4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Feb 19, 2010 12:17 AM
I tried a foam combo at a store that makes foam mattresses today.  The topper was a 4lb 3 inch memory foam and felt very good (no pressure points after laying there for about an hour).  Then, when we got to the point of discussing a custom job, the owner recommended I go with the 5lb. memory foam instead of the 4lb., stating it would be more durable.  When I asked if it would feel firmer than the 4 lb.I had been laying on, he was very adament that it would feel exactly the same - just be more durable, but no, he didn't have a 5lb. topper for me to try.  Hmmm, I am suspicious.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DianeK

Re: 4 lb. vs. 5 lb. memory foam
Reply #1 Feb 19, 2010 12:19 AM
The ONLY memory foam product I recommend is the Sensus 5.3lb topper. Anything less is crap.
Reply #2 Feb 19, 2010 12:55 AM
Pete, you didn't mention if you thought the 5 lb would be firmer than the 4 lb.  (I simply can't go firmer than what I was lying on today).  The brand they use is Aerus, which I have always thought is of the same quality as Sensus.

Thanks.

DianeK

Reply #3 Feb 19, 2010 12:02 PM
DianeK wrote:
Pete, you didn't mention if you thought the 5 lb would be firmer than the 4 lb.  (I simply can't go firmer than what I was lying on today).  The brand they use is Aerus, which I have always thought is of the same quality as Sensus.

Thanks.

DianeK

I doubt they will feel exactly the same.  The 5lb. might feel a littler firmer and more supportive.  The Aerus and Sensus are made with a different process, so they will not be identical.  I am surprised that they will not let you try the 5lb.  first.   If they are so adamant that they are the same, then they should let you return the 5 lb. if you do not find it identical.

They are right that the 5 lb. will probably last longer (at least that is the conventional wisdom).  

Most people will find 3" of memory foam too soft and not supportive, so be aware of that.  Are you buying the whole mattress or just the topper?   The foam will probably soften over time, so be aware of that as well.

Reply #4 Feb 19, 2010 4:53 PM
Go with the densest foam possible. Denser = firmer. I'd LOVE some 8lb foam if overstock would sell me some!
Reply #5 Feb 19, 2010 5:05 PM
DianeK wrote:
I tried a foam combo at a store that makes foam mattresses today.  The topper was a 4lb 3 inch memory foam and felt very good (no pressure points after laying there for about an hour).  Then, when we got to the point of discussing a custom job, the owner recommended I go with the 5lb. memory foam instead of the 4lb., stating it would be more durable.  When I asked if it would feel firmer than the 4 lb.I had been laying on, he was very adament that it would feel exactly the same - just be more durable, but no, he didn't have a 5lb. topper for me to try.  Hmmm, I am suspicious.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DianeK

As someone else said here, I think Jim, all memory foam does get softer in time (6 months or less) so the firmness factor goes to none.  My experience with 5 lb. memory foam on a Sealy Trueform is just that; less than 6 months no support and pain.
Reply #6 Feb 19, 2010 5:14 PM
Pete wrote:
Go with the densest foam possible. Denser = firmer. I'd LOVE some 8lb foam if overstock would sell me some!

Pete: You have me confused. I thought you hated overstock! In this thread here   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/overstock-full-it/9264-0-1.html  

You are so exasperated at them that you're ready to do almost anything to punish them.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this perspective.
Reply #7 Feb 19, 2010 8:06 PM
Sandman:  I am curious as to what the difference is between Aerus and Sensus...could you please expand on this?

As an aside, I had long ago rejected memory foam after a horrible three nights in a B & B on a Tempurpedic a few years ago.  After my husband had major surgery this fall, we needed to sleep separately, so he moved to the guest bedroom that has a run of the mill PU mattress but soon found it too firm for his battered body.  So we got the NovaForm 3" topper from Costco as an short-term solution for this foam bed and it was just the ticket for him.  When we first got it, I tried it for a nap and found it too firm under my hips and shoulders.  But now, after 4 months of him sleeping on it, it has softened enough that I can sleep on it too.  So, the king Serta upstairs has been abandoned for the queen foam.  Finding it ridiculous that we are cramming ourselves onto a queen when we have an empty king (that is not as comfortable) has sent us on a search for a new king foam bed (can't do latex, been there, done that, flobeds people were great but it just didn't work - I won't repeat the lonnnnnng story, suffice to say it is in this forum's archives).

So, back to my original question on this page: Aerus vs Sensu.

Thanks, DianeK

Reply #8 Feb 19, 2010 8:35 PM
DianeK wrote:
Sandman:  I am curious as to what the difference is between Aerus and Sensus...could you please expand on this?

As an aside, I had long ago rejected memory foam after a horrible three nights in a B & B on a Tempurpedic a few years ago.  After my husband had major surgery this fall, we needed to sleep separately, so he moved to the guest bedroom that has a run of the mill PU mattress but soon found it too firm for his battered body.  So we got the NovaForm 3" topper from Costco as an short-term solution for this foam bed and it was just the ticket for him.  When we first got it, I tried it for a nap and found it too firm under my hips and shoulders.  But now, after 4 months of him sleeping on it, it has softened enough that I can sleep on it too.  So, the king Serta upstairs has been abandoned for the queen foam.  Finding it ridiculous that we are cramming ourselves onto a queen when we have an empty king (that is not as comfortable) has sent us on a search for a new king foam bed (can't do latex, been there, done that, flobeds people were great but it just didn't work - I won't repeat the lonnnnnng story, suffice to say it is in this forum's archives).

So, back to my original question on this page: Aerus vs Sensu.

Thanks, DianeK

You can go to the rockymountainmattress or other website (try foamex).  The Aerus is made to be cooler (more air flow) and made in an enviromentally friendly way.  Sensus is more dense with a higher IFD firmness rating (14 vs. 12) and is suppose to be more sensitive to temperature changes.  How much of a difference in feel?  That is hard to say.  I don't think it will be a huge difference, but I don't think they will be identical either.  The only way to know is to try them yourself.  What may seem like a small difference to some might seem like a big enough difference to you to prefer one over the other.    From the rockymountainmattress website:   Aerus , Sensus.

Reply #9 Feb 19, 2010 8:43 PM
Thanks, Sandman.  I will follow-up on your links.

DianeK

Reply #10 Feb 20, 2010 4:16 PM
Pete wrote:

This was sarcasm. And yes, memory foam does not offer support, it's only function is to add a plushness factor. 2" is my recommended thickness. It will bottom out; so make sure that whatever is under the memory foam is firmly supportive. There is no such thing as supportive memory foam. THAT is an oxymoron. HOWEVER, I love the effect of 2" Sensus in my very firm mattress. Memory foam is funny, the more you compress it the higher the ILD gets. Think about it. 5lb foam that is compressed to half thickness will then have a effective density of 10lb. So on the pressure points, it is especially useful. BUT NOT TOO THICK!!!
This message was modified Feb 20, 2010 by Pete

Recent Posts