Nervous about new mattress purchase...Any input on Original Mattress Factory mattresses?
Jun 7, 2009 9:16 PM
After having bought and rejected two mattresses in a two-month period (one was memory foam, the other, an iCoil innerspring), I think I've finally found my perfect mattress...with reservations. Here is my bittersweet tale: I visited the Original Mattress Factory with every intention of purchasing a low-end offset coil model with very little padding so that I could have the option of using toppers to create a customizable and easily replaceable comfort layer. I was torn between the Regency and the Orthopedic Extra Firm. While weighing the relative advantages and disadvantages of each, I walked around the showroom, flopping down indiscriminately on one mattress, then another (all I can say is <i>thank god</i> the Orthopedic Euro Top was out of my price range, because it is seriously like being enveloped in the most comfortably supportive substance on earth...and all that super soft padding is just one big body depression nightmare waiting to happen, I'm sure), and then I flopped down on the Orthopedic Ultra Plush. What a dream! It felt like floating on a cloud...a cloud that promises not to cause back pain. Thick cotton batting topped with three layers of varying densities and constructions of poly foam (4" total foam) topped with a pillowy damask cover, over 12.75 gauge knotted offset coils (6 turns). I swear it was made just for me, or at least that's my (admittedly weak) justification for ditching my well-reasoned plan to purchase a model with little foam.

Am I going to regret this? I even prefer the Ultra Plush to the two latex models they have (which is really saying something since both latex mattresses were heavenly in their own way). Does anyone own a mid-range (in-between the basic and pillowtop) OMF mattress that's a couple of years old or older? Do they hold up well? They seem to have a reputation for producing durable, high-quality mattresses, but I still can't shake the fear that 4" of poly foam will break down in no time flat.

My mattress arrives Wednesday.
This message was modified Jun 7, 2009 by Zzzzzzzspleaze
Re: Nervous about new mattress purchase...Any input on Original Mattress Factory mattresses?
Reply #9 Jul 4, 2009 1:18 PM
Marybeth wrote:
Another person falls in love with Original Mattress Factory beds....!  I too had the same experience in May when I felt like Goldilocks.when I tried every bed in the store. I too loved those latex beds, but they were way out of my  price line.  I was torn between the Legacy firm and the Ortho firm.  I ultimately wound up the the Ortho ultra firm, with no &quot;topper&quot; or foam on top.  Boy, after 6 weeks, I do regret not getting the bed with a topper built it.  My bed is extremely firm and I am in pain every night.  I purchased a foam &quot;eggcrate&quot; topper a few weeks ago, but it just made the pain worse.  I have had back surgery, and thought I needed the hardest mattess out there...I should have stuck with the Legacy...but, too much &quot;testing&quot; of all those beds made me second guess myself.  I love their quality, honesty and value, and laid-back salesmen, and the pricing.  Plus all the cut-away's really let you see what a rip off the other name brand models are.  I didn't think you could exchange a mattress once you had it, like a previous writer said.  My next step is to order a feather bed to see if that gives me more comfort sleeping.  I got exactly what I wanted though, a hard mattress.  I do hope you continue to enjoy your ortho plush bed and continue having sweet dreams.  Wish I had purchased that model!

There's an exchange fee of 25%, and you can only make one exchange, so that's something to bear in mind. Mattress shopping is enough to drive you bonkers, isn't it? I swear it's worse than shopping for a new car. I think I bypassed Goldilocks Syndrome and went straight to Princess and the Pea Syndrome.

A word of caution about feather beds: they're hard. It's doubtful that you're going to get much, if any, relief from one. I would look into memory foam or latex toppers. Sleeplikeabear.com is really great about sending out latex samples. There's tons of good info in the archives regarding toppers, so I'd take advantage of that before reaching any decisions.

Good luck!
Re: Nervous about new mattress purchase...Any input on Original Mattress Factory mattresses?
Reply #10 Jul 5, 2009 2:00 AM
We currently have 3 omf beds in our house. I still like the extra firm over the ultra firm, because the ultra is too much like a board. Most people will do well with a topper.  Darcidoll, read the many posts on having lots of foam in the mattresses before you take delivery of it. There is a concensus that putting foam on top of a mattress is better than buying it inside of it. 
Reply #11 Jul 5, 2009 6:41 PM
Sorry about your lower back- that is scary as my husband has lower back issues.. but I think the deal is everyone is different.
Also it DOES take time to 'break in ' a bed as well.
-Glad to hear that there is a minimum of movement
however. that seemed to be the case when we were jumping on beds in the store.
I wanted to get 2 twin beds and put them on a king frame- my husband is a "romantic" and wanted one bed so we were able to agree on this
Ortho.Ultra Plush one.

OH well- I am hoping I don't get rousted up when he gets up for headaches and such in the middle of the night..
.. good luck with the cat- they are something.
We have a miniature poodle and he sleeps outside the bedroom on a cute bed.. he snores really loud
so there was no choice. Sinus problems.  In a dog !!

.. I have used "memory foam" pads on beds before- in fact I am using a double  "egg crate"now.
These really help. You  can also use them with a mattress pad cover and that will help.

Thanks for the quick response- we get the bed on Tues. the 7th.. will keep you all in the loop.

Reply #12 Jul 6, 2009 2:20 PM
Your bed sounds almost exactly like the bed I had made last November.   I had some trouble with the bed being too firm for my shoulders when we got it, took a long while for it to get super comfy.  I bought a mattress topper that is filled with poly-fiber(sort of a down-comforter type thing...probably much like a Cuddlebed) and use that...shoulder problem solved!  Now I am super comfy.  I don't know why the foam does this...but 4" of qualtiy P/U foam, even if soft, seems hard to sleep on at first.  I love my offset coils(sound exactly like yours), the cotton batting, everything.  Oh, and the box spring has actual springs too. 
I have to remember to do my low back stretch a couple times a week(described on other posts) which is a huge part of my low back pain issue...but I don't wake up feeling sore and tight anymore.  Mattress is great!
Kait
Reply #13 Jul 7, 2009 11:55 PM
<BR> darcidoll wrote:
Sorry about your lower back- that is scary as my husband has lower back issues.. but I think the deal is everyone is different.
<BR>I agree. It seems like I need a virtually weightless kind of support (which is why I'm leaning towards memory foam now), but some people need a little firmness beneath their backs.<BR><BR>My dog sleeps outside of the bedroom, too, but it's because she's large and my bedroom is on the small side. Her bed is actually composed of all the mattress toppers I've rejected over the years, so there's no way that was going to fit, either. :-) <BR><BR>
This message was modified Jul 7, 2009 by Zzzzzzzspleaze
Reply #14 Jul 8, 2009 12:16 AM
Kait wrote:
Your bed sounds almost exactly like the bed I had made last November.   I had some trouble with the bed being too firm for my shoulders when we got it, took a long while for it to get super comfy.  I bought a mattress topper that is filled with poly-fiber(sort of a down-comforter type thing...probably much like a Cuddlebed) and use that...shoulder problem solved!  Now I am super comfy.  I don't know why the foam does this...but 4&quot; of qualtiy P/U foam, even if soft, seems hard to sleep on at first.  I love my offset coils(sound exactly like yours), the cotton batting, everything.  Oh, and the box spring has actual springs too.  <BR>I have to remember to do my low back stretch a couple times a week(described on other posts) which is a huge part of my low back pain issue...but I don't wake up feeling sore and tight anymore.  Mattress is great!<BR>Kait

I guess that means the foam in my mattress is the good stuff (right now I'd take the poorer quality stuff if it meant having a soft bed :-P). I'm glad your mattress is working out for you. I think I've come to the conclusion that I need less foam, and softer foam. If I add the cuddlebed, I lose all support, so I think I would probably fare better being closer to the springs. I think I'm going to try the ortho extra firm (one measly inch of PU foam) with the cuddlebed over it, and 2" of Sensus memory foam on top. If that isn't enough cushion, of if I decide to go with all memory foam, I'm thinking of adding 1" of Venus memory foam.

I've got to hit on a winning combination one of these days...or so I keep telling myself.

I think I saw your stretch in a different thread; I'll have to look for it again. I've been meaning to get into yoga...I even have a yoga DVD with moves designed specifically to work the spine. I just need to muster the motivation. :-P
Reply #15 Jul 9, 2009 9:18 PM
Yeah, it seems that the good foam just doesn't get soft very quickly.   I did go through months of not happy because if it.  Seems better now. 
I bought a bed for my daughter(stomach sleeper) that was basic springs, cotton batting, and a teensy bit of foam from the same bedmaker.  It is now at my mother's, and I put a cuddlebed thing on top of that.  She seems to like it fine.  I wish it was here so I could compare. 
The bedmaker told me to do several things to soften the foam(he seemed to think it was also the glues and bed cover being very tight).  One was to walk on it with bare feet and twist my feet around on the bed.  The other, believe it or not, was to jump on the bed.  My goodness, that was tiring!  I don't know that it changed anything.
The stretch is simple, and easy.  Sit indian style on the floor, then pick up your right foot and put it on the other side of your left thigh, closer to the knee.  Then hug the raised knee to your chest slowly.  You will feel a pull across your buttocks region, possibly into your low back, and often down the outside of the leg.  I think this is sciatica.  When I went to a masseuse I was told that this can get tight and people hold tension there.  I also get that way from riding horses.  Anyway, it feels really good and does help with low back pain.  Pretty simple and easy, if you remember!
Good luck,
Kait
Reply #16 Jul 28, 2009 8:53 AM
-- Update on my mattress the Ultra Plush- Orth. from Original Mattress Factory.. my husband loves it ! I am getting "used " to it although I
think I am back with the memory foam pads. at least on my side of the bed as I just like a
more cushioned bed. The jury is still out after 2 weeks.
I agree with earlier poster that it isn't as cushy as the one in the store..
however, I am not trading it in. It has great support and is a great bed overall.

I had a friend visit from Florida who told me she bought all of their family beds there when she lived in Ohio and regretted that
OMF beds are not sold there.
All in all a reasonably happy ending.
I am ok  with the bed and would certainly refer this store for a reasonably priced  quality product.

Happy Sleeping !
Reply #17 Jul 28, 2009 4:02 PM
Regarding your post on being still in the process of "breaking" in you OMF mattress:  I have had mine now for about 2 and 1/2 months, and am STILL trying to break it in.  You are so right about the ones in the store being so much more comfortable....and customers don't spend 8 hours a day on every bed!...Makes me wonder....

I do love the support and quality of the Ortho. extra firm I purchased, but have had to add a fiber bed to "soften" it up.  And that has been working out.  Amazing how we find ourselves buying a bed, at a considerable expense, and then paying more to doctor it up once we get it home. Good luck and keep us posted as to your success and hope you sleep better.
Reply #18 Jul 28, 2009 8:01 PM
Zzzzzzzspleaze wrote:
I do think the OMF mattresses are of exceptionally good quality for the price and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another mattress from them in the future. This particular one, the ortho ultra plush, just isn't working out for my lower back, unfortunately. It's firmer than the show room model and would probably get to show room condition given a few additional months or so, but I've since decided that I'm going to exchange it for the ortho extra firm (most likely) and put a memory foam topper on it. If I can find a way to incorporate my Costco Cuddlebed, even better (I love the cuddlebed, but it adds too much loft to this mattress).

I've crunched my tailbone a couple of times in the past and am feeling the effects of that now, so my lower back is extremely fussy when it comes to mattresses. The average person who likes a plushy sleeping surface would love the ortho ultra plush, I think, after it's been broken in a little. It reminds me of a really comfortable sofa with thick upholstery. It's softening up quickly in the center now since that's primarily where I sleep. I hardly ever sleep near the left edge and so there's this funny phenomenon going on where if I roll closer to the left side, it feels like I'm laying on an slight incline. I first slept with it directly on a metal frame and there is absolutely a difference when box springs are added. It felt a little firmer when first placed on the box springs, but it's much better now. If anything, I can attest that the ortho box springs offer additional support.

Even though I tend to wake up with a little ache in my lower back (and I really believe this is because of my particular back problems), I really look forward to crawling into bed at night because it is just is that cozy. I think you'll be very happy with it. :-) Please come back and share your experience after you've had a chance to sleep on it.

Dear zzzzzzzzzzpleazzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just was wondering whether you did exchange your OMF for the extra firm model  And was there any hassle from the store if you did.  Is it working out any better?

Recent Posts