Latex mattress bed frame suggestions? (Cal king?)
Aug 12, 2011 3:44 PM
Unless something changes soon, we're most likely going to go with sleepez for our latex mattress.   We're currently sleeping on a queen, but would like a bit more room.  I'm thinking of a Cal King.   Anyone have suggestions for bedframes?  Shawn at sleepez said that many customers buy locally.

As far as the mattress goes, I think we're looking at from top to bottom:

talalay top:    soft  l   med

dunlop        l med l   firm

dunlop          firm l  xfirm

would appreciate feedback before we bite the bullet.   :-)

Re: Latex mattress bed frame suggestions? (Cal king?)
Reply #2 Aug 12, 2011 5:42 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Don't mean to pry or respond to your every post, but was that Shawn's recommendations for layers based on your heights, weights, etc...?

I don't know about bed frames, except I use a $110 Legget and Platt metal bed frame, and I have to shop for another foundation.

well, here's the thing.  I am about 170 lbs and 5'9", and an above knee amputee.   I sleep on my side, but because I don't have two legs, I struggle to turn over. I'm concerned about having a bed too soft.   Shawn recommended this configuration after we spoke a bit.  My husband is lighter - around 150 and a side/back sleeper, and liked the softer beds when we looked at saavy rest.   So Shawn said firm on bottom, med, then soft for him, and x firm on bottom, firm then medium for me.  It will give us room to try different configurations.   From my readings, I think that I am still biased towards dunlop, since natural talalay hasn't been on the market as long, but that could be a wrong assumption.   So I thought we'd try dunlop on the bottom two layers and talalay on the top.   

One thing he did speak about that I didn't know was that their talalay is either from LI or Radium.  From what he said, the blended talalay from radium sounded more natural than the blend from LI.  

We're going to need to buy a new bed frame anyway, since we're going from our queen to a Cal-King.  I'l wondering if we should get a regular frame and then the foundation on top of it - it might be too low for me if I go for a bedframe that I could put the latex mattress right on top.  I'm imagining that I will need a pretty strong frame to hold up the weight of this mattress.   The Flobeds foundation looks nice.....all this adds up though.   =8-}

Reply #3 Aug 12, 2011 6:27 PM
Whichever way you go, get a good frame or foundation.  I'll bet a quality wood Cal King frame would be some bucks.
Reply #4 Aug 12, 2011 8:13 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Whichever way you go, get a good frame or foundation.  I'll bet a quality wood Cal King frame would be some bucks.

sigh, I know.   The one from flobeds is 7 something...not horrible.  

Reply #5 Aug 13, 2011 3:56 AM
Look at the DIY threads.  People have purchased cheap wood frame from Amazon and added some additional wood for a sturdy frame.  I had a cheap metal frame and crappy box thingy that I replaced with <a href="http://www.amenityhome.com/bedroom/muir-platform-bed/amenity-muir-bed.html">this</a> which is rock solid.  I've read postings where people have replaced their bed and had the mattress feel different.
Re: Latex mattress bed frame suggestions? euroslats?
Reply #6 Aug 22, 2011 4:15 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

Look at the DIY threads.  People have purchased cheap wood frame from Amazon and added some additional wood for a sturdy frame.  I had a cheap metal frame and crappy box thingy that I replaced with <a href="http://www.amenityhome.com/bedroom/muir-platform-bed/amenity-muir-bed.html">this</a> which is rock solid.  I've read postings where people have replaced their bed and had the mattress feel different.

wow, the one you bought is beautiful.   I may just go with a eastern king, as sheets will be easier to get, as may be a frame.   (I just thought that the cal king would leave more room for my dogs to sleep on the bed, lol!

I was looking at flobeds.  Their euro slats look nice.  http://www.flobeds.com/foundation/    I was thinking one of those and then maybe a regular metal frame http://www.flobeds.com/product_details.htm?id=8071QU and maybe a headboard?

anyone use the euro slats?  

Thanks again, everyone!

Re: Latex mattress bed frame suggestions? euroslats?
Reply #7 Aug 25, 2011 11:06 AM
Iris wrote:

wow, the one you bought is beautiful.   I may just go with a eastern king, as sheets will be easier to get, as may be a frame.   (I just thought that the cal king would leave more room for my dogs to sleep on the bed, lol!

I was looking at flobeds.  Their euro slats look nice.  http://www.flobeds.com/foundation/    I was thinking one of those and then maybe a regular metal frame http://www.flobeds.com/product_details.htm?id=8071QU and maybe a headboard?

anyone use the euro slats?  

Thanks again, everyone!

Hi Iris,

I was just telling pimy I've got a plan to ease into / try out a euro slat bed base.  I will -

* buy an $80 Sultan Laxeby from Ikea.

* Put it straight onto my metal bed frame for testing out (will need to support foot of mattress with something else temporarily.

* If it goes well, I have the SleepEZ / KD found. wood foundation I can modify to place the euro slate base into.  Will need to mod a bit and add a few slats.

* if that goes well, good.  Option to upgrade to a high end euro slat base (Flobeds, Axel Bloom, Sleepworks, etc..) or an electrically adjustable euro slat base.  We'll see.

-------------

I just know I want this latex the heck off the Serta foundation which like any other 'S' conventional foundation - Full of Leggett and Platt wire frame innards with pretty fabric cover.  They cannot be appopriate for all latex which is way soft underneath unlike much harder bottom foams on conventinal foam mattresses.  Plus, those foundations are non-adjustable and really have No give whatsoever.

What happened last week is the SleepEZ  wood foundation totally didn't work for me with the rigid pine slats.  Pine slats has almost no give and the shoulder area firmed up so much, my right shoulder was hurting a lot a couple days later.  

I know latex mattresses are demo'd on fixed slat bases.  

I hope I'm not finding out that talalay is not so good against fixed slats.  I believe Natural Mattress Store had their all latex on fixed slats, but they use a hefty Dunlop core.  I'm fishing around here a bit. 

European Sleep Works in Berkeley promotes the euro slat bases.  We're just finding out about these through Ikea and places like this.

I saw an ' American marketing' video for mattress sales people.  Guy kept plugging 'just sell steel '  ...... 'why?'  .... 'cause everyone knows steel is stronger than wood'  ..........

Yeah, and steel the way they use it in conventional foundations seem rigid to me.  Wanna laugh?  Go look and feel all the foundations used for conventional mattresses.  They are pretty much all the same.  Innerspring, memory foam (except TP) , Serta Vera Wang, all the same.  There are no more 'box springs' with springs or ever any kind of spring flex system.  They all use a grid of rods.  They are built to be cheap and strong enough, except my Serta foundation bent slightly in no time.  The usua run of the mill stuff we get - Leggett and Platt semi flex innards.

Just different fabrics over top.

This message was modified Aug 25, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #8 Nov 26, 2012 6:14 AM
You want to install a headboard  you must choose the right headboard.Then create a focal point in your bedroom,It is important that you measure
the existing bed to fit it properly with a headboard.
This message was modified Nov 26, 2012 by a moderator

Recent Posts