Best configuration for sleeping with partner?
Mar 29, 2010 11:59 PM
So, I do love my bed. But it isn't devoid of motion, and apparently my neurotic/anxious self won't allow any motion these days. So I'm trying to figure out how to configure a bed in which i can sleep with my partner (otherwise he's relegated to the other room).

I have the mattress on a platform bed with slats. The slats flex a bit, obviously giving a little motion to the mattress. Is it possible to put a mattress on a platform with slats that don't flex, or on a solid platform, or will any kind of platform add some movement? Is it thus necessary to have totally separate platforms/frames? I was considering cutting the mattress (latex/PU foam) in half, and sleeping side by side on the same platform bed, but this will probably still have some movement. I guess i need a platform with the same amount of motion as the floor (none), but i don't know if this exists. 

If i did cut the mattress, and get two different frames/platforms, maybe i could get a 'bridge' in case we want to join the mattresses together sometimes. But i assume that once i put the bridge on, it will transfer motion from one mattress to another. Correct? This would be once in a while, i guess.

So, it seems that I'll have to sell our beautiful platform bed and get two separate ones, if i'm to have absolutely no motion. Does this sound right, or is there something else I haven't considered? Thanks for any advice you can give a hopelessly neurotic person! ;)

Re: Best configuration for sleeping with partner?
Reply #6 Mar 30, 2010 1:42 PM
Diane, I fully agree! If it comes down to being exhausted vs being awake, I'll sacrifice the sleeping together. And I too have read about lots of couples sleeping apart. Back in the day, you only slept together if you couldn't afford separate quarters!

That said, I'm trying to find an arrangement where i can satisfy my desire to sleep next to him, yet not be disturbed by him. I keep thinking i'll 'grow out of' this sensitivity to motion, but it's been two years now and not much has changed. ;)

Reply #7 Mar 30, 2010 6:21 PM
DianeK wrote:

I married late in life and simply could not adjust to my husband's restless sleeping patterns, so we went with separate beds early on in our marriage and our marriage is doing just fine.  Anytime I wistfully think it would be nice to sleep together I just have to look at his bed in the morning, which looks like a giant egg-beater was taken to it, and then look at mine, where nothing is disturbed except for the dent in my pillow. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum!  It is quite surprising how many couples will admit to sleeping apart once the subject is broached and they don't feel we will judge them for it.  Well rested partners make for good marriages, I say.

Diane

Diane, sounds like your husband sleeps just like my wife! Her blankets and sheets in the morning are just everywhere, it looks like a tornado hit it! And yeah, I'm like you, mine is barely changed, all I have to do usually is just pull everything up in the morning to "make my bed". She never makes hers because she doesn't like to sleep with everything tucked in, etc. I can't even join her in her bed without some maneuvering because I usually want to be covered and there is never even one sheet or blanket that will easily cover me - they're all which-way... surprisefrown

Electracat, I'm not sure why I just assumed you were male. If it's a name that does not sound either fem. or masculine, I just usually assume the person is male, I guess.

To clarify, I think that if you have 2 separate foundations with no springs and just latex, the transfer of motion would be nearly non-existent. Maybe someone who has recently slept this way can comment more authoritatively but as I recall when my wife and I had a King all-latex mattress on the floor, we had no transfer of motion issues. It was the sheets/blanket thing and my wife's kicking, pulling sheets, etc. that made us have to go to separate beds. The latex itself gives virtually no transfer of motion as far as I recall.

And yeah, I think if you have two twin or 2 twin extra-long foundations next to each other, you can fit it all with the same sheets and blankets, even the same King latex layers. Unless you require your sheets to fit super tight, you can probably just buy the "deeper" sheets to get it to fit if necessary. A very firm platform should not provide any transfer of motion, I don't think. Again, I'm just speculating based on what I recall but I'd almost be willing to bet on it. Maybe some latex experts or owners can comment. If it does give you motion transfer then just take an electric carving knife and cut the latex, toppers, etc. down the middle and that should reduce it. Even a 1/2 in between the two mattresses should greatly reduce any motion, without really affecting the fitting of loose sheets or blankets, etc.

Reply #8 Mar 31, 2010 7:20 PM
Yes Jim, our spouses' sleeping patterns are identical.

Diane

Reply #9 Mar 31, 2010 11:37 PM
Right now we have a platform bed with slats that flex a little.  Can i change our current bed to be more motionless, i.e. replacing slats with a solid piece of wood, or replacing the slats themselves? I guess i'd have to check with my boyfriend, since i'm not very good with building, etc.

And if that didn't work, we'd get separate beds. Or maybe i can slice the bed down the middle, like with the mattress layers? ;)

Reply #10 Apr 1, 2010 9:34 AM
"Or maybe i can slice the bed down the middle"

I'm picturing electracat with big grin on her face while holding a chainsaw above the bed!   hahaha  devil

This message was modified Apr 1, 2010 by markbnh1
Reply #11 Apr 1, 2010 11:56 AM
Haha! I would SO be grinning! ;) 

And, i guess the electric knife just wouldn't be enough for this job, huh? ;)

Reply #12 Apr 1, 2010 3:27 PM
electracat wrote:

Right now we have a platform bed with slats that flex a little.  Can i change our current bed to be more motionless, i.e. replacing slats with a solid piece of wood, or replacing the slats themselves? I guess i'd have to check with my boyfriend, since i'm not very good with building, etc.

And if that didn't work, we'd get separate beds. Or maybe i can slice the bed down the middle, like with the mattress layers? ;)

If you gave a picture of the foundation we might be able to answer that. I myself am not a carpenter but my guess is that you might be able to make it more solid and firm by adding wooden slats somehow - depending on how it's put together, that might be possible, or not. Adding harder wood slats to it or putting more across it or something...?

Using the same foundation MIGHT be okay, if you can make it stable enough so it doesn't bounce or move in normal sleep. You might try just putting the latex on the floor and see how that works. If that works out okay, then you can look into making your foundation more stable or buying a super stable one. OR, just buy 2 twin box springs - get the kind that are made from all wood, with no springs - and put those right next to each other with your King(?) mattress (I have forgotten what you have) on top of that.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #13 Apr 1, 2010 3:50 PM
Jim,

thank you for the suggestions. We're going to play around with some things, and i'll let you know how it goes!

I have one more question: If we slice the mattress layers (pu foam and one top latex layer) in half, is it possible to glue them back together someday if we wished? 

I really should have been born into royalty, back in the days of separate quarters...;)

thanks!

e-cat

Reply #14 Apr 1, 2010 6:38 PM
electracat wrote:

Jim,

thank you for the suggestions. We're going to play around with some things, and i'll let you know how it goes!

I have one more question: If we slice the mattress layers (pu foam and one top latex layer) in half, is it possible to glue them back together someday if we wished? 

I really should have been born into royalty, back in the days of separate quarters...;)

thanks!

e-cat

Yeah, you can glue them back. If you need to, I'll look up the name of my spray glue that I got from a memory foam place. It works for latex too. Or maybe Budgy can tell us the best kind (?)...

But I have my mattress even divided into 1/3's, for the shoulders, hips and legs, and even those don't drift apart if you just put them together, they tend to stay together (without glue).

I'd try putting the latex on the floor first. I think the transfer of motion comes more from the foundation than from the foam/latex.

Another idea I have is, let's say you buy 2 twin foundations - either box springs with wood as I mentioned or regular all-wood "platform" type foundations with slats. Start out by putting them about 1/2" apart just to stop the transfer of motion from the foundations. Then put the King foam over those, without cutting them. See if that works. If that doesn't work, then cut them in half to make 2 twins or extra long twins or whatever.

Reply #15 Apr 1, 2010 9:34 PM
Thanks! So glad to have your suggestions. :)

Recent Posts