"The Original Mattress Factory" store experience :-)
Sep 2, 2010 11:02 AM
I finally made my jaunt to the nearest OMF store and tried the various models.  The executive summary:    They beat the pants off everyone else in this region on price and construction.

Their innersprings are new, not recycled, and made by Leggett & Platt.  I believe that the "custom" innerspring for the orthopedic series is also L&P but I forgot to specifically ask.   Their delivery charge is what I called "zoned", meaning it goes up the further they have to go from the warehouse or store.

YMMV, but the three that I liked best, in order:

Orthopedic Ultra Firm.   I'd probably pay the $20 for the extra edge foam cylinders for stiffening, just because I plan on using the mattress a good number of years.   The orthos have the extra slat(s) and thus more springs in the box spring, have heavier gauge coils, and the longest warranty.    EDITED @ 6:30 PM EST:  I went back and tried the Imperial 640, and it definitely feels softer than the OMF Ortho Ultra Firm.  And it's based on a 900-something individually wrapped coil system, kind of like what Leggett & Platt calls Marshall Coil:  END EDIT.   The Ultra Firm mattress set on the floor at OMF's store might have been there a while and might have softened up.   The Imperial #640 set is priced at $1100 queen,  and this OMF set is only $779.   (If you choose the less firm ones, the price is more like $662, I believe, without looking it up.)   It's possible that the OMF set had been on the floor a long time and had softened up.  No contest, unless the local store wants to drop the Imperial's price down to $780 or $800 to essentially price-match OMF.   An an added note, I was able to confirm that the OMF set that I tried in real life and thought was the best thing I'd ever slept on is definitely an OFM Orthopedic Ultra Firm.  And the 400 lb. friend also has OMF Ortho Ultra Firm and his has the extra foam cylinders edge.     The store had the floor model queen size set for sale for $662.

Silhouette Plush, the one sided model with the "Plush" foam top:    Yeah, I know, I was surprised, too.  :-)  The store only had a twin size in this model, so maybe a queen would actually have felt much softer, but there's no way to tell.   As tried in the store, I liked this one as runner-up.  This model uses the Lura-Flex spring, which I think has too much sway in it for me and feels too soft.   But when they stuck a good bit of foam on the top, it really dampens all of that sway and also stiffens the feel.   I have no idea how this model will hold up long term.   But if you want that "hotel bed" feel on a shoestring budget, check out this one.  As far as I know, the Lura-Flex spring has been around for a long time and it's been and continues to be a big seller to ordinary consumers who want a softer spring.   As I said, I don't like a Lura-Flex as a rule, but pile some PU foam on it, and I'd give it a try if I had a limited budget.    I really like this one in twin, but feared it might soften up too much by the time it's widened to queen.   $549 set, queen

Classic, the good old 13 gauge Bonnell:   Say what you want, but I still think that a good stiff Bonnell spring makes a good bed.  You could add foam toppers to this and tune it your way.  $379 set price , queen.

So, there are my picks.   I tried the other orthos, but didn't really like any of them.   I hate pillow tops.  I hate Eurotops,  I hated the latex.    The Regency, I really thought might be my thing because many people seem to think it's firm.  But it's what I consider "soft," and I now know to go for stiffer springs in a mattress with little foam.    So, if I were buying today for long term use, I'd probably pick the Orthopedic Ultra Firm. 

Split box spring is $50 extra.

This message was modified Sep 2, 2010 by TC2334
Re: "The Original Mattress Factory" store experience :-)
Reply #1 Sep 2, 2010 6:53 PM
I edited the previous post after I went back and tried the Imperial 640 again today.   The 640 actually does feel quite plush compared to the OMF Orthopedic Ultra Firm and Extra Firm.  And the Imperial TemperCoil is an individually wrapped coil similar to what L&P calls a Marshall Coil.

Recent Posts