Do latex mattresses get hot and uncomfortable?
Feb 7, 2010 4:54 PM
Do natural latex mattresses get hot and therefore uncomfortable in summer or when temperatures get hot anytime of any season?
How do you deal with this then?
Thanks so much.
Re: Do latex mattresses get hot and uncomfortable?
Reply #3 Feb 7, 2010 6:24 PM
I think about any type of foam heats up (I have measured about 90 degrees after a few hours).  Some people it bothers, some it does not.  Certain types of memory foam are worse than latex or cooler memory foams (in my opinion).  What you put on top does have an affect as well, but I have not found a miracle cure. Thick wool / cotton / silk padding might mitigate the heat.

The more you sink in the more you will feel the heat.  It is in contact with more of your body, therefore more noticable.

This message was modified Feb 7, 2010 by sandman
Reply #4 Feb 7, 2010 7:04 PM
Right.  Mine is an extra firm Flobeds and I do not use any kind of pad, at the moment.  Just the sheets on top of the zippered mattress cover, which is cotton knit and wool.
Reply #5 Feb 9, 2010 4:29 AM
I think all mattresses can get hot and uncomfortable, especially when the weather is hot or it's winter and you have heat on or a lot of blankets.
I am using a 2" wool pad on the very top (under 2 100% cotton sheets) and that seems to help a lot. But I can still get hot and bothered under the right circumstances...
(Pun intended.) Seriously, though, I think any bed can get too hot. Memory foam is probably worst and latex is probably 2nd worst, but also inner spring beds with synthetic tops and poly foam can get very hot.

The solution seems to be wool and cotton but for some foam in general is just maybe too hot. What do those people do? Maybe they should sleep on a water bed with a thermostat. I slept on waterbeds for years and I loved it back then. Not sure if I'd like it now, or not.
Reply #6 Feb 9, 2010 2:00 PM
i will be interested to hear the answer to this question in july....

there is likely going to be people with latex beds who will experience heat issues, if most of you have not had yours thru a summer, then it will be interesting.

Recent Posts