How thick for Foam Topper?/Brands
Sep 24, 2007 12:31 PM
I have researched the site and due to the new forum, data is limited. So I ask, what is a good thickness for a foam topper? Also, what good websites for reliable toppers and if any, retail stores that may have good quality foam toppers, such as Wal-Mart/SamsClub to JcPenny and so-on. I see that some Memory foam toppers are on sale on some sites from reputable foam manufactures.  
Re: How thick for Foam Topper?/Brands
Reply #1 Sep 24, 2007 3:23 PM
Foam Nerd
Toppers generally range from 1" to 4", with 2" being a semi-typical starting point. Generally speaking 1" won't accomplish much. Beware that many of the toppers sold by department stores are of a very low density, meaning they won't last very long, and if they are too soft, they won't add much in the way of comfort.
There are memory foam toppers, polyurethane (just regular old foam), and latex. There are solid toppers and convoluted toppers and toppers with channels cut into them.

There are no easy answers to your question, but if you can provide some information about your current mattress, what problem you are trying to solve, and how much money you are looking to spend, we can point you in the direction of some websites which provide good information and fair value. And I'm sure there are good toppers available at department stores, if you know what to look for.
This message was modified Sep 25, 2007 by a moderator
Reply #2 Sep 24, 2007 4:23 PM
I purchased the Simmons Beautyrest Classic Firm, with king (twin xl) adjustable frame. It is firm and I slept well last night, but my wife and I agree that a topper would close the deal. I figure I could spend $150-300.  
Reply #3 Sep 24, 2007 4:29 PM
What sleeping positions do you use?

Side, stomach, back?

Are you both of average height and weight?

Do you like the bed to feel firm or soft?
Reply #4 Sep 24, 2007 4:34 PM
MequonJim wrote:
What sleeping positions do you use?

Side, stomach, back?

Are you both of average height and weight?

Do you like the bed to feel firm or soft?

I start on my back, then side to the left, then side to the right, then back. But last night I did not turn as much. I'm 5'-5" at 175lb........... of pure muscle..............OK, maybe not. But we like the idea of a firm foundation and we like the feel and support of the memory foam. But we want the best bang for our buck.
Reply #5 Sep 24, 2007 5:09 PM
I  have been very happy with the memory foam I got from Healthy Foundations over the internet.  It is 2" thick and 4lb. density.  Queen size is $175.  Service was good, quality seems good, and it really softened up our firm bed very nicely.  Personally I think anything over 2" makes the memory foam too thick, too much sink in etc, but that is very subjective and you need to do some exploration to see what works for you.  You can always add a layer I guess, but can't cut it back if it's too thick to start with!
Reply #6 Sep 25, 2007 1:18 AM
I am very happy with just a 1" latex topper that is soft over a 36 ILD natural Latex core over a 44 ILD natural latex core over a 36 ILD natural latex core with the new cover Dave at FloBeds sent me to replace my old cover. The new cover seems to confirm to my body better. I love this combination since I have very firm good support but a little cushion. Of course,  I am petite and only 4"10.75" tall and now a little over 100 lbs due to the death of my father and my car accident. I gained about 7 lbs but I am not worried since I know I will lose it as soon as my neck and arm are better and I can exercise again.

The latex topper is from Overstock but is is a little small for my Queen Bed so I am going to ask Dave if he can find me a topper that is 1" and natural latex and soft since I returned the 2" convoluted topper that was too soft and too thick for me. 

I really love my bed so much and now even more with my new cover and my 10" legs. I was able to put plastic roll-out drawers under my bed (after airing them out for a few weeks) and now have clothes off the floor as I wait for my new Durham furniture to arrived and hopefully this time it will not be damaged with paint peeling and mismatched colors like the Stanley Furniture was that I returned.  I kept the Wesley Allen Headboard.
Reply #7 Sep 25, 2007 9:06 AM
If you sleep mostly on your back (2 out of 4 positions) , then I think 1 1/2" - 2" thick should be good for you.

Since you like memory foam, and a firm feel, Sensus by Foamex would probably feel good to you.  Sensus is a very high quality memory foam, and should last you a long time.  It is very durable.  Over a firm sleep surface, it will keep a fairly firm feeling.  As it warms up with your body temperature, it will start to feel like a marshmallow which is what will soften the mattress for you.

You can search the internet for Sensus to find prices.  There is a thread at this new forum that discusses it too.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it.
Reply #8 Sep 25, 2007 11:02 AM
I just bought a Simmons Extra Firm mattress and found it needed a topper.  I got a 2" memory foam topper (2.5lb density).  The combo works great!  I bought at a department store (I was impatient) but it seems that you can get a better deal with higher quaility from a reputable online shop.

Recent Posts