KLUFT = TERRIBLE MATTRESS & BLOOMINGDALE'S = WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE
May 27, 2015 2:17 PM
Here is what to expect from a Kluft mattress, sold by Bloomingdale's: My husband and I both have touchy lower backs and were in the market for the best mattress we could find. We knew it would be an investment. After some research we came upon the Kluft brand, manufactured in the USA and sold by Bloomingdale's. The price of the mattress we wanted, a California King, had been reduced from around $10,000 to $5,000 as part of a special promotion. (Perhaps this should have tipped us off.) It was so comfortable when we tried it out in the store and when we got it home we felt like we were sleeping on clouds. Until about one year passed. At first, the mattress began to sag ever so slightly. When I'd asked a sales person about this possibility in the store I was told the mattress would spring-back into its original shape after each night. I believed him and when I saw what was happening to our beautiful, expensive mattress, I was first in denial, then in shock. Fast-forward three years: my husband and I are literally sleeping in troughs, one on either side of the bed, with a giant lump in the middle. How could this expensive, handcrafted mattress, supposedly backed by its dedicated manufacturers have such serious problems? (I will never know because though I contacted Kluft directly, they simply did not respond). The mattress did not spring back. It is worse than any bargain mattress I have ever owned. But the worst part of this ordeal is that Bloomingdale's has in every way possible given us the brush off. The mattress is supposed to have a 5 year comfort guarantee. When I called initially I was told that a mattress inspector would be visiting our home (we live 5 hours from the Bloomingdale's where it was purchased) to assess the situation. Email from Bloomingdale's followed. Ten days or so later we received notice that the mattress inspector had been contacted. More days passed, no final confirmation. When I inquired again I was told via email: "sorry, there are no mattress inspectors in your area... call Macy's customer service to resolve the issue." I spent over an hour of my workday on the phone with the Macy's rep who informed me that the mattress has been discontinued since we bought it. (No, really? Not only that, but HER screen said that the inspection had been completed!) So she put me on hold while she supposedly called the mattress inspectors herself. I waited. And waited. Ten minutes went by and then she was gone. So I started all over again, with someone who was in a different department and put me on hold for 30 more minutes. I was rerouted and had to explain the whole thing to another person who put me on hold for another 20 mins and then told me I needed to take photos and send them to Bloomingdales and Macy's. You get the picture. Everyone I've spoken to on the phone has clearly been traied to be perfectly polite but when it comes to actual follow through, well... I will now take photos of the bed and follow up with how this all turns out. In the meantime, WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND STAYING AWAY FROM BLOOMINGDALES for large purchases (I'll be cancelling my store credit card) AND DEFINITELY NOT INVESTING IN A KLUFT MATTRESS. More to follow.
This message was modified Nov 7, 2019 by a moderator
Re: KLUFT = TERRIBLE MATTRESS & BLOOMINGDALE'S = WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE
Reply #1 Jun 2, 2015 3:13 PM
Bookworm.  Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  High dollars does not necessarily equal high quality all the time.  Many people here have found a great bed for 1/5 what you spent.  If you get to the point where you are going to throw the mattress away you might want to consider mattress surgery since the guts are probably very good on that bed.  Mattdud

Recent Posts