Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Dec 15, 2007 12:44 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet and ordered the SleepEZ 10000 and returned the Costco Comfortluxe.

I am a bit nervous about ordering a mattress without having tried it!  :)  However, what I really liked was Shawn even suggested I spend LESS and buy the 8500 model because "you just don't use more than 5.6/6" of foam." He said that until the mid-80s all the latex mattresses were just 6", but since then people think more is better. I ended up choosing the 10000 because of bed sheet fiting, Shawn said that sheets can be a bit of a pain to get for the thinner mattresses nowadays (Sheets are made for huge beds now)

So despite my nervousness on buying something sight unseen, I just keep telling myself all the wonderful reviews I have read here about the service level with Sleepez means it should be ok! :) (i hope :) ).
This message was modified Dec 15, 2007 by novahelp
Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....- matress case
Reply #63 Feb 11, 2008 9:38 PM
I love my mattress case that has a little bit of a give and protects the latex and makes my mattress look like a conventional mattress. This is the 2nd case FloBeds sent me and it is just perfect for my Latex bed in my opinion. I like how it has protection on the sides so the zipper will not catch onto the latex like former mattress cover. Dave said he switched supplies to get the better mattress cover and this is what he sells now. It is organic cotton with wool inside and feels good.  I would try the case the mattress came with again also and keep the layers firm with a less thick topper over the layers. 

I slept wonderful last night with putting my 1" topper over my 39 ILD over the 36 ILD (was on top but put it in the middle) over the 44 ILD. I am waiting for the Brylane Topper and then if this combination still works out, I may ask Dave for another 39 or 40 ILD (36 ILD's have ranges and on the side of the natural latex core from Latex International it does give an average and I can definitely feel a difference between the 36 ILD and the 39 ILD.  My back just knows it is firmer. 

I never believed in toppers when I had a conventional mattress but now that I see how they help me sleep better by cushioning my pressure points and I do not move much when I am sleeping, I wish I had a topper over my super firm conventional mattresses all those years before I switched in May 2007 to a latex bed from Flobeds.  I used  to think I was a restless sleeper but now I see I only moved from side to side all night to get off the pressure points. I always could only sleep on a very firm mattress and this is the case now also but now I like a tiny bit of cushion on top.

I also used to wake up with a snuffed nose and allergies and many times I coughed all night but now I wake up feeling great and do not cough as I sleep since I have no allergies to my mostly natural latex bed and pillows (two of my latex cores are a Talalay Blend).  I had to air out the latex cores for several days but afterwards I had no problems. Also since the latex cores come wrapped in plastic, I needed to air them out to get rid of that smell also. I was amazed that the natural latex had a stronger smell at first than the blended latex. But I still feel better knowing most of my bed has the Talalay Natural latex cores. 

I also love my slat box and the 10" legs allowing me to store things under my bed.  At first the pine smell was strong and I was worried (I am not allergic to pine but still dislike smells as I sleep) but it went away.  If it would continue to bother me, Dave was going to have me send it back and he would have covered the top also in the organic cotton for me but I am glad I was OK after a little time passed.

Re: Just ordered Sleepez 10000....
Reply #64 Feb 12, 2008 12:32 AM
I agree that I wouldn't want to sleep on my latex unless I had my quilted zippered mattress cover over all of it. It's a thick fabric and there's some polyfil to give it some cushion. So, the latex is there, but not JUST there against my back. I even have a CuddleBed fiberbed type mattress topper over that. I agree that when it's all pulled together it's not as jiggly and bouncy.

mattressmom wrote:
novahelp, I wonder if you would feel less like you are on top of a rubber ball if you put your layers back inside the case - and try something like medium/soft or medium/firm and put a one or two inch soft topper on top of the whole thing. The case is an important part of the mattress. It holds the latex together and gives it some oompf and should dampen some of the rubberyness of the latex. IIRC, you had problems with hammocking when you had a soft top layer inside the case. I can't remember if you had tried a medium top layer inside the case. I wonder if the case will stretch a bit over time so you'd sink into a medium layer but still have the structure of the case to provide support. The top of the case should fit tightly over the latex and conform to it - like a thick mattress pad. <BR><BR>If the case doesn't fit tightly and/or doesn't conform to the top of the latex, I wonder if your real problem is with the case and not the latex. The more I think about it, three layers of Talalay latex on the floor without a case - would be pretty jiggly. I wonder if you might get used to the feeling of the wool top of the case if you had the right latex under it - and a bit of soft cush on top of the whole mattress for hip pressure relief.<BR><BR>I did feel a bit of hip pressure on our quilted wool mattress top for a night or two - but it disappeared when I got used to the new mattress and it stretched out a bit. Making the bottom layer slightly less firm by putting the soft side of the bottom layer up made a slight but significant change. (We have Dunlop which has a firm side and a soft side.) That's why I think the firm rather than extra firm on the bottom layer might work better for you.<BR><BR>Besides, you paid for the case - it's a big part of the cost of the mattress. If it doesn't work for you, SleepEZ should be able to work something out with you besides the simple terry cover. FloBeds has several mattress case choices that seem more flexible than the one SleepEZ case.<BR><BR>Best of luck to you....
Reply #65 Feb 12, 2008 11:07 AM
Lynn, which FloBeds cover do you have? Is this the description? - "Euro Stretch-Knit Cover made with Organic Cotton quilted to naturally Fire Resistant 100% Pure Mt. Shasta Wool (1 inch before quilting). Fire Resistant without chemicals!" The picture looks like a brownish, unbleached cotton. Is that the newer style cover or the older style cover?

When I search for "cover" in Twin Long on the right side of the FloBeds page - about 12 options come up and I am trying to sort them out. I am thinking about getting one of the FloBeds covers for my son's Dunlop core at some point.

Right now he has a Twin XL six inch medium Dunlop core with 2 inches of 36 ILD Talalay on the bottom in a cheap 8" deep memory foam velour cover from eBay. It works for him but the cover might not be that sturdy if we move it to a college dorm room. He says he doesn't care - but I can notice less allergy snuffles from him in the morning. He's 17, so he could probably sleep on a box of rocks (once he actually lays down and tries to sleep) but he does have noticebly less allergy symptoms since I got rid of his futon and made him try the latex mattress. At least he is begrudgingly admitting that he's sleeping better.
Reply #66 Feb 12, 2008 2:45 PM
Mattressmom, it sounds like it is the cover but I can ask Dave for you since I wanted to call him and tell him I bought a Brylane Latex Topper and ask him about one more Latex Core that is about a 39 ILD for the other side of my bed to switch with my 36 ILD that is averaging a little less than a 35 ILD.  It has some give on it and is very comfortable and more padded than my prior cover and looks like a real mattress and is less white than the other color. It looks like unbleached natural cotton so is slightly tannish. I love how the sides have protection before you zip it up since the prior cover kept catching onto the Latex.  This cover is sturdy and very nice.
Reply #67 Feb 12, 2008 10:21 PM
Wow, lots of great responses! Thanks! :)

I tried the included mattress case several times. All times it HURT my hip. A LOT.  I never heard of a breakin period where you endure pain so the case gets better?  Seems a bit weird to me...
Additionally, with the case I couldn't even tell I was on a foam bed, the thing just didn't allow the foam to contour to my body the way it does now with just a sheet over the foam. I mean, TempurPedic doesn't put wool on top of its beds (yes, I realize it is memory foam so it is "different"). 

The terry cloth case they sent me didn't fit.  Sean did offer to send another, but I asked him to wait because since the terry will be about the same as no cover, i wanted to be sure the layers could actually be arranged to work for me. 

As for additional memory foams, I am not that opposed to it. However, to be honest, I really want this to work as it was sold to me. Added layers on top isn't really what I was looking to do but I will if I need to. I have some old 1" cheap memory foam i can likely use...

In any case, I can report that I have slept ok for last 3 nights on:

Soft
Medium
X-firm

In fact it may be a bit too firm for me so I am swapping the x-Firm for the firm layer. 
This message was modified Feb 12, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #68 Feb 12, 2008 10:24 PM
mattressmom wrote:
novahelp, I wonder if you would feel less like you are on top of a rubber ball if you put your layers back inside the case - and try something like medium/soft or medium/firm and put a one or two inch soft topper on top of the whole thing. The case is an important part of the mattress. It holds the latex together and gives it some oompf and should dampen some of the rubberyness of the latex. IIRC, you had problems with hammocking when you had a soft top layer inside the case. I can't remember if you had tried a medium top layer inside the case. I wonder if the case will stretch a bit over time so you'd sink into a medium layer but still have the structure of the case to provide support. The top of the case should fit tightly over the latex and conform to it - like a thick mattress pad.

If the case doesn't fit tightly and/or doesn't conform to the top of the latex, I wonder if your real problem is with the case and not the latex. The more I think about it, three layers of Talalay latex on the floor without a case - would be pretty jiggly. I wonder if you might get used to the feeling of the wool top of the case if you had the right latex under it - and a bit of soft cush on top of the whole mattress for hip pressure relief.

I did feel a bit of hip pressure on our quilted wool mattress top for a night or two - but it disappeared when I got used to the new mattress and it stretched out a bit. Making the bottom layer slightly less firm by putting the soft side of the bottom layer up made a slight but significant change. (We have Dunlop which has a firm side and a soft side.) That's why I think the firm rather than extra firm on the bottom layer might work better for you.

Besides, you paid for the case - it's a big part of the cost of the mattress. If it doesn't work for you, SleepEZ should be able to work something out with you besides the simple terry cover. FloBeds has several mattress case choices that seem more flexible than the one SleepEZ case.

Best of luck to you....

The only time it felt like a rubber ball was when I had four layers. With three layers it is fine. The only problem is that with three ayers I tend to bottom out when I move quickly and apply a lot of pressure in one spot. 
IMHO a quilted wool mattress top negates the entire point of foam. Good point on asking Sleepez for some other type of cover, I will ask them tomorrow.

I just moved the layers.  Grr, same problem with the

Soft
Medium
Firm

I sink through and feel the floor.  Will still try it tonight and see how it is.  Not sure, I read other people my weight didn't report this problem so this makes no sense... is it possible the firm layer they sent me is not really firm?
This message was modified Feb 12, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #69 Feb 13, 2008 9:59 AM
novahelp wrote:
The only time it felt like a rubber ball was when I had four layers. With three layers it is fine. The only problem is that with three ayers I tend to bottom out when I move quickly and apply a lot of pressure in one spot.  <BR>IMHO a quilted wool mattress top negates the entire point of foam. Good point on asking Sleepez for some other type of cover, I will ask them tomorrow.<BR><BR>I just moved the layers.  Grr, same problem with the <BR> <BR> Soft<BR> Medium<BR> Firm<BR> <BR> I sink through and feel the floor.  Will still try it tonight and see how it is.  Not sure, I read other people my weight didn't report this problem so this makes no sense... is it possible the firm layer they sent me is not really firm?<br type="_moz"/>

That's so frustrating. It still sounds your problem is with the cover. The top shouldn't feel much different than a regular mattress pad. You are paying several hundred dollars for the mattress case - it should do it's job. It sounds like it was hammocking over the soft layer and might work better over medium. It sounds like the FloBeds knit covers conform to the latex better. Maybe you could at least get a refund or discount on the cover you aren't using. Do you put a regular mattress pad over your latex layers?

There is some variation in ILD so maybe your Firm is on the low end of the firm range. Have you tried something like Medium/Medium/Firm? If you are a heavier person, the soft layer with ILDs in the low to mid 20's is not going to be supportive enough for long - even if it seems comfortable at first.

Or maybe latex isn't for you. It sounds like you've tried a lot of variations. I wonder if Dunlop might have worked better for you.
Reply #70 Feb 13, 2008 7:34 PM
Actually, I think I finally got it... :)

Soft (top)
Medium
X-firm

It's the best so far.  I will try it again for a few nights, and then see about getting a replacement mattress case.  Believe it or not, the bottom layer DOES make it firmer, and effects the entire feel of the combo.

This was too soft and gave me shoulder pain! Guess I been sleeping on much too soft surfaces.
soft
medium
firm
Reply #71 Feb 13, 2008 9:36 PM
Novahelp, Yes the bottom latex core does affect the feel of the whole mattress. I was told since I am light weight and small anything beyond the top two layers I will not notice a difference. For me, I could not sleep on the latex bed without one 44 ILD in the equation. Right now I have a 44 ILD on the bottom which FloBeds calls Super Firm but I think it is the Extra Firm for SleepEZ?  I know I have a 36 ILD on top of that with a 39 ILD on top of that with the very soft latex 1" pad on that.  Without the 44 ILD latex core on the bottom or in the middle, my bed is too soft and I get back pain.  This sounds like a good combination for you the way you now have it set up. It is frustrating but well worth the effort having a bed made to fit your particular needs.

I went into the edit the spelling of "the" since I accidentally spelled it teh (do not understand why my fingers do this as I type when I know how to spell very well) and I am sure it will show up that I edited my message. I wish it would not do this if a word is just being corrected for spelling.

This message was modified Feb 14, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #72 Feb 14, 2008 5:04 PM
This is definitely the best combo!!!!!!!

I sleep great on the soft-medium-X-firm combo.  I would like it a bit firmer but the Medium-Firm-xfirm is too much.

Hmm, now what are my case options? I could try the included case again, but I really dread the hip pain I got from it the last few times....

Recent Posts