Is a 1" Dunlop Topper really thick enought to help?
Sep 22, 2015 10:32 AM
I just bought a new Simmons firm Queen mattress, box spring and 7 leg frame. I am an 80 year old male, 6', 215 lbs and a side sleeper. The mattress is too firm for me, so I am bought a 2" memory foam topper from Macy's. After 3 weeks, the topper is way too hot for comfortable sleeping, and I awake each morning with lower back pain. I toss and turn almost every hour. It seems like the memory foam topper is sagging.....after 3 weeks? This combination is not working for me.

I saw this recommendation somewhere on this site. "Speaking from experience with a bad back and combination side and back sleeper, you want as little soft layer as possible, so that your body almost "bottoms" out of the comfort layer, so there is resistance support, to be best for your back. www.Foambymail.com has the cheapest Queen 20 ILD latex topper (their softest, start with that) which is $98 shipping included. No return. I recommend starting with one of those....you can see if 1 inch works"

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but, is a 1" Dunlop latex topper really thick enough to help me with my problem?
Re: Is a 1" Dunlop Topper really thick enought to help?
Reply #2 Sep 29, 2015 7:51 AM
Thanks for rthe suggestion. I can not afford to play the trial and error game. I could get a Mattress Pad like this: Extra Plush Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper -Queen Pad found here: http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Bamboo-Fitted-Mattress-Topper/dp/B008URGSWO/ref=sr_1_14?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1443527201&sr=1-14&keywords=mattress+pad

Or go to a 2" Dunlop Topper like this: Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Soft - 2" Queen Size:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Natural-Latex-Mattress-Topper/dp/B00UYG8F7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443526710&sr=8-2&keywords=2%22+latex+topper

The issues with ,my back are more important that with my shoulder. I can not sleep on my back, but just laying on my new bed and memory foam for 20 minutes or so hurts my back.

Quote:

Jostarr.  It is unlikely that your new memory foam topper is sagging.  It might be that it is of very low density and is providing no support.  Since you are sleeping hot and have lower back issues getting rid of the memory foam is a good idea.  The problem with shoulder and lower back problems is they fight against one another.  Shoulders in general prefer softer and lower backs prefer firmer.  Going with a 2" latex topper might be a good idea as it will help the heat issue somewhat but it may or may not help with the lower back.  Before doing this you should add some more fabric to the top of your mattress, remove a blanket on top and start using a pillow between your knees.  Let us know how that goes.  Mattdud

Re: Is a 1" Dunlop Topper really thick enought to help?
Reply #3 Oct 6, 2015 11:39 AM
Jostarr.  The 2" topper sounds good but you will be playing a trial and error game.  Hopefully you have success.  Don't forget the effectiveness of a pillow between your knees.  Mattdud

Recent Posts