800 Mattress Question - Serta vs Serta (2x cost diff?)
Feb 23, 2008 3:31 PM
So I called 800 Mattress, and amazed that they could bring a mattress TODAY.  Anyway, he said how about a Serta Baldwin Ultra Plush for $1599  I asked why the Serta Ultra Plush Sedona was $800 from Costco. He claimed that the mattress from him is different than the mattress from Costco and you are also paying for service from him (they let you exchange for a different model for $59 within the first month)? 

However, the coil counts seem the same to me from the different Serta models and they are both ultra plush. How can the 800 Mattress.com place be worth TWICE the cost of the Costco one?
This message was modified Feb 23, 2008 by novahelp
Re: 800 Mattress Question - Serta vs Serta (2x cost diff?)
Reply #5 Feb 24, 2008 2:12 AM
Novahelp,

I just saw this mattress on Overstock.com made by Spring Air. Looks comfy! Great pricing, too.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Spring-Air-Bianca-Plush-Twin-Mattress-Set/2876368/product.html?fp=f&cid=128214#
Reply #6 Feb 24, 2008 5:22 AM
Many stores sell the same--or very close to it--mattress as other stores under different names so you can't easily comparison shop. And actually when you get right down to it, most mattresses are basically the same: Foam, usually low density PU, over springs. Some mattresses have more foam than others. Some have a bit of latex or memory foam, some have a higher coil count or heavier gage wire, some use pocket coils, some use bonnel springs, but if the construction sounds the same they probably are. 

800 Mattress comes right out and tells you that you are paying a premium for their service. Besides that they charge you $59 to exchange the mattress if you don't like it??? What a deal!!! Costco is selling you the mattress at a deep discount. If you don't like it you can return it for a full refund without any service or restocking fee. If 800 Mattress' "service" and additional exchange fee is worth paying twice as much for then go ahead and buy from them. Sounds like Costco gives you more for less.

This message was modified Feb 24, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #7 Feb 24, 2008 8:19 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
Novahelp,

I just saw this mattress on Overstock.com made by Spring Air. Looks comfy! Great pricing, too.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Spring-Air-Bianca-Plush-Twin-Mattress-Set/2876368/product.html?fp=f&cid=128214#

Thanks , however I am not sure I want to buy a mattress again without having tried it  first :)  i did it 2x now, and both times didn't work out...
Reply #8 Feb 24, 2008 8:20 AM
cloud9 wrote:
Many stores sell the same--or very close to it--mattress as other stores under different names so you can't easily comparison shop. And actually when you get right down to it, most mattresses are basically the same: Foam, usually low density PU, over springs. Some mattresses have more foam than others. Some have a bit of latex or memory foam, some have a higher coil count or heavier gage wire, some use pocket coils, some use bonnel springs, but if the construction sounds the same they probably are. 

800 Mattress comes right out and tells you that you are paying a premium for their service. Besides that they charge you $59 to exchange the mattress if you don't like it??? What a deal!!! Costco is selling you the mattress at a deep discount. If you don't like it you can return it for a full refund without any service or restocking fee. If 800 Mattress' "service" and additional exchange fee is worth paying twice as much for then go ahead and buy from them. Sounds like Costco gives you more for less.

That's true.  However, I really want a Cal King, and costco doesn't sell it in that size. 

There is a deal right now on the W Hotel bed Cal King for $840 delivered. Only prob, absolutely no returns or exchanges.  I am going to see it in the 800 mattress store this week and try it for 15 minutes! :)
Reply #9 Feb 24, 2008 6:23 PM
I think you mean the Sealy Baldwin Hills Ultra Plush, right?

"Comfort and quilt layers contain Sealy foams, FlameGuard Cashmere fiber, convoluted foam, Sculpture foam, memory foam, Sealy latex, Versare insulator and pressure point materials. Innerspring: 640 PostureTech Coil system. UniCased Edge and Base with Support Channels.
Coil Count: 782 in queen size
Mattress height: 15"
Color: Beige
Mattress is supported by a Shock Abzzorber Plus with steel center rail and metal corner guards. Mattress has four handles. "

My concern would be the following:

1) Sealy puts crappy foam in their mattresses and too much of it

2) Since this is an "Ultra Plush" model, chances are it has a whole bunch of crappy cheap polyurethane foam on top of the springs. You might ask them:

How many inches of and what type of foams are on top of the springs including the pillowtop?

Anything more than 2" of soft foam on top of a harder core piece and you are going to have bachaches in a short time.

Better to buy an ultra firm mattress and then add your own latex or memory foam toppers.

Buy the cheapest firmest bed you can find with a guarantee would be my advice.

Reply #10 Feb 25, 2008 5:50 AM
jimsocal wrote:
I think you mean the Sealy Baldwin Hills Ultra Plush, right?

"Comfort and quilt layers contain Sealy foams, FlameGuard Cashmere fiber, convoluted foam, Sculpture foam, memory foam, Sealy latex, Versare insulator and pressure point materials. Innerspring: 640 PostureTech Coil system. UniCased Edge and Base with Support Channels.
Coil Count: 782 in queen size
Mattress height: 15"
Color: Beige
Mattress is supported by a Shock Abzzorber Plus with steel center rail and metal corner guards. Mattress has four handles. "

My concern would be the following:

1) Sealy puts crappy foam in their mattresses and too much of it

2) Since this is an "Ultra Plush" model, chances are it has a whole bunch of crappy cheap polyurethane foam on top of the springs. You might ask them:

How many inches of and what type of foams are on top of the springs including the pillowtop?

Anything more than 2" of soft foam on top of a harder core piece and you are going to have bachaches in a short time.

Better to buy an ultra firm mattress and then add your own latex or memory foam toppers.

Buy the cheapest firmest bed you can find with a guarantee would be my advice.

I agree. But it's not just Sealy that puts the cheap foam under the hood. They all do.

Novahelp, is 800 Mattress the only store around? Shop around. Find one with a better return or exchange policy. And really, I can't stress enough the importance of buying a mattress with the least amount of foam and the best heavy gage coil unit you can find. You will be much better off adding your own toppers than you will buying a mattress stuffed full of crappy PU foam. It will soften up and sag in no time flat. Try not to be swayed by how nice foam ladden mattresses feel in the store. They don't feel that way for long.

Reply #11 Feb 25, 2008 11:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I am sleeping on a crappy spring mattress the last couple of nights, while I wish it had more support (its so soft the thing BENDS when I lay on it!), however  it is much nicer for me than all the foam I was using!  I really think now a decent spring bed and a couple layers nice foam is going to be perfect for me.

I am going to check out the W Hotel plush bed on Wednesday.  Its on sale for $840 california king delivered no tax.  Its basically the Simmons Beautyrest classic.
Only neg, it has NO returns allowed since it is such a "good" deal.
This message was modified Feb 25, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #12 Feb 26, 2008 2:34 AM
You can check out that mattress at various mattress shops. I tried it out at a place called Mattress Discounters. Remember, this will be pocketed coils. They aren't tempered and as strong as those such as LuraFlex and Bonnel or continous.

novahelp wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.<BR><BR>I am sleeping on a crappy spring mattress the last couple of nights, while I wish it had more support (its so soft the thing BENDS when I lay on it!), however  it is much nicer for me than all the foam I was using!  I really think now a decent spring bed and a couple layers nice foam is going to be perfect for me.<BR><BR>I am going to check out the W Hotel plush bed on Wednesday.  Its on sale for $840 california king delivered no tax.  Its basically the Simmons Beautyrest classic.<BR>Only neg, it has NO returns allowed since it is such a &quot;good&quot; deal.
Reply #13 Feb 26, 2008 7:30 AM
And remember pocketed coils aren't as durable or supportive. Generally not as good for heavier/bigger. There is no free lunch. It's not a "good" deal if you have to replace it in the near future. Breathe slowly into a paper bag until you're thinking clearly again.
Reply #14 Feb 26, 2008 9:04 AM
Oh, so a continuous coil such as a sealy is a better idea for me being 210lbs? Well, I will just go lay on it and see how it is...

800 Mattress actually has a store with the W Bed on display so I can try it..

On the other hand, if the thing lasts 3 yrs I will be fine with it as its only $840.  The other california king i can get is about $1600 so not sure i care
This message was modified Feb 26, 2008 by novahelp

Recent Posts