Flobeds Posture Zone-on-Point - Talalay Latex Mattress
Mar 29, 2008 11:38 AM
I wanted a Dunlop latex mattress for my Mom, but all the talk about return policy and the fact that Flobeds is having a sale right now has me considering the Flobeds Posture Zone-on-Point Talalay Latex Mattress for my Mom.

It looks to me that I can get split cores for even a Full, a very nice touch which would give me more configuration options because my Mom sleeps alone and I could set up the two sides of the bed at different firmnesses and she could sleep on either one side or the other (she does that now). None of the other mattresses I've looked at has offered split sides for a Full.

My Mom is 80, a side sleeper, is 5'3", weighs 105 lbs, and has occasional knee pain on her current 30-year-old PU foam mattress. She says she wants a soft mattress, so I'm thinking (Soft | Soft) with (Soft | Medium). Because it's zone-on-point, if I understand that correctly, even with the (Soft | Soft) layer I would have a medium strip in there. The foundation is going to be a SmartBase steel foundation.

In addition to my reticence over going with Talalay, I'm also concerned that if I later decided to add a topper that the mattress/foundation would be too high. This Flobeds mattress is 11.25" thick.

Any thoughts?

Philly888

This message was modified Mar 29, 2008 by Philly888
Re: Flobeds Posture Zone-on-Point - Talalay Latex Mattress
Reply #8 May 24, 2008 10:55 PM
Posting to bring this up to the top for one of the posters who wanted to read this post about the Flobeds Posture Zone-On-Point Talalay Latex Mattress.
Reply #9 May 25, 2008 1:53 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
How does you mother like the latex pillow and sheets?

Please keep us updated.

I was not planning on buying any sheets, because I was already over-budget, but I was a little worried that my Mom's old sheets wouldn't fit this Flobeds mattress, which would have meant having to run out and buy new sheets on the day I got the mattress. Also, I wanted my Mom to have maximum comfort on her new mattress, and her old sheets are cheap percale or something like that, bought in the days before anyone had ever heard of "thread counts". She might have even gotten the sheets free from a bank or been given them by a relative. Who knows? She couldn't remember buying them. I had read a positive review of the 300TC DreamFit sheets at http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/be-df-sheets.html?id=3 that said they come out of the dryer less wrinkled than most other high thread count sheets, and that after trying a high TC set of sheets most people never want to go back to their old sheets. Lastly, Flobeds offered to throw in the soft standard size latex pillow if I bought the sheets with the mattress. That did it for me.

My Mom loves the sheets. She was worried they might be too satiny, a feel she doesn't like, but these DreamFit sheets have just the right feel - soft and cool but cottony and not like satin. Our only complaint is that they're too generous with the size. The deep pockets of the elastic fitted bottom sheet have to go way under the heavy latex mattress, and that's too hard for my Mom to do. Also, the top sheet is so long that the bottom hangs all the way to the floor, so again there's a lot of material to tuck under the heavy latex mattress. Fortunately she has me to change the sheets for her. It turns out, btw, that her old sheets would fit this 11.25" thick mattress just fine, but so long as she doesn't have to put the DreamFit sheets on the bed herself, she much prefers these high quality sheets. (Next, I'll have to buy her a good new set of flannel sheets for winter. She has a cold bedroom and loves flannel sheets).

The soft latex pillow is super super soft. My Mom decided she prefers her memory foam pillows from QVC and gave it to me. A bit too soft for me, but perfect for cushioniing my left hip when I'm watching TV.

Philly888

This message was modified May 25, 2008 by Philly888
Reply #10 May 26, 2008 12:00 AM
Philly888. I am glad you mother loves the beds and sheets. I also love my beds and sheets. I also love the super soft latex pillow (comes in three softness variations and I chose the softest one) but Dave sent me a Queen and it is too high for me so I am using my Overstock Talalay natural latex pillows that are a tiny bit higher and firmer than I like but are very comfortable to me.  I was going to try out the standard size pillow in soft but I got too busy with tax season.

My sheets fit my bed perfectly and are not too short or too long since I have a Queen Bed and three layers with a topper.

I also love flannel sheets in the winter time.  Thanks for posting the update.

Recent Posts