Any feedback appreciated on Tempur-pedic Rhapsody
Jan 29, 2010 6:44 PM
I now have a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and it's not working for me. It was great for all of one week out the month I've had it, but now feels very hard do to what I think is its compression under the hip area. 

I am 5'6", weigh 128lbs and have fibromyalgia and I have bursitis in my hips. I wake up constantly during the night with hips numb and burning and in pain. I have already tried an Englander Nature's Finest latex and found it way to hard and had the same hip problems I have on the Cloud.

My Cloud review http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/tempurpedic-cloud-mattress/8050-A-1.html

I am considering a TP Rhapsody as the foam density is 7.0 vs the Cloud Supreme's 4.1.

Does anyone have the Rhapsody? Or has anyone owned and returned it? If so, please post your opinions

Your input is SOOO greatly appreciated.

Thank you for such a great forum,
Natalie
This message was modified Jan 29, 2010 by Natalia
Re: Any feedback appreciated on Tempur-pedic Rhapsody
Reply #3 Jan 30, 2010 2:02 PM
Tempur-Pedic is supposed to be an open cell foam (not the base layers).  That being said yeah, they definitely have a break in period. 

Soy based foam being organic?  I thought the highest soy content being used in any foam is around 30%. 
Reply #4 Jan 30, 2010 2:30 PM
Before I got my current bed, I too had horrible hip pain and experienced the same excruciating pain and burning/numb hip sensations you have described.  I tried the Rhapsody for extended times in various dealerships, and I liked it, but I didn't have all night experience for several weeks, like you would need to know whether it would help relieve pressure points.

I ended up getting a 100% latex mattress (NOT one of the so-called "latex" mattresses from the S companies) and it has almost completely eliminated my hip pain.  I only occasionally have hip pain at night now, and when I get it it is nowhere near the excruciating experience it used to be.  More like an occasional twinge . . .

SO, if you have not tried latex, I encourage you to do so.  It seems to help a lot of us who suffer from back and hip pain.  The latex will conform to your body and relieve pressure points (you won't "sink in" like you do with memory foam though).

Some companies that sell latex mattresses:

Sleepez
Saavy Rest
Flobeds (this is where I got my bed - love it)
Sleeplikeabear

and there are more. . .

If you do decide to explore latex, be sure you go with a company that has a liberal exchange/return policy.  Latex comes in many different firmness levels, so be sure to talk with a professional about your situation - your height, weight, preferred sleeping position, your medical and pain issues, so that they can help advise you about the right firmness to get.
Reply #5 Feb 6, 2010 3:03 AM
SleepingGreen wrote:
Natalie,

when you first received the mattress....did you "break it In"...and what I mean by that is...did you jump on the mattress for about 10 minutes.  Tempurpedic has a closed cell structure and needs to be broken in very well before the foam can do its job of cushioning your pressure areas.  When I sold Tempurpedic...it was my advice to the client to have their kids jump on the mattress for a while with just their socks on to get it broken in for sleep.  If it is still too hard ...do not get the Rhapsody...that 7.0 means that it has a denser foam construction and will be firmer...the rhapsody has HD foam in it to make it one of the firmer of the Tempurpedic lineup.

I currently sale Strobel Mattresses...they feel like Tempurpedic but are made out of Polyfilax Soy and are a healthier choice because the are Organic.

I hope this helps,

I went to the mattress store today and talked to who seemed like a very TP knowledgeable salesman. He asked me if I had ever actually walked on it Charlie Chaplin style and promised me that if I did that every day over the next few weeks, it would break in the second layer... the 5.3lb. support layer directly below the 4.1lb softer top layer.

He also told me that at my weight and height (128 lbs., 5’ 7”), and with my fibromyalgia and hip problems, the Rhapsody would be too firm due to the 7lb upper layer. Basically, I would have a harder time breaking that one down to get the softness heavier people, or people who sleep with partners  achieve. But if the Cloud doesn’t work out, the Deluxe might be a choice, or the Simmons Nxg.

I came home and  walked on the Cloud for about 10 minutes. I'll try it every day and see if it softens up like the salesman said. I gotta say it’s quite the workout for your thighs... it could definitely replace a gym membership
This message was modified Feb 6, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #6 Feb 6, 2010 3:14 AM
KimberlyH wrote:
Before I got my current bed, I too had horrible hip pain and experienced the same excruciating pain and burning/numb hip sensations you have described.  I tried the Rhapsody for extended times in various dealerships, and I liked it, but I didn't have all night experience for several weeks, like you would need to know whether it would help relieve pressure points.

I ended up getting a 100% latex mattress (NOT one of the so-called "latex" mattresses from the S companies) and it has almost completely eliminated my hip pain.  I only occasionally have hip pain at night now, and when I get it it is nowhere near the excruciating experience it used to be.  More like an occasional twinge . . .

SO, if you have not tried latex, I encourage you to do so.  It seems to help a lot of us who suffer from back and hip pain.  The latex will conform to your body and relieve pressure points (you won't "sink in" like you do with memory foam though).

Some companies that sell latex mattresses:

Sleepez
Saavy Rest
Flobeds (this is where I got my bed - love it)
Sleeplikeabear

and there are more. . .

If you do decide to explore latex, be sure you go with a company that has a liberal exchange/return policy.  Latex comes in many different firmness levels, so be sure to talk with a professional about your situation - your height, weight, preferred sleeping position, your medical and pain issues, so that they can help advise you about the right firmness to get.

Thanks KimberlyH. I have had latex beds in the past. Both were Englander. The first I loved and it lasted 17 yrs, but as I got older and sicker it became painful. I thought it was because it was old, and purchased a new one. It was a Nature's Finest Latex Plush. It was so hard and painful, I couldn't tolerate it.
Reply #7 Feb 6, 2010 6:59 PM
I have the same problem with BOTH mem and latex. Pain and numbness is my hands and sides and it hurts like i would never believe a mattress couild do. I thought I was nuts till I started reading stuff on here. Ah ha! I am not nuts and it's happening to others. I had great sleep on firm foam on top of my Areo bed. I will do it again tonight, God willing. Can I say it loud enough::::::::no pain or numbness on a firm piece of foam, not mem or any type of latex.

Recent Posts