IKEA Latex
Jul 12, 2010 4:39 AM
They have 3 beds that are all latex.  Even the most expensive version has 15% synthetic. The middle version is 80% synthetic latex and fiberous materials. I'm guessing the cheap one is all synthetic latex and 'fibers'.

Anyone have any experience/opinion with them? Not much details on the website on specifics...  The "5 comfort zones relieve pressure on your shoulders and hips" is a bit sketchy to me.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80139970

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50139995

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60109592

Re: IKEA Latex
Reply #3 Jul 18, 2010 9:44 AM
We have an older IKEA latex mattress - the SULTAN EVJE.  It is a six inch core (most likely dunlop) wrapped in wool + silk with a zippered cotton cover.  It feels very firm when paired with the SULTAN LADE slats.  Having said that, we slept on it for about three years without any problems and it's still going strong.  Just this year we bought a new latex mattress and relegated the IKEA to guest room status.  When my parents were over for the weekend, they slept on it and said that it was quite comfortable.  If it works for you and you don't mind that some of the mattress is synthetic latex, then I say it's a worthwhile purchase - especially when price is taken into account.

Good luck!

Reply #4 Jul 18, 2010 10:26 AM
hf2046 wrote:

We have an older IKEA latex mattress - the SULTAN EVJE.  It is a six inch core (most likely dunlop) wrapped in wool + silk with a zippered cotton cover.  It feels very firm when paired with the SULTAN LADE slats.  Having said that, we slept on it for about three years without any problems and it's still going strong.  Just this year we bought a new latex mattress and relegated the IKEA to guest room status.  When my parents were over for the weekend, they slept on it and said that it was quite comfortable.  If it works for you and you don't mind that some of the mattress is synthetic latex, then I say it's a worthwhile purchase - especially when price is taken into account.

Good luck!

SULTAN LADE slats - Hi, what kind of bed you have? Is it platform bed and did you get it from Ikea?

What are these slats? how do you put them on the platform bed or did they come attached to the platform bed if you have that bed?

How much did your platform bed costs and how much are these slats and what size?

How much weight can they hold? I mean can they hold a latex mattress that can weight 150 lbs and plus the additional weight - yours? I weigh 210 lbs.

Thanks.

Reply #5 Jul 18, 2010 9:39 PM
@roy: a lot of your questions can be answered by visiting the IKEA website.
Reply #6 Jul 18, 2010 10:04 PM
roy1 wrote:

SULTAN LADE slats - Hi, what kind of bed you have? Is it platform bed and did you get it from Ikea?

What are these slats? how do you put them on the platform bed or did they come attached to the platform bed if you have that bed?

How much did your platform bed costs and how much are these slats and what size?

How much weight can they hold? I mean can they hold a latex mattress that can weight 150 lbs and plus the additional weight - yours? I weigh 210 lbs.

Thanks.

Hi Roy,

We have the MALM bed frame in the queen size.  The slats are made out of solid pine and come completely separate from the frame.  They are attached to each other with a polyester ribbon stapled into the wood - kinda like a Jacob's ladder.  There are other slats out there, but the LADE are the cheapest at $30.  For a queen size bed, you'll need to get two sets of slats.  Once the frame is assembled they'll sit side by side next to each other (there's a galvanized steel midbeam attached to the bed to help hold them up).  The bed frame is fairly inexpensive as well ($199), but it's made out of particleboard with a birch veneer.  If you prefer solid wood, the HEMNES collection is made out of pine.

Our setup is fairly sturdy - I think the bedframes / slats / mattress can easily handle your weight.  Just don't jump up and down on the bed.  :)

Hope this helps!

Reply #7 Jul 19, 2010 2:21 AM
hf2046 wrote:

Hi Roy,

We have the MALM bed frame in the queen size.  The slats are made out of solid pine and come completely separate from the frame.  They are attached to each other with a polyester ribbon stapled into the wood - kinda like a Jacob's ladder.  There are other slats out there, but the LADE are the cheapest at $30.  For a queen size bed, you'll need to get two sets of slats.  Once the frame is assembled they'll sit side by side next to each other (there's a galvanized steel midbeam attached to the bed to help hold them up).  The bed frame is fairly inexpensive as well ($199), but it's made out of particleboard with a birch veneer.  If you prefer solid wood, the HEMNES collection is made out of pine.

Our setup is fairly sturdy - I think the bedframes / slats / mattress can easily handle your weight.  Just don't jump up and down on the bed.  :)

Hope this helps!

How is this one?  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60125969

How are they different then the one you have?

Thanks.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by roy1
Reply #8 Jul 19, 2010 3:49 AM
Roy,

We just purchased the Hemnes king frame and the Sultan Laxeby slatted foundation for our 10" Sleep Science latex mattress.  It's a bear to put together, but I really like the Laxeby.  It's got more "spring" than the standard flat slats.  It's also got adjustable firmness levels.  So far, I am really happy with the choice of the pricer Laxeby slats.

The IKEA guy tried to convince me that their latex was 100% natural and that I didn't need 10".  I am not sure I agree with him.

I forgot about the weight issue.  I weigh a lot more than you and have no concerns about the ability of the frame and slats to hold my weight.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by calliaz

Recent Posts