My new comfortaire IC 900 (Air Bed)
May 17, 2010 11:04 AM
Hey Guys,

I have been a long time lurker of the forum. I have got a lot of great info from here so I thought I would give something back.

I have never really seen any posts about air mattresses so I thought id share my experiences with my new Comfortaire IC 900.

Last year I bought a new Miralux queen mattress from Sleepy's (got talked into it by a rep) I found it alright to sleep on but my wife (who has fibromyalgia) was in misery for most of the year because of this mattress. So we decided to take the plunge (again) and find a new mattress and use the one we bought last year for our guest room.

Anyway I wanted to do all my research this time around after getting somewhat burned by Sleepy's and was looking at mattresses for months. Being my wife has Fibromyalgia her doctor recommended a sleep number bed. My wife has a hard time getting comfortable in bed and often moves around and something that may feel comfortable to her one night may put her in a lot of pain the next night. That is why we started to look into the sleep number because we could change the firmness based on how she felt on a particular night.

I started to do my research and found sleep number beds have horrible reviews and horror stories of mold going on the air bladders. Also that there is a big piece of PU from running down the center of the bed that at first feels like a big hump in your bed and over time breaks down causing a hammock effect. I also read the quality of foam the use is subpar and obviously the high price tag comes because you are paying for all the marketing they do.

After doing more research I found the brand Comfortaire (Sleep Number was started by an ex comfortaire employee). These air beds did not have a foam divider in the middle, had a better build quality, and cost a fraction of the price for their top of the line model.

We found that you could by Direct from the company for much cheaper but the model numbers were direct then the one of a local store that carried the beds. So I went online to look which models were comparable to the online ones so we could go to our local store, try out the bed and buy it for cheaper online,. We got the info and local furniture store that carried their beds so we went over there to try them out. It felt great we laid there for awhile so my wife could see how she felt and she was hooked.

We were about to buy the bed from the direct website but I thought id do a tad more research. Then I found this great resource on YouTube from a mattress dealer in Virginia called Mattress Alternatives (http://www.mattressalternative.com/) YouTube name mattressexpert(the owners name is John).

He had great informative videos all about different types of mattresses and foams and what you should look for in mattress, He also said he had the lowest prices in the country on these mattresses (cheaper then the factory direct website). I gave him a call and he was great to talk to very knowledgeable about his trade.

What was even better is he carried the 2010 line of comforaire mattresses call the IC line. He is the only one in the country right now to carry this line (it is not even on the comfortaire website yet).

True to his word he did have the best price and I bought the bed from him.

Now after the long back-story let me get to the internals of the mattress

It has 2 zippered compartments the first compartment it has 4 long pieces of 6" PU base foam, you put them together to make the outline of the base. After you have the corners are setup you add the rest of the best foam in and zip the bottom compartment. Then you put in the air bladders side by side (once again no foam divider in-between the bladders they are designed to fit snugly side by side and when the bed is together you cannot notice any gap whatsoever!!). You blow up the bladders and then comes the best part.

They include a nice 3" piece of talalay latex on top of the bladders. This is nice and thick and is great quality. Then the top it off the bed has a nice thick (about 2 inch) Bamboo cover which as you all know is very breathable and clean (and very comfortable).

In conclusion this is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. We have tried latex only bed and didn’t feel the support was their but when you add the adjustability of air to the equation then it’s amazing.

I would recommend this bed to anyone and if you have any question feel free to ask (and thanks for sticking though the lengthy story).

Re: My new comfortaire IC 900 (Air Bed)
Reply #11 Oct 1, 2010 12:24 PM
Not the OP.  Apparently the person who sold it to the OP.  Had a link to the same website the OP had with a new section devoted to a new air mattress with a 5 minute video explaining how he had all these problems with the Comfortaire/Sleep Number, etc.  If he is just being honest thats fine and all...but its a pretty brutal way to essentially tell some of your previously satisfied customers that they paid too much for what he now calls an inferior product.  I will leave my personal opinion about air beds out of this, I just honestly thought the post was a little funny....anyone else who saw that tell me I am not alone...in any event I will go back into my corner lol.
Reply #12 Oct 1, 2010 12:24 PM
requin wrote:

I'm curious. Who said it was good at the time but now I don't like it? The original poster? 

A guy that claimed to have sold it to him said that.   Now he is selling something else that he says is even better! 

Reply #13 Oct 1, 2010 12:45 PM
budgy wrote:

Not the OP.  Apparently the person who sold it to the OP.  Had a link to the same website the OP had with a new section devoted to a new air mattress with a 5 minute video explaining how he had all these problems with the Comfortaire/Sleep Number, etc.  If he is just being honest thats fine and all...but its a pretty brutal way to essentially tell some of your previously satisfied customers that they paid too much for what he now calls an inferior product.  I will leave my personal opinion about air beds out of this, I just honestly thought the post was a little funny....anyone else who saw that tell me I am not alone...in any event I will go back into my corner lol.

You're not alone.  I figured the guy was either beyond nervy or beyond, well goofy! 

Reply #14 Oct 1, 2010 1:06 PM
wow.  Well, I didn't hesitate (as y'all can see) to put in my two cents on my bad experience with an airbed, lol. (Hope that isn't taboo here).
Reply #15 Oct 1, 2010 1:15 PM
requin wrote:

wow.  Well, I didn't hesitate (as y'all can see) to put in my two cents on my bad experience with an airbed, lol. (Hope that isn't taboo here).

What is taboo here is blatant advertising.  Mattress dealers are more than welcome here to offer general advice to help us all navigate that market.  However, including a link to your commercial site is a no-no, which is why administration removed the post.

Reply #16 Oct 19, 2010 2:05 PM
Well, your post is worth a few comments.

Why after this post does it say on your website "Great News I have 2 Comfortaire left in my inventory."

After what you posted here, you call that "great news"? I'd call that really really bad news that you still had any left and I'd be a little embarrassed to sell them much less promote them after what you said.

Your advertising says that they all have massage. Why does the innomax website not mention anything about that .... or are you sorta, kinda, trying to imply that the benefits of the adjustable bed you also want to sell them are the benefits of the mattress itself?

And I hate to break this to you but given what is posted here I really think you need to know. You don't have the best price on the internet. A quick search will confirm that. As a matter of fact the people I bought my adjustable bed from have a better price than you do and they gave me some really good information and service and a great deal on my Reverie.

I could probably go on and I think my own opinions about airbeds are pretty clear from other posts here but I think you get the point. If you come here blatantly advertising your own store ... you are asking for some feedback from people who will actually look past their own nose.

Phoenix

PS: Well I see that your post got deleted (again) while I was writing this. Too funny.

This message was modified Oct 19, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #17 Oct 19, 2010 7:52 PM
I'm trying to respond to you guys but they keep erasing my post.( John of Mattress Alternative )
Reply #18 Oct 19, 2010 8:17 PM
Well they might let you stay if you don't post your link and don't say more than this one time where you are from. Just your first name or even your forum name is enough for anyone here.

You may try posting something and see if they let it stand ... ie is good information as opposed to advertising.

Don't want to say any more in case I end up talking to air again lol.

Phoenix

Recent Posts