Deciding between 4 lbs. density vs 5 lbs. memory foam topper to relieve shoulder/hip discomfort
Aug 16, 2014 4:44 AM
It's been a good while since I've posted here! I'm still happy with my talalay latex/spring/high density poly foam combination zippered mattress.

But I notice as I'm getting older, I'm starting to feel pain on my shoulders and hips when I sleep for too long on my side. I constantly have to turn. I also can't sleep on my back for too long or I get lower back pain. I know it's arthritis because I get very stiff from sitting for long periods of time, as well as when I get up from bed in the morning. Extra weight doesn't help, either, I'm sure. :/ So, I was thinking a 2 inch foam topper might help. What do you think of the 5 lbs. vs the 4bs. density? I was also thinking that 3 inches might make me sink in too much. So would a 2 inch suffice? Would you recommend FoamByMail for this? Also, would the 5 lbs. density be soft enough for side sleeping without compromising support? And maybe easier for my lower back? I don't want to sink in too deeply. Any advice and tips will help! Would a 4 lbs. density work fine?

Thanks.

http://www.foambymail.com/V_5/5lb-memory-foam-topper.html
This message was modified Aug 16, 2014 by BeddyBye
Re: Deciding between 4 lbs. density vs 5 lbs. memory foam topper to relieve shoulder/hip discomfort
Reply #1 Aug 16, 2014 5:50 PM
No replies or advice? I'm basically clueless when it comes to density or height of memory foam toppers. Was hoping for some insight from any of you who might know more than me. :) I don't want to order something unless I have a good idea what I'm getting. Initially thought I would get a Comfort Revolution from Costco on sale right now. Reviews weren't that great. But it would be a lot easier to return the vs. FoamByMail. Anywaaaay, let me know what you think!
Re: Deciding between 4 lbs. density vs 5 lbs. memory foam topper to relieve shoulder/hip discomfort
Reply #2 Aug 18, 2014 4:21 PM
BeddyBye wrote:

It's been a good while since I've posted here! I'm still happy with my talalay latex/spring/high density poly foam combination zippered mattress.

But I notice as I'm getting older, I'm starting to feel pain on my shoulders and hips when I sleep for too long on my side. I constantly have to turn. I also can't sleep on my back for too long or I get lower back pain. I know it's arthritis because I get very stiff from sitting for long periods of time, as well as when I get up from bed in the morning. Extra weight doesn't help, either, I'm sure. :/ So, I was thinking a 2 inch foam topper might help. What do you think of the 5 lbs. vs the 4bs. density? I was also thinking that 3 inches might make me sink in too much. So would a 2 inch suffice? Would you recommend FoamByMail for this? Also, would the 5 lbs. density be soft enough for side sleeping without compromising support? And maybe easier for my lower back? I don't want to sink in too deeply. Any advice and tips will help! Would a 4 lbs. density work fine?

Thanks.

http://www.foambymail.com/V_5/5lb-memory-foam-topper.html

BeddyBye.  How old is your current bed?  It is possible that a layer is giving out and not providing the support it once was.  Unfortunately this could also be due to your health conditions so a fix might not be easy.  Since you are generally happy with your current setup minimal changes are in order.  The best situation would be that your top layer has given out and you simply replace that with the same material.  If your setup is new and still in good shape then you will need to add to it or replace.  Mattdud

Recent Posts