Considering Stearns and Foster Estate Luxury Firm
Sep 8, 2013 10:07 AM
I've read extensively on this site and others and have picked up the need to steer away from pillow top and even plush models of "S" company beds because of the inevitable degradation of the materials they use.  I've also seen a number of folks recommending an ultra-firm inner-spring mattress such as the Stearns and Foster Twila ultra-firm together with some kind of topper for comfort.  I've been leaning towards this last solution, but am not sure I have the time and attention span to go through the whole "design your own topper" thing.  Also my wife thinks I'm over-analyzing (as I m won't to do) and just wants me to go out and buy a damn mattress.  

I am away at the moment and would like to find a bed that we can each respectively try out in our respective locations and know for a fact that the Twila ultra-firm without any softening topper will be too firm for her.  Too firm for me as well, although I'm willing to endure until I can purchase a topper if that indeed proves the best route to go.  But what would be nicer is if I could buy with confidence the Estate Luxury Firm model, which is basically firm but has some comfort built in, with the idea of supplementing with a topper at a later time if the built in foam starts to deteriorate or if we discover that the bed is just not soft enough for us (although I'm pretty confident it will be).

My basic question is whether this sounds like a sensible strategy.  It strikes me that the relatively minimal amount of comfort foam material in the Estate Luxury Firm model means that whatever problems generally develop with these foam comfort layers might be expected to be less severe and hence more easily remediable at a later date with an additional topper should that prove necessary and desirable.  Is this a sensible point of view?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Mike

Recent Posts