Topic Thread

Return to Topic List
DianeK


Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Points: 404

4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Original Message   Feb 19, 2010 12:17 am
Quote Quote
I tried a foam combo at a store that makes foam mattresses today.  The topper was a 4lb 3 inch memory foam and felt very good (no pressure points after laying there for about an hour).  Then, when we got to the point of discussing a custom job, the owner recommended I go with the 5lb. memory foam instead of the 4lb., stating it would be more durable.  When I asked if it would feel firmer than the 4 lb.I had been laying on, he was very adament that it would feel exactly the same - just be more durable, but no, he didn't have a 5lb. topper for me to try.  Hmmm, I am suspicious.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DianeK

Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Post Reply
Leo3


Joined: May 3, 2008
Points: 827

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #5   Feb 19, 2010 5:05 pm
Quote Quote
DianeK wrote:
I tried a foam combo at a store that makes foam mattresses today.  The topper was a 4lb 3 inch memory foam and felt very good (no pressure points after laying there for about an hour).  Then, when we got to the point of discussing a custom job, the owner recommended I go with the 5lb. memory foam instead of the 4lb., stating it would be more durable.  When I asked if it would feel firmer than the 4 lb.I had been laying on, he was very adament that it would feel exactly the same - just be more durable, but no, he didn't have a 5lb. topper for me to try.  Hmmm, I am suspicious.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DianeK


As someone else said here, I think Jim, all memory foam does get softer in time (6 months or less) so the firmness factor goes to none.  My experience with 5 lb. memory foam on a Sealy Trueform is just that; less than 6 months no support and pain.
eagle2


Joined: Aug 17, 2009
Points: 542

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #6   Feb 19, 2010 5:14 pm
Quote Quote
Pete wrote:
Go with the densest foam possible. Denser = firmer. I'd LOVE some 8lb foam if overstock would sell me some!

Pete: You have me confused. I thought you hated overstock! In this thread here   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/overstock-full-it/9264-0-1.html  

You are so exasperated at them that you're ready to do almost anything to punish them.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this perspective.
DianeK


Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Points: 404

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #7   Feb 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Quote Quote
Sandman:  I am curious as to what the difference is between Aerus and Sensus...could you please expand on this?

As an aside, I had long ago rejected memory foam after a horrible three nights in a B & B on a Tempurpedic a few years ago.  After my husband had major surgery this fall, we needed to sleep separately, so he moved to the guest bedroom that has a run of the mill PU mattress but soon found it too firm for his battered body.  So we got the NovaForm 3" topper from Costco as an short-term solution for this foam bed and it was just the ticket for him.  When we first got it, I tried it for a nap and found it too firm under my hips and shoulders.  But now, after 4 months of him sleeping on it, it has softened enough that I can sleep on it too.  So, the king Serta upstairs has been abandoned for the queen foam.  Finding it ridiculous that we are cramming ourselves onto a queen when we have an empty king (that is not as comfortable) has sent us on a search for a new king foam bed (can't do latex, been there, done that, flobeds people were great but it just didn't work - I won't repeat the lonnnnnng story, suffice to say it is in this forum's archives).

So, back to my original question on this page: Aerus vs Sensu.

Thanks, DianeK

sandman


Joined: Oct 15, 2009
Points: 966

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #8   Feb 19, 2010 8:35 pm
Quote Quote
DianeK wrote:
Sandman:  I am curious as to what the difference is between Aerus and Sensus...could you please expand on this?

As an aside, I had long ago rejected memory foam after a horrible three nights in a B & B on a Tempurpedic a few years ago.  After my husband had major surgery this fall, we needed to sleep separately, so he moved to the guest bedroom that has a run of the mill PU mattress but soon found it too firm for his battered body.  So we got the NovaForm 3" topper from Costco as an short-term solution for this foam bed and it was just the ticket for him.  When we first got it, I tried it for a nap and found it too firm under my hips and shoulders.  But now, after 4 months of him sleeping on it, it has softened enough that I can sleep on it too.  So, the king Serta upstairs has been abandoned for the queen foam.  Finding it ridiculous that we are cramming ourselves onto a queen when we have an empty king (that is not as comfortable) has sent us on a search for a new king foam bed (can't do latex, been there, done that, flobeds people were great but it just didn't work - I won't repeat the lonnnnnng story, suffice to say it is in this forum's archives).

So, back to my original question on this page: Aerus vs Sensu.

Thanks, DianeK

You can go to the rockymountainmattress or other website (try foamex).  The Aerus is made to be cooler (more air flow) and made in an enviromentally friendly way.  Sensus is more dense with a higher IFD firmness rating (14 vs. 12) and is suppose to be more sensitive to temperature changes.  How much of a difference in feel?  That is hard to say.  I don't think it will be a huge difference, but I don't think they will be identical either.  The only way to know is to try them yourself.  What may seem like a small difference to some might seem like a big enough difference to you to prefer one over the other.    From the rockymountainmattress website:   Aerus , Sensus.

DianeK


Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Points: 404

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #9   Feb 19, 2010 8:43 pm
Quote Quote
Thanks, Sandman.  I will follow-up on your links.

DianeK

Pete


Joined: Feb 2, 2010
Points: 88

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #10   Feb 20, 2010 4:16 pm
Quote Quote
Pete wrote:
Go with the densest foam possible. Denser = firmer. I'd LOVE some 8lb foam if overstock would sell me some!


This was sarcasm. And yes, memory foam does not offer support, it's only function is to add a plushness factor. 2" is my recommended thickness. It will bottom out; so make sure that whatever is under the memory foam is firmly supportive. There is no such thing as supportive memory foam. THAT is an oxymoron. HOWEVER, I love the effect of 2" Sensus in my very firm mattress. Memory foam is funny, the more you compress it the higher the ILD gets. Think about it. 5lb foam that is compressed to half thickness will then have a effective density of 10lb. So on the pressure points, it is especially useful. BUT NOT TOO THICK!!!
This message was modified Feb 20, 2010 by Pete
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Post Reply
More Information
Help Help
Member List Member List
Moderator List Moderator List
Recent Posts
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - sandman
    Yesterday 4:07 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Sep 1, 2014 4:16 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Aug 31, 2014 6:12 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - sandman
    Aug 29, 2014 3:39 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Aug 28, 2014 8:32 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - sandman
    Aug 28, 2014 7:18 pm
  • Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Aug 28, 2014 1:39 am
  • Re: Is this statement true about memory foam topper thickness? - BeddyBye
    Aug 28, 2014 1:33 am
    Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forum    Reviews    About    Contact   
    Copyright ©1998-2014, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42