How's this spring mattress I just ordered?
Mar 1, 2008 4:09 PM
I ordered this Sealy as I plan to now put my own 3" latex or memory foam topper on top of the strong coil system
This one, according to the salesman, Sealy Posturepedic Wyrick is basically just the coil with some padding.

What I liked is this salesman understood what I was trying to do and didn't try to upsell me on more plush models since I planned to use my own comfort layers. Also they will give me one free total bed exchange if I don't like it...

http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=13753&SID=6

Was thinking of keeping the soft 2.9" layer from my SleepEz bed to use as the topper.

Thoughts?
This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by novahelp
Re: How's this spring mattress I just ordered?
Reply #12 Mar 8, 2008 3:33 PM
Sabra wrote:
Novahelp,

You're right, the queens don't go into the 800's on Sealy. The queen size is usually the size people use to compare coils across the board. Sorry for the wrong info...I hope it is a great foundation for your toppers.

Sabra

Sealy Posturepedic coil systems go up to 805 in a queen size.  This is their highest coil count and all of their coils are 14.5 gauge wire.  When you are looking at a Sealy Posturepedic, 736 coils in the queen size is more support than is generally needed for the average adults.  The next coil count is 782 in a queen, and then 805.  The higher coil counts will give you slightly more conformity, but no more support.  The higher coil count is really redundant.  Some of the mattresses built for the big chains will have a little "pig-tail" or extra turn on the top and bottom of the coil.  This is called the "DSS" coil and is supposed to be better at reducing motion.  Some unscrupulous people in this industry will count that little "pig-tail" on top and bottom as extra coils.  As this DSS system is only available on the 782 coil count, some people will quote the coil count of this unit at 2346 (782x3), but that is a pretty easy ploy to see through. 

As far as how the mattress stacks up, if you got the basic Sealy Posturepedic, you can expect many years of use out of it.  I would like to warn not to sacrifice comfort for durability.  If the mattress lasts forever, but you are miserable on it, it doesn't do any good.  I will always say, "SHOP FOR COMFORT AND COMFORT ALONE!"
Reply #13 Mar 8, 2008 7:37 PM
My prior Sealy Posturepedic Mattress was their fimest model with no topper and no padding and I used it for 14 years. It really should have been disposted at when it was 12 years old. Iam light weight and I flipped it a lot and switched sides so it lasted a long time.  I used it over a platform bed and most people who lied on it thought it was too hard for sleeping but I was comfortable until it was 12 years of age. But I see now I used to move from side to side all night to get off my pressure points so I may have had no back pain on it but I would have slept better with a thin soft topper on it.
Reply #14 Mar 9, 2008 1:44 PM
This mattress is a piece of sh*t.  I had to put 3" of latex and 3" of memory foam on top to make it bareable last night!! I still woke up with my hip and shoulder hurting.
I can't believe they sell this thing for $1200. 

FIrst, I feel like I am laying on a "buggy seat" it jiggles so much. There is NO padding at all, and the covering feels like hard plastic.  OUCH!

I am going to ask for a switch to this one:  http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=28079&SID=6 
My last mattress from 10yrs ago was a Serta and I think it will be much better.
Reply #15 Mar 9, 2008 2:26 PM
Novahelp,

I'm so sorry this didn't work for you. Your new mattress unfortunately sounds like my old hard bed where my toppers just couldn't make it comfortable. I read about the one you are ordering--it looks like it will help relieve those pressure points. Plus the Outlast should not make it so hot. I think I speak for the others here in saying we were all pulling for this mattress to work out. Let us know after you try the new one. Too bad mattress shopping is such a trial and error endeavor. That's why we have forums like this I guess.

Sabra

PS I've found my mattress but I'm still trying out pillows to not have neck pain when I awake. I'm going on my forth one now!

Reply #16 Mar 9, 2008 2:39 PM
Sabra wrote:
Novahelp,

I'm so sorry this didn't work for you. Your new mattress unfortunately sounds like my old hard bed where my toppers just couldn't make it comfortable. I read about the one you are ordering--it looks like it will help relieve those pressure points. Plus the Outlast should not make it so hot. I think I speak for the others here in saying we were all pulling for this mattress to work out. Let us know after you try the new one. Too bad mattress shopping is such a trial and error endeavor. That's why we have forums like this I guess.

Sabra

PS I've found my mattress but I'm still trying out pillows to not have neck pain when I awake. I'm going on my forth one now!

Thanks for your supportive words. In a MILLION years I never thought this would take me months. My last bed was a Serta I went to Sams and purchased for $300 10 yrs ago and it was GREAT.
I hope this new Serta isnt as jiggly as the Sealy. It will take a week to get to me so I am going to their showroom to try it out again..
Reply #17 Mar 9, 2008 3:47 PM
I'm sorry novahelp. :( In the past 25 years I've had two Sealys and one Serta Perfect Sleeper, purchased in the late '80s. The Serta still sits in my guest room, in "PERFECT" condition. The Sealys never felt as comfortable to me. One was BOARD hard. My mistake for going with super-firm. I sold that to a friend and bought the Serta. At first I ordered a firmer one, but quickly exchanged it for the cushion firm in the same model. Ahhhhh...much better. Double-sided. Belgian damask cover. Built like they used to build mattresses. They must have used better foams back then, too. Or I just got lucky. The later Sealy (the one before my current zippered mattress) was also on the firmer side, but definitely started sagging in the middle, even with minimal foam. Granted, it was 12 years old. But it was on its way out before that. Actually, my husband had a cheap Serta pillow top that my mattress guy took apart and the foam was pretty bad. Coils in perfect condition. So, even Sertas have their crummy fillings.

Anyway, my point is, I preferred my OLD Serta over my old Sealys. I also think my foundation has more bounce to it than my current ones, although I prefer a more stable base.

Good luck and keep us posted!

novahelp wrote:
This mattress is a piece of sh*t.  I had to put 3&quot; of latex and 3&quot; of memory foam on top to make it bareable last night!! I still woke up with my hip and shoulder hurting.<BR>I can't believe they sell this thing for $1200.  <BR><BR>FIrst, I feel like I am laying on a &quot;buggy seat&quot; it jiggles so much. There is NO padding at all, and the covering feels like hard plastic.  OUCH!<BR><BR>I am going to ask for a switch to this one:  http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=28079&amp;SID=6  <BR>My last mattress from 10yrs ago was a Serta and I think it will be much better.
Reply #18 Mar 9, 2008 5:56 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I'm sorry novahelp. :( In the past 25 years I've had two Sealys and one Serta Perfect Sleeper, purchased in the late '80s. The Serta still sits in my guest room, in "PERFECT" condition. The Sealys never felt as comfortable to me. One was BOARD hard. My mistake for going with super-firm. I sold that to a friend and bought the Serta. At first I ordered a firmer one, but quickly exchanged it for the cushion firm in the same model. Ahhhhh...much better. Double-sided. Belgian damask cover. Built like they used to build mattresses. They must have used better foams back then, too. Or I just got lucky. The later Sealy (the one before my current zippered mattress) was also on the firmer side, but definitely started sagging in the middle, even with minimal foam. Granted, it was 12 years old. But it was on its way out before that. Actually, my husband had a cheap Serta pillow top that my mattress guy took apart and the foam was pretty bad. Coils in perfect condition. So, even Sertas have their crummy fillings.

Anyway, my point is, I preferred my OLD Serta over my old Sealys. I also think my foundation has more bounce to it than my current ones, although I prefer a more stable base.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Funny you said that, this cheap Sealy feels like a "board" -- sort of like one of those cheap motel mattresses.

Like you my old Serta was so wonderful -- I didn't realize how much better quality that cheap thing from Sams was just 10 years ago compared to the units out today. It too was two sided, had great plush tops on both sides.  If the darn thing didn't start making me roll towards the middle I would still be using it today! :(

Anyway, I hope a Serta will work.  People here have said that the Sealys are "jiggly" and "bouncy" because of their spring type, so going back to Serta hopefully will at least give me a nice spring system again.  I went for the plush top over the pillow top because I still plan to put my own comfort layer on top and it is well known that pillow tops eventually settle and get hard.

Honestly, if this mattress lasts 3 yrs I am fine with it at this point.  :)
Reply #19 Mar 9, 2008 6:02 PM
Novahelp, I know your frustration. In February last year, I was looking for a bed during the President's sale day weekend and I was amazed at how the prices have gone up for beds not nearly as comfortable as my former beds.  I made the mistake of listening to salepeople tell me lies about what the bed was made out of and going softer than my back likes since they told me that was what my back needed. After returning the bed I was so allergic to, I then decided to buy a latex topper and sleep on the floor until after my busy season when I had time to try out a latex kit.  But the car accident did not happen until August so I was comfortable with the set up on the carpet in my bedroom and my little dogs loved visiting me an playing on my bed and were upset with I got a bed on legs again in May. 

I still do not know how you can sleep on a thick soft layer as a topper but maybe you are much bigger than me (I am not quite 5 feet and very petite) so you sink down enough to feel the support underneath. I am having problems with my 1" topper being too soft.

Reply #20 Mar 9, 2008 8:56 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:

I still do not know how you can sleep on a thick soft layer as a topper but maybe you are much bigger than me (I am not quite 5 feet and very petite) so you sink down enough to feel the support underneath. I am having problems with my 1" topper being too soft.

Our frames are VERY different :)  At 6'5" 215lbs things work very different for me  :)  I honestly just like a surface to cushion my hips from side sleeping, and i need more cushion as I push down with about 2x the force as you :)   (F=M*A) :P
This message was modified Mar 9, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #21 Mar 9, 2008 11:08 PM
Novahelp, You are so right that since our frames are so different, we require different amounts of cushion.  So maybe the 2.9" soft layer is not too soft for you since you since down much more than me being so tall.  Please keep us updated. We are all here for you since I try to help others like they have helped me in the past and continue to help me.

Recent Posts