AM
Must be able to comfortably + independently support sleepers, one rollover/movement would absolutely not disturb the other.

I believe that latex would be a good option to try out. I suggest looking at Flobeds (via mail order), although it won't quite fit your current budget. You can always "roll your own" latex bed with Foam By Mail for well within ($1200 CAD) your budget (plus it will be of higher quality and last longer than most pre-made latex mattresses). Spend the time to read through the forum, all the information you need is here.

If you might be thinking about the making your own check out this great thread. http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-foambymail-8-latex-mattress-actual-setup-pictures/4609-0-1.html

Darren

This message was modified Apr 27, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #5 Apr 28, 2009 6:21 PM
You have to be careful going into a store with no budget and wanting the extremely high quality mattress...they'll sell you whatever you'll pay and you'll still be uncomfortable after a few months(or years if you are lucky).
First, educate yourself as to what is in a bed.  There are bags filled with water or air and different types of each.  There are foam mattresses, either with a slab of one type of foam, or different foams layered, generally these are latex or polyurethane foams.  The Latex lasts the longest of the two.   Then you have spring mattresses, with different types of springs as the supportive layer and different foams layered on top.  Occasionally the beds, usually the handcrafted ones, have some insulator layer(s) and possibly some cotton or some kind of batting in the layering too.  These are higher quality mattresses, but do not necessarily cost more. 
As for mattresses that don't transfer motion, latex could be a good bet(I personally didn't like the feel as it was quite boingy) or pocket coils.  In lots of mattresses you can't even start to feel the coil part unless you are a heavy person...you usually sleep the foam mostly. 
Here's the funny part...the higher dollar the mattress(speaking of mass produced Big 3 companies), the more foam they put in.  Consequently, the quicker it sags.  Now, the logical solution would be to go to the bottom end of a good line to get minimal foam and good springs.  Nope, that doesn't always work either.  Then they'll have really inexpensive foam in there that dies in a matter of a few months(yep, been there done that!!).
My personal experiences and way too much trial and error(and many thousands of dollars)have led me to work directly with a local bed manufacturer to make what I want.
I'd look for a small company that stands behind their work, that doesn't give you a lot of flowery talk, just straightforward information and see what they have to offer.  I have found that they can offer the best quality and warranty for your money, and sometimes are less than the major brands because they don't have the middlemen getting a cut of your mattress dollar. You should also learn what you do and don't like from your past experiences...that will give you information for future choices.  Everyone is different!!!
Kait
Reply #6 Apr 28, 2009 6:39 PM
I did a search on Google and came up with a manufacturer called Hypnos beds.  They handmake their beds and seem to have no polyfoam in them.  Their site is http://www3.telus.net/public/araam/hypnos/hypnosstory.pdf
They look pretty expensive, but maybe worth checking out.  They use pocketed coils, which are the type that does not transfer motion.  They offer different firmnesses of the coils, too, but be careful of that.  The higher the number, the thinner the gauge, and possibly the quicker they'd wear out. 
Anyway, just a FYI.  Let us know what you find!
Kait
Reply #7 Apr 28, 2009 8:07 PM
You get out of life exactly what you put into it.
My 30 years mattress industry experience has put me on a latex mattress. Knowing what I know I would never sleep on any kind of spring mattress if i had my choice. Just stay away from pillow top designs. Yes they are pretty but they are not durable. Honestly, bare bones latex core with a nice soft topper is the best way to go. My kids can jump up and down on mom's side and never disturb me one bit.
Reply #8 Apr 28, 2009 9:41 PM
Hey, Porchdog(Gary);
Good to have someone here with industry experience!  Many of us are still tweaking what we have(tho some have waterbeds, LOL!).  I had a latex mattress, heavy thing, and it developed butt-dents in a fairly short time.  Solid latex, no PU foam, and I got really uncomfortable on it.  I developed a dislike for the boingy feeling.  What other insihts do you have for the wide world of beds?
Kait
Reply #9 May 29, 2009 9:30 PM
Zollen,

You could look into www.foamite.com ... They have two locations in the Greater Toronto Area ...

They have pretty good products, and you can build your own with them in CAD $ but I would recommend trying out their stuff and see if you can buy a portion from them and then order the Latex from FBM.

With the CAD $ coming up against the greenback, I am considering ordering the Euro Slats from Flobeds as a base, ... wife and I could have our own support the way we like it ... get the Soy based Foam from Foamite ... and then order the latex from FBM.

Also, Ikea's mattress is pretty good ... 85% natural latex, only 15% Polyurethane. I am considering putting that on top of the flexible slatted base as well ....

Keep us updated as I am in the same area as you and could use some extra eyes.

Cheers.
Reply #10 May 30, 2009 3:41 PM
flobeds.com. Not sure they ship to Canada but I bet they do.
Reply #11 Jun 17, 2009 6:32 PM
Kait wrote:
I did a search on Google and came up with a manufacturer called Hypnos beds.  They handmake their beds and seem to have no polyfoam in them.  Their site is http://www3.telus.net/public/araam/hypnos/hypnosstory.pdf<BR>They look pretty expensive, but maybe worth checking out.  They use pocketed coils, which are the type that does not transfer motion.  They offer different firmnesses of the coils, too, but be careful of that.  The higher the number, the thinner the gauge, and possibly the quicker they'd wear out.  <BR>Anyway, just a FYI.  Let us know what you find!<BR>Kait

Hypnos are a good brand, using good quality materials and techniques to make a good quality and long lasting bed. the number of springs going up is not directly related to the gauge of wire used going down, it can also be a combination of diffrent nesting patterns used and also posturefill (like a layer of topping that contains pocked springs usually about 3 coils deep) layers or some companys using the spring count in the base to 'bulk up' the total.

saying that, it can also be a lighter gauge wire is used but importantly this does not mean a shorter lifespan as each spring is holding less weight and thus under less pressure.

Recent Posts