800 Mattress Question - Serta vs Serta (2x cost diff?)
Feb 23, 2008 3:31 PM
So I called 800 Mattress, and amazed that they could bring a mattress TODAY.  Anyway, he said how about a Serta Baldwin Ultra Plush for $1599  I asked why the Serta Ultra Plush Sedona was $800 from Costco. He claimed that the mattress from him is different than the mattress from Costco and you are also paying for service from him (they let you exchange for a different model for $59 within the first month)? 

However, the coil counts seem the same to me from the different Serta models and they are both ultra plush. How can the 800 Mattress.com place be worth TWICE the cost of the Costco one?
This message was modified Feb 23, 2008 by novahelp
Re: 800 Mattress Question - Serta vs Serta (2x cost diff?)
Reply #17 Feb 27, 2008 10:46 AM
mccldwll wrote:
"Description:

Senses an individual's body weight and responds with the appropriate support.

Analogy:

Like "motion sensor" lights in a backyard, dim at first, but bright when triggered by movement, the coil first cushions your body then firms to provide proper support where you need it most. "

Don't believe everything you read. It's marketing. Someday we may have mattresses with sensors (electronic or organic) and the equivalent of resistance pumps/valving (actually, I believe they exist now for specialized purposes but are $$$$$$$$$) but we ain't there yet. Sealy's "spring thing" is more like the anecdote about the person filled with wonderment at the ability of a thermos to keep hot things hot and cold things cold, and asking "how does it know?"

That's what I thought when I read the description :)  In the end, it's just a crapshoot with these things. 
Reply #18 Feb 27, 2008 3:27 PM
I don't know how much Simmons may have improved in the past 10 years but I can tell you that as of 10 years ago, their springs were very lightweight (read: apt to lose their support) and tied together so precariously that moving the mattress around can totally wreck them (read: delivery guys can screw them up bringing them to you or you can screw them up moving them to another room, etc.)

I was one of the original "Simmons haters" on this forum, as I had one that didn't even last a year before it was killing me (and that was before I had all these back problems from an accident, etc.)

Read a lot of reviews and do further checking before buying a Simmons.

I still say, go with strong springs (any brand that has decent springs), get the most ULTRA firm you can get (this basically just means "very little cheap foam padding" - as opposed to the pillowtop plush types which have "way too much cheap foam padding") and put your own toppers on top.

Reply #19 Feb 27, 2008 3:31 PM
Yep, I agree. That's my plan. Just trying to find a California King that won't cost me $$$$
The W Hotel is a PLUSH Simmons Beautyrest. Will report back later today
Reply #20 Feb 28, 2008 8:31 AM
Just checked out the W Hotel bed. It seems ok. Not sure how to evaluate the Springs.  Its amazing how different models with supposedly the SAME springs can feel DIFFERENT.
I keep trying to incorporate that I will add my own comfort layers, but on some beds the springs were so hard it felt like a wood board!

lol, why is this so hard!?
:)
This message was modified Feb 28, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #21 Feb 29, 2008 12:10 AM
novahelp wrote:
Just checked out the W Hotel bed. It seems ok. Not sure how to evaluate the Springs.  Its amazing how different models with supposedly the SAME springs can feel DIFFERENT.
I keep trying to incorporate that I will add my own comfort layers, but on some beds the springs were so hard it felt like a wood board!

I could be wrong, of course, because a mattress is a very individual thing.

But I really think how it feels doesn't matter all that much if you just get something with strong springs and little padding and then add your own toppers. I'd say, the firmer the better, as long as you don't feel the springs poking you!

Reply #22 Feb 29, 2008 5:54 AM
novahelp wrote:

Mattresses using the same coil unit feel different because of what goes over it. A mattress made with more precompressed material will feel much firmer than one made almost entirely of soft PU foam. And naturally the more foam the softer the mattress is going to feel no matter what's underneath it.

I don't know how reputable the store you were shopping at is, but the one I bought my mattress from has an excellent reputation so I just told the salesman I wanted a mattress with a good strong coil unit. He showed me the cut away of various mattresses so I could see the gage of the steel inside for myself. The mattress I chose not only had good sturdy coils, it had more of them in the center third of the mattress to provide better lumbar support.

Too bad they had to undermine all this nice support with cheap PU foam that only gets softer and less supportive as time goes by--but by buying a mattress with a basically sound support unit I know that I can replace the foam when the time comes and still have an innerspring that will last for at least twenty years.

Reply #23 Feb 29, 2008 6:59 AM
Here's a Sager66 post from a couple of months ago:

"The additional expense may not be justified, but a Simmons EverNu hotel mattress might be an option (if available to individual consumers). At least you could unzip the top and experiment with different latex and memory foam comfort layers."
Reply #24 Feb 29, 2008 5:55 PM
Dear mattress experts!

Need your advice as I'm getting frustrated with the shopping for the new mattress.

I keep seeing the advice of " going with strong springs (any brand that has decent springs), get the most ULTRA firm you can get (this basically just means "very little cheap foam padding" - as opposed to the pillowtop plush types which have "way too much cheap foam padding") and put your own toppers on top."

I found this Serta mattress hotel series online at Sam's club and wondering if it's a right one.

First of all it is double sided, means I can slip on both sides and it will require to flip it over from time to time. My understanding is that's a good thing. It is hard to find such mattresses anymore as the manufacturers shifted to non-flipping mattresses in the past couple years.

Second, my impression is that mattress has decent springs and little cheap foam. Please, correct me and provide your comments if I'm mistaken.

The bad thing is I cannot try it anywhere in the stores before buying.

Here's the specification of the Queen size mattress (Serta Master Suite Firm):

Mattress height - 10.5''

Innerspring:

Coil counts - 800, 14 3/4 Gauge

Continuous Wire Unit

6 Gauge Border Wire

Quilted Panel

1 Layer of Pillo Fill Plus

FireBlocker

7/8'' High ILD Convoluted Foam

1/2'' Quilting Foam

Patented Advanced Comfort Quilt Construction

Upholstery

1'' Firm Poly Foam

Insulator

Fireblocker Insulator Pad

Ticking

Designer Damask

Here's the marketing broshure for this mattress

http://www.serta.bc.ca/documents/MasterSuiteFirm.pdf

Thanks in advance for all you input

Reply #25 Mar 1, 2008 4:30 PM
Just ordered a Sealy Posturepedic Cushion firm.

http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=13753&SID=6

Coils seem good and strong, then i layer my latex on top and I hope it will be great!
Reply #26 Mar 1, 2008 4:47 PM
I think you will be happy and comfortable.   Please update us when you get your mattress. 

Recent Posts