Beckley question
Sep 11, 2007 4:55 PM
I wanted to know if anyone on the Forum has tried out the Beckley Lambs Wool mattress.I know a couple of people own the Bristol and thought it was a very firm mattress that needed a topper for more comfort.I specifically want to know the difference in firmness of the Lambs wool VS the horsehair.Jeff
This message was modified Sep 11, 2007 by JCturboT
Re: Beckley question
Reply #5 Sep 16, 2007 4:00 PM
I happened to catch a Martha Stewart episode this week where she was introducing her new line of linens for Macy's and showing people how to make a bed.  She said you start with a really good mattress and box spring and she had the Beckley there - this is where I first heard of Beckley, on Martha's website - and she proceeded to dress the bed.  She said this was a very firm bed and that she always put a mattress pad on it - what she showed looked quite thick and plush, and then her "secret" was to put on a thick feather bed.....she said you needed to fluff this up about once a month - my house - every night!  Memory foam is working much better on that front........It was quite interresting though and fun to hear the Beckley mentioned.             Oh, she also said the box spring absolutely must be covered - ah martha you'd be disappointed at my house - that little box spring peeks out a bit from the sleigh bed  --- whoops!
Reply #6 Sep 16, 2007 5:46 PM
Agguh, ConfusedBedbug, I can't believe I missed Martha's Beckley bed making demo. Fortunately I found the video on her program web site (Set. 13). :o)
Reply #7 Sep 16, 2007 7:51 PM
Click on Thursday Sept 13 show http://www.marthastewart.com
This message was modified Sep 16, 2007 by JCturboT
Reply #8 Sep 17, 2007 12:53 PM
Hi there.  We bought the Beckley Bristol, and put their own down topper over it.  My backaches are gone, but we also found the mattress, even with their down topper to be a bit too firm on our joints.  We shopped, and also bought the 4 lb 2 " memory foam from Healthy Foundations. (same as bedbug.)  We like it very much, though I am still experimenting with my pillow situation, as we sink a bit more into the bed.  I have a question for all of you though.  After watching the Martha video- what sort of think cover could I put on the down topper that is not ornate, and will just fit over it, as it sheds a bunch of down each time it is moved?  Right now we have our main mattress cover over the down topper, which is over the bare memory foam , and then the mattress, and box springs.  I know if the down topper didn't shed as much, I would fluff it up more often.  Suggestions for a cover?

Thanks
Reply #9 Sep 17, 2007 1:46 PM
HOw about a duvet cover of some sort?  Of if you are handy, sheets sewn together to just fit with a velcro or zippered opening so you can remove it when you want to?
Reply #10 Sep 18, 2007 10:22 AM
I just took delivery of a firm Bristol queen with matching boxspring this past week.  I echo the comments of others here as I am quite surprised at the firmness.  Way too firm for a comfortable sleeping platform if you ask me. 

I am investigating different options for toppers.  The firm mattress does seem like it will be a great platform to build on but I must express my disappointment as I was not hoping to put a topper on at all.

Different options that have been recommended to me are the Hastens toppers, which need to be fluffed or tuffed every couple of weeks, or maybe a 2/3", 19ILD latex topper.  Any suggestions from others would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply #11 Sep 18, 2007 10:41 AM
goskers,
We have tried several topper options for our Beckley.  In our search for a good mattress we bought several toppers along the way.  We have tried them all in different combinations on the Beckley.  We have combined a latex topper with a memory foam topper underneath the Hastens topper.  That we too soft.  We have tried the latex topper under the Hastens and without the Hastens.  That was not soft enough, and latex does not agree with me.  The two best combos were the two inch memory foam topper on the mattress and memory foam topper under the Hastens, which is the one we have chosen to keep.  Just this morning I didn't want to get out of bed because I was so comfortable.  When the Hastens topper is newly fluffed the bed is grand.  I could sleep comfortably on this mattress with just the memory foam topper on it, but we are memory foam fans.
Reply #12 Sep 18, 2007 1:26 PM
Beachlover,

I have spoken with a couple Hastens dealers regarding toppers and both have recommended a 3" latex with an ILD of 19.  Speaking with FSF, they don't recommend their soft (ILD 20-22) topper but rather the medium one.  I would love to go with just one topper as this could get really expensive really fast.  Of course, at the end of the day we are all searching for a great, repeatable sleep which will be different for everyone. 

Being able to stay away from the Hastens BJX topper would be great as that is 1350 alone.
Reply #13 Sep 18, 2007 2:27 PM
goskers, I am not absolutely sure we would purchase the Hastens topper if we had it to do all over again, but I won't give it up, either.  We never tried three inches of Memory foam or latex on the mattress.  There is a  3 inch Sensus topper waiting in a closet if we do want to try.  I don't know what latex ild would work the best for your situation, but if it were me (and I could sleep on latex) I would go with the higher ild.  The Hastens is a firm topper and adds a feeling that is very unique.  It does cut down on the temperature response of the memory foam topper.  I believe you will be able to find the right comfort on your Beckley without having to purchase the Hastens topper.
Reply #14 Sep 18, 2007 6:51 PM
Hmmmm...I don't think I've seen one review on the Forum (either new or old) that stated that the Beckley Bristol was just right,just the opposite.I really didn't want a topper on a mattress but it seems like it's a requirement for this mattress.Jeff

Recent Posts