Hello again. Glad to see this forum still here. Have a question or two.
Mar 1, 2014 12:18 PM
I was hot on the trail of finding out about mattresses several years ago and somehow found this site. I was an active member here for a year or two. Was very happy this was here as it was the only thing I could find that was objective in any way to discuss and learn about mattresses, foam, etc. After about 6 mos of learning, I pulled the trigger and bought a mattress and topper from foam by mail.  A king size regular firmness 6" latex core, and a 2" osft firmness latex topper. This was a compromise at the time as my wife is a side sleeper and me more of a stomach sleeper.       The mattress has done well over 6 years and really doesn't feel any different than it did when it was new. At least I can't detect any difference. I put this on top of 2 regular twin sized box springs made to 5".... the whole setup was right at $1000 in 2008. I took a bunch of pictures as I was setting it up as no one had done that up till that point in time, and I wanted to show other people what this looked like coming out of the box, being setup  etc.. I just notice today the picture hosting service seems to have lost some of the pics from my post. just emailed them to see if they could find...   

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-foambymail-8-latex-mattress-actual-setup-pictures/9029-0-1.html

For me, I had no problems with FBM. Others here said to stay away, many like me thought they were fine. What I was interested in was the actual performance of the mattress.
And not whether it was 'pretty' foam. I wanted the best price I could get for a decent genuine product.

I'd like to recreate something like this in another area of my house. 
Would like a touch firmer base than I have now. I think the original core from FBM was 29 and the topper was 20.
What foam could I use (not latex as the core) to get something just a touch firmer?
Has anyone here tried to put something together with some of FBM's Lux-HQ or HD36-HQ foam in a 5" or 6" base,  and top it with a 2" latex piece?
What would any of you suggest as a reasonable alternative to achieve what I'm looking for?

Where else is there that we can buy foam like this (latex or regular) that is not marked up rediculously? 

Thanks!
Bill

Re: Hello again. Glad to see this forum still here. Have a question or two.
Reply #1 Apr 10, 2014 4:12 PM
BillB wrote:

I was hot on the trail of finding out about mattresses several years ago and somehow found this site. I was an active member here for a year or two. Was very happy this was here as it was the only thing I could find that was objective in any way to discuss and learn about mattresses, foam, etc. After about 6 mos of learning, I pulled the trigger and bought a mattress and topper from foam by mail.  A king size regular firmness 6" latex core, and a 2" osft firmness latex topper. This was a compromise at the time as my wife is a side sleeper and me more of a stomach sleeper.       The mattress has done well over 6 years and really doesn't feel any different than it did when it was new. At least I can't detect any difference. I put this on top of 2 regular twin sized box springs made to 5".... the whole setup was right at $1000 in 2008. I took a bunch of pictures as I was setting it up as no one had done that up till that point in time, and I wanted to show other people what this looked like coming out of the box, being setup  etc.. I just notice today the picture hosting service seems to have lost some of the pics from my post. just emailed them to see if they could find...   

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-foambymail-8-latex-mattress-actual-setup-pictures/9029-0-1.html

For me, I had no problems with FBM. Others here said to stay away, many like me thought they were fine. What I was interested in was the actual performance of the mattress.
And not whether it was 'pretty' foam. I wanted the best price I could get for a decent genuine product.

I'd like to recreate something like this in another area of my house. 
Would like a touch firmer base than I have now. I think the original core from FBM was 29 and the topper was 20.
What foam could I use (not latex as the core) to get something just a touch firmer?
Has anyone here tried to put something together with some of FBM's Lux-HQ or HD36-HQ foam in a 5" or 6" base,  and top it with a 2" latex piece?
What would any of you suggest as a reasonable alternative to achieve what I'm looking for?

Where else is there that we can buy foam like this (latex or regular) that is not marked up rediculously? 

Thanks!
Bill

Bill.  I am happy to hear that your latex mattress you purchased 6 years ago feels the same today as it did back then.  That is always a key question for many people who wonder about the longevity of mattress materials.  

Your idea about making a base out of cheaper material is great.  As long as it can provide support it does not need to feel good up against your body.  Latex is fantastic but it is also relatively expensive.  The Lux-HQ you referred to has a 50IFD rating which is much firmer than what you have.   For a touch firmer than what you have, the HD36 is 35IFD.  $191 for a queen seems to be a pretty good price.

After looking around for a while I found a couple similar options at a different internet retailer http://foamforyou.com/queen_foam_mattress.htm.  Their luxury-firm and premium-medium seem similar to the two above with IFDs of 45-55 and 33-39 respectively.  Not sure why they have a range rather than a number.  Does that mean their materials are more variable than FBM or does FBM just average ranges?  The price is just about the same so I was unable to find you the silver bullet.  I think you found your own silver bullet when you decided on cheaper material for the base.  Mattdud
Reply #2 Aug 8, 2014 5:54 PM
Thanks for the response. You're right, I think the 36 firmness would be better with the foam than the 50

I went on FBM's site and put together 8" of foam with a 4" base of 36-HQ and two 2" latex toppers - one soft and one medium.
These could be swapped around to find the right feel.  The 1" latex toppers scare me as the stuff is fragile and can rip if you're not careful or even if someone jumped hard on the bed.
Also  put in a nice terrycloth cover, (which I own now on my bed).
If this works, this would be a nice price for a Queen sized bed.
This is just in the thinking stage at this point as I have no urgency...

Bill 

HD36-HQ Foam   Standard Mattress Thickness:  4" MattressSize: Queen 60" x 80"               - $126.99

Talalay Latex Foam Toppers  FoamType: 2" Medium - 29 ILD TopperSize: Queen 60" x 80" -  $189.99

Talalay Latex Foam Toppers  FoamType: 2" Soft - 22 ILD   TopperSize: Queen 60" x 80"      - $179.99

Terrycloth Cover CoverSize: Queen 60" x 80"  Thickness: 8"                                                     - $69.99

Total: $566.96

Reply #3 Aug 13, 2014 2:45 PM
Let us knows how it sleeps.
Reply #4 Aug 19, 2014 7:47 AM
Thank you for posting those pictures back when (very helpful) and for posting about performance after several years (excellent!).

Reply #5 Aug 19, 2014 8:00 AM
Would that firmer HQ foam ever get "wells" since it is not latex?

Would the firmer HQ foam work on an adjustable bed?

Recent Posts