Heavy People: What ILD's are in your Latex Mattress?
May 31, 2015 2:16 PM
Hi, Greetings to all!

I live in Canada and I am about to purchase a 100% All Natural Dunlop Latex bed from an online mattress site(Arizona Premium Mattress Company). I have been searching this forum and have found it quite helpful. Due to my disability (lower back issue) travel is problematic so it is difficult for me to test mattresses as there are no retailers in my area so this will be 'somewhat' of a blind purchase . I did manage to test a few mattresses so I have an idea of what I'm looking for.

Here is what I am considering:
2" of ILD 22 Dunlop (Topper)
3" of ILD 25-29 Dunlop (pressure relief layer)
6" of ILD 36 Dunlop (core layer)

I would like to know what ILD configuration other 'heavy' people like myself (I weight 270lbs) are using in their latex mattresses especially in the 'pressure relief' layer (please identify if your layers are Dunlop or Talalay). Any assistance anyone can provide is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!
Re: Heavy People: What ILD's are in your Latex Mattress?
Reply #6 Jul 25, 2015 10:51 AM
How is it going?
Reply #7 Sep 7, 2015 6:15 PM
Hi! New to this site. I bought a pure latex mattress 8" in 2000. The store I bought it from only had one firmness I believe now it was xfirm. My husband/I slept on this for a while and we both started having shoulder pressure points at the same time. So I layered it up with 4.5# D memory foam and got it up to 7" for me (it was too soft for H). After 15 yrs of sleeping this way age/time/bed? Had spine problems I couldn't sit ER/spine shot/etc. I thought I would have to live the rest of my life in my recliner to get relief off my spine. This all started in April 2015. So I thought it might be the bed being too soft started sleeping on innerspring with 4" M foam on top. I don't get up with pain in the morn now. I've been looking at M foam beds with adj bed frames. When I went to you tube and saw man(mattress education) talking about beds. So we used electric knife to cut the latex king in half. Now I'm thinking of a latex topper, if I can get this right I'm buying and adjustable bed frame. Spoke to foam source and she said 2" medium/2" soft on top of latex mattress. I've just started reading this forum and wondered if anyone else had topped their latex mattress. I'll let U know when I decide, thought of going with soft 19-21/med 24-26
This message was modified Sep 7, 2015 by amy999
Reply #8 Oct 15, 2015 6:16 AM
For people with back pain issues it is always best to opt for medium firm mattress. Firmer or softer the mattress it would post problems in your back pain. This is one of the issues many chiropractors and doctors fail to note. It ultimately comes to support the spinal cord. A firmer mattress makes it difficult for the pressure points to come in accordance with the mattress layer. Adjustable beds are quite new in the market and solve many issues related to back pain or sleep disorders.
This message was modified Oct 15, 2015 by a moderator

Recent Posts